Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1785

Poor choice of words?

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    The one thing that was obvious, he is painfully close to being ready if he is not there yet. At least that is how I felt while watching him.
    How about "very close to being ready"? Nothing painful about it!

Psychological Lift...

Hi,

Even if Kyrie does not play a single minute. To have him practicing with the team (hopefully soon) and sitting on the sideline dressed to play will be a huge emotional boost to our guys. I don't think they will see him as a crutch, but as rocket fuel. I laugh when I read things about his being somehow a distraction or how having Kyrie play (even for five minutes) is a detriment to the team. Remember, this is a kid who is going to be, most likely, the first pick in the draft and we have a guy name Mike Krzyzewski coaching the team.

GO KYRIE!
    GO DUKE!

To some people on here that have brought up the point that Kyrie Irving would take away from the team effort in practice is not a great argument. There is no way that Nolan and Kyle will let any guys not go all out on him to ensure he is ready, plus Coach K knows when his guys aren't going all out, so he'll be watching that closely. Also he is coming back because Nike specifically designed a shoe for him, so he himself is not worried about re-injuring it. That is the most important aspect of this because if he feels safe with his toe there will be no reason for him not to return unless his parents don't want him to risk it at all. Also with chances of a lockout he would be sitting out anyways, so what's the harm of him actually playing basketball? All in all I am extremely confident that he will return 10 or more minutes in the first 2 games then a week off until the sweet 16 where he could go a lot harder for longer. I could be wrong, but Coach K wouldn't have let him talk if he didn't think he would be returning.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Hey, wait a minute here. I did not see that listed anywhere on GoDuke.com for their sports.
    Baseball
    Basketball (M)
    Basketball (W)
    Cross Country
    Fencing
    Field Hockey
    Football
    Golf (M)
    Golf (W)
    Lacrosse (M)
    Lacrosse (W)
    Rowing
    Soccer (M)
    Soccer (W)
    Swimming & Diving
    Tennis (M)
    Tennis (W)
    Track & Field
    Volleyball
    Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Remember, too, that Kyrie never really played much point until this year. So you could have Seth bringing the ball up, with Nolan and Kyrie on the wings.
    Well, when Nolan's in the game with Seth (and no Kyrie), Seth rarely brings the ball up, so I doubt that would change if you insert Kyrie into the scenario.

However, I agree with those who said when Kyrie plays it will be with Nolan, rather than replacing Nolan. Nolan is the ACC player of the year and on all-ACC defensive team. He has shown an aptitude for playing 38 to 40 minutes a game. What do we gain by replacing that with Kyrie, even if Kyrie is just as good (or better, although I suspect he'll need a fair amount of game time before he again reaches that level).

Seems to me what Kyrie brings is best used in combination with Nolan. Having two lockdown backcourt defenders can totally shut down a guard-oriented team, and should be able to at least disrupt most if not all opposing offenses. And when we're on offense, if Nolan and Kyrie are in together, who is the opponent's best defender going to guard? Add in Kyle and it makes it that much more troubling for opposing defenses. And if we go small, there will be nobody left to guard Andre or Seth at all. And all this is true even if Kyrie is only three-quarters speed, because our opponents will have to respect his full potential even if he isn't exhibiting it on the court.

By the way, I said "Andre or Seth" in the above paragraph, but because of Seth's size, our "small" lineup will most likely contain Andre rather than Seth. I continue to believe there will be few opportunities for Nolan/Kyrie/Seth to play together. Seth will probably be the guy to spell both Kyrie and Nolan, which should still leave plenty of playing time for him since I doubt Kyrie will be playing big minutes.

Of course, all the above is contingent on Kyrie actually playing again. From what everyone's saying I still don't put the odds at much better than 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    But if we DID, we all know who would be the starting center (or hole set, if you want to sound cool!)
    Yep. Patrick "Seahorse" Davidson!

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim9279 View Post
    Also with chances of a lockout he would be sitting out anyways, so what's the harm of him actually playing basketball?
    I don't buy this logic at all. If he re-injures himself, and is labeled "injury prone," it could severely hurt his draft stock. And that's a great deal of harm. He should (and will) only play if his chance of injury is essentially the same as everybody else's. The lockout will not have any bearing on this particular decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't buy this logic at all. If he re-injures himself, and is labeled "injury prone," it could severely hurt his draft stock. And that's a great deal of harm. He should (and will) only play if his chance of injury is essentially the same as everybody else's. The lockout will not have any bearing on this particular decision.
    I think a toe injury has a much different connotation than a knee injury. I don't think the toe will have any effect on his draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Why?

The amount of money and support that Nike gives to college athletics (of which Duke University receives a lion's share) is enormous. As a track fan, I see the amount of money they give to athletes who otherwise could not afford to compete.
    Well, for the one reason I mentioned. I didn't like supporting Nike who then was paying Dennis Rodman... so it was a principle thing at that time (I really do not like Dennis Rodman).

Also, I never liked the shoes. When I was doing a lot of running back when I was active duty, I had a pair or two and they were not supportive enough. I found that I liked ASICS much better and even New Balance...

Well, when Nolan's in the game with Seth (and no Kyrie), Seth rarely brings the ball up, so I doubt that would change if you insert Kyrie into the scenario.

However, I agree with those who said when Kyrie plays it will be with Nolan, rather than replacing Nolan. Nolan is the ACC player of the year and on all-ACC defensive team. He has shown an aptitude for playing 38 to 40 minutes a game. What do we gain by replacing that with Kyrie, even if Kyrie is just as good (or better, although I suspect he'll need a fair amount of game time before he again reaches that level).

Seems to me what Kyrie brings is best used in combination with Nolan. Having two lockdown backcourt defenders can totally shut down a guard-oriented team, and should be able to at least disrupt most if not all opposing offenses. And when we're on offense, if Nolan and Kyrie are in together, who is the opponent's best defender going to guard? Add in Kyle and it makes it that much more troubling for opposing defenses. And if we go small, there will be nobody left to guard Andre or Seth at all. And all this is true even if Kyrie is only three-quarters speed, because our opponents will have to respect his full potential even if he isn't exhibiting it on the court.

By the way, I said "Andre or Seth" in the above paragraph, but because of Seth's size, our "small" lineup will most likely contain Andre rather than Seth. I continue to believe there will be few opportunities for Nolan/Kyrie/Seth to play together. Seth will probably be the guy to spell both Kyrie and Nolan, which should still leave plenty of playing time for him since I doubt Kyrie will be playing big minutes.

Of course, all the above is contingent on Kyrie actually playing again. From what everyone's saying I still don't put the odds at much better than 50/50.
    Really? Why so low? Everything I see is pointing to him coming back... warming up with the team Sunday in uniform, his own comments, the fact that he is being allowed to talk about it now.

What are you seeing or what am I missing???

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Really? Why so low? Everything I see is pointing to him coming back... warming up with the team Sunday in uniform, his own comments, the fact that he is being allowed to talk about it now.

What are you seeing or what am I missing???
    He has yet to run with the team in a real practice. There is always the potential for a setback, and even a little setback would make it very difficult for him to come back in time. Plus, there is also the specter of his father being extremely cautious (for good and obvious reasons), and that adds a level of uncertainty that is difficult to quantify.

Don't get me wrong, I am still hopeful, and when I say "50/50" it is clearly a very uninformed and unscientific assessment of the probability (with absolutely no inside information), but until I hear that he has had two or three full speed practices without mishap, and/or his father or the coaching staff announce he's going to play, it's hard for me to say it's more likely than not that he'll get on the floor during the games.

He has yet to run with the team in a real practice. There is always the potential for a setback, and even a little setback would make it very difficult for him to come back in time. Plus, there is also the specter of his father being extremely cautious (for good and obvious reasons), and that adds a level of uncertainty that is difficult to quantify.

Don't get me wrong, I am still hopeful, and when I say "50/50" it is clearly a very uninformed and unscientific assessment of the probability (with absolutely no inside information), but until I hear that he has had two or three full speed practices without mishap, and/or his father or the coaching staff announce he's going to play, it's hard for me to say it's more likely than not that he'll get on the floor during the games.
    I'm with Kedsy on this one. I certainly was encouraged by what we saw and heard this past weekend, but the fact remains that Kyrie still has not received medical clearance to resume full basketball activities (i.e. practice) and that Coach K said that a decision on his playing is not imminent . While getting medical clearance could happen any day, until it does, I also don't think we can say with any degree of certainty that he'll be back. That being said, I certainly wasn't discouraged by all of the recent events; I just don't think we should get our hopes up too high quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ... Then again, there's always water polo. Oh, wait a minute, I don't think we have a water polo team.
    Duh, horses don't like the chlorine in the water. Carolina made theirs into a dance team.

Plus, there is also the specter of his father being extremely cautious (for good and obvious reasons), and that adds a level of uncertainty that is difficult to quantify.
    The thing is, he's not going to get drafted without demonstrating somewhere sometime before the draft that he can still play. There is caution, and then there is running scared. Even if the reasoning is good, it surely is not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Duh, horses don't like the chlorine in the water. Carolina made theirs into a dance team.
    Unfortunately, no:

Saturday, October 2, 1010
    10:00 Duke University vs. University of North Carolina 5-18

http://www.collegiatewaterpolo.org/c...lanticSchedule

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    The thing is, he's not going to get drafted without demonstrating somewhere sometime before the draft that he can still play. There is caution, and then there is running scared. Even if the reasoning is good, it surely is not obvious.
    All he would need would be private workouts, which he's going to need whether he plays again for Duke or not, and I doubt those workouts would be full contact or pose anywhere near the risk of injury of an NCAA tournament game. I'm not saying I personally would agree with holding Kyrie out of games based on this reasoning (I wouldn't), but the reasoning does seem obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    LOL! Too funny! Thanks for the laugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    Saturday, October 2, 1010
    10:00 Duke University vs. University of North Carolina 5-18
    I had no idea the rivalry went back 1000 years.

I had no idea the rivalry went back 1000 years.
    It's actually older than that...

Ok, very logical assessment. I cannot argue against any of your points. I guess I would go 70/30 if I had to throw a percentage at it. Like you no inside info, just trying to interpret the tea leaves, and the wild card may in fact be KI's dad and his influence. I totally understand the caution...