Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Do they have a decent backup for Marshall?
    No, nor one in the incoming class.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I would caution those who would throw this kid to the wolves to wait a while and find out why it is really happening. The Jay Cutler fans from Chicago went off the deep edge only to find out there were good reasons he didn't play. Maybe there are good but undisclosed reasons for Drew to transfer.
    A fair point. The possibility exists that this transfer may have nothing to do with basketball.

I'm kind of sad about this - as a Duke fan I really liked seeing Drew II in the UNC lineup
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No, nor one in the incoming class.
    Strickland likely becomes the back-up point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Strickland likely becomes the back-up point guard.
    Yup. Which is saying the same thing I'm saying.

Maybe they'll get a transfer a-la Knox.

Of course, we didn't have a true pg last year or between Kyrie's injury and return this year. So it can be overcome. But harder to prevail with a young team I think.

I congratulate him for having the courage to quit and move his life in a different direction. The timing mid-season obviously isn't great, but if he was that unhappy then he needed to make a change.

Talking Let's Call It What It Is

Larry Drew II quit on his team -- as in "Q-U-I-T." He was playing 20+ minutes per game for a national power that is doing quite well these days (unfortunately, in my view). And he played well the last couple of games. I can't imagine Papa Drew thinks this is good for his son. I can't imagine that it would be good for the psyche of the Carolina team. And I can't imagine it would be good for Drew II over the long haul.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Larry Drew II quit on his team -- as in "Q-U-I-T." He was playing 20+ minutes per game for a national power that is doing quite well these days (unfortunately, in my view). And he played well the last couple of games. I can't imagine Papa Drew thinks this is good for his son. I can't imagine that it would be good for the psyche of the Carolina team. And I can't imagine it would be good for Drew II over the long haul.

sagegrouse
    Well, I think the UNC fanbase had already quit on Larry. Sure we criticize our players, but some of the things I've seen said about him on boards are just wrong. Support your guys.

perhaps he is leaving to pursue his music career

Quote Originally Posted by tb3 View Post
    perhaps he is leaving to pursue his music career
    He's going to be JJ's DJ :P
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6089805

I hope they can recover from this and still pull together a decent season, for the sake of enjoying beating them 2+ times this year.
    Not, I; I will be VERY pleased to defeat UNC-CH twice in regular season play (and, potentially, again in the ACC Tournament). If Drew II's departure and the concomitant, short-term impact on team cohesion and effectiveness makes this easier, more likely, and more devastating, then I am ALL FOR IT. In fact, another NIT bid for the 'heels would not upset me in the least.

sagegrouse
    Agreed and this leads me to think, as another poster already said, that there may be something else involved. Just to quit because you lost your starting job and many of your team's fans are down on you would be a sign of bad character and monumentally stupid.

Seriously

This hurts Kerlina's defense, because Marshall isn't the quickest of point guards.

We'll see how Strickland is at the point. I think he's up to the job defensively, but offensively he can be a little erratic.

Hurry Up

Marshall, Strickland, and Bullock

vs.

Nolan/Dre/Seth/Tyler and maybe Kyrie

Can Feb 9th PLEASE be tomorrow??????

How deep is the Dry Rot?

sagegrouse

For a player with the potential and the background of Drew II to quit NOW, when the ‘Heels finally appeared to be successfully regrouping, in the absolute center of critical ACC play that will determine post-season prospects, and when he seems -- at long last -- to be making real contributions to the team, is simply astonishing. IMHO, it indicates many things about Drew II’s character that are not at all positive. The essential question, however, is will the team and the program quickly rebound after losing a potentially divisive player, or does the “dry rot” run deeper, possibly including Coach Williams' leadership and stewardship?

While leaving Carolina thin at point guard, this smells to me like addition by subtraction for Carolina. I agree with the others who have noted this is a sad day for Duke. On the other hand, perhaps the workload will be too much for the freshman Marshall, who will wear down the stretch ... leading to a fine early post-season exit for the Tar Heels?

This just might make UNC a better team. Guy is a nut case, turnover jesus, and brick artist, overall everything I want in a UNC point guard.

I think it will be interesting to see how they rebound from this. It could be a rallying point for the whole team to come together or it could break all the chemistry they were developing. Marshall will obviously see an increase in minutes but Roy seems to be slowly developing the kid so I'd say 25 minutes is more realistic than 30 minutes. Strickland might see a little increase in minutes but is already at 25 and who knows how good he will be at the point. Hopefully, he struggles trying to stay involved in the offense as well as getting others involved. But I guess the real consequences come with the extra 15 or so minutes between Bullock and McDonald. Can they handle the extra workload and will they be as efficient playing those extra minutes?

I agree with those who are hesitant to leap to any conclusions until we have more information about the reason for the change. If it does turn out that he is leaving b/c he lost his starting position, then good riddance, but I would not be surprised if something else were going on. The timing is certainly unusual- as was the case with the Wear twins.

His loss will definitely hurt. He was a servicable back-up who much was much less prone to turnovers when he didn't have the pressure of being the main engine for the offense. Plus, he played good defense. Strickland really struggled as a PG and we have no one coming in next year. Ugh.

And I think some people underestimate Drew and bought way too much into his criticisms. Sure, UNC fans criticized him a lot but looking at their response, many of their levelheaded fans seem to realize that this is truly a loss. His scoring and shooting wasn't great but he was 3rd in A/TO in ACC play (For comparison Nolan leads in assists but is nowhere to be found in A/TO). Marshall is ahead of him in assists but behind in A/TO which means that both Marshall and Smith commit more TO's than Drew does. And it isn't a straight swap as somebody else needs to pick up Drew's minutes. Having a pass first PG as both seemed to be was working out with the scoring load being on the backs of Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Strickland, Bullock, and McDonald. Now it seems one of them, probably Strickland will lose some offensive efficiency and it remains to be seen what type of PG he will be.
    Last edited by sporthenry; 02-04-2011 at 01:22 PM.