Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    When the youtube came out with the Drag Queen crying and screaming for people to LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE (Brittany Spears)... this applies for Larry Drew II also.

WE, on this forum do NOT know what the boy has been through or is going through. He could have deep depression, or simply DOES NOT like basketball at all. WE know his Mother is Whack, and his Father, is Powerful and controlling (Nba coach), and no one knows what this young kid is dealing with on a daily basis.

HE may not even like playing basketball. He maybe playing Ball to live his Father's dreams out all over again. Roy may or maynot have been truthful with the kid. That is between them.

WHAT if this young man, is going through depression, with all the Drama, hype, and the backlash that the UNC fans have given him for the last 2 years, and HE tries or does something to himself.

Since, he cleaned out his locker, and rolled out of Chapel Hill, back to LA in a quick and quiet manner.. HE did that, because he needed to escape THE UNC PRISON SYSTEM.

So lets all respect LD2 and leave him alone, and not bash him and talk about him in a negative way (LIKE the Tar HeelS are on Inside Carolina). I read some of that forum last night, and it made me sick. Those people on IC are so immature and insensitive to their players, coaches, staff). In a scenario, if LD2 was to take his own life or be in an accident....... all of those Tar Heel bashers on IC and on the sports radio, would be singing a different tune). I think the kid is SCREAMING OUT for some HELP. Thats my opinion. But from his recent actions, and that they were so Over the Top... there are deep issues and concerns that need to be addressed. I am not a DR PHIL, or PSY md, but I know when someone is REACHING out for HELP!
    (Charlie Sheen is another that needs help and Lindsey Lohan, also)... waiting for both of them to be on TMZ like Anna Nicole and Michael Jackson.

LEAVE LARRY ALONE!!! And be classy, and not trashy like the Tar Heels!
    WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

Beating dead horses is a Carolina thing.

Why not lock this thread down and "And be classy, and not trashy like the Tar Heels!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    When the youtube came out with the Drag Queen crying and screaming for people to LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE (Brittany Spears)... this applies for Larry Drew II also.

WE, on this forum do NOT know what the boy has been through or is going through. He could have deep depression, or simply DOES NOT like basketball at all. WE know his Mother is Whack, and his Father, is Powerful and controlling (Nba coach), and no one knows what this young kid is dealing with on a daily basis.

HE may not even like playing basketball. He maybe playing Ball to live his Father's dreams out all over again. Roy may or maynot have been truthful with the kid. That is between them.

WHAT if this young man, is going through depression, with all the Drama, hype, and the backlash that the UNC fans have given him for the last 2 years, and HE tries or does something to himself.

Since, he cleaned out his locker, and rolled out of Chapel Hill, back to LA in a quick and quiet manner.. HE did that, because he needed to escape THE UNC PRISON SYSTEM.

So lets all respect LD2 and leave him alone, and not bash him and talk about him in a negative way (LIKE the Tar HeelS are on Inside Carolina). I read some of that forum last night, and it made me sick. Those people on IC are so immature and insensitive to their players, coaches, staff). In a scenario, if LD2 was to take his own life or be in an accident....... all of those Tar Heel bashers on IC and on the sports radio, would be singing a different tune). I think the kid is SCREAMING OUT for some HELP. Thats my opinion. But from his recent actions, and that they were so Over the Top... there are deep issues and concerns that need to be addressed. I am not a DR PHIL, or PSY md, but I know when someone is REACHING out for HELP!
    (Charlie Sheen is another that needs help and Lindsey Lohan, also)... waiting for both of them to be on TMZ like Anna Nicole and Michael Jackson.

LEAVE LARRY ALONE!!! And be classy, and not trashy like the Tar Heels!
    I agree with the basic thrust of your post- people have been exceedingly quick to rush to judgment regarding Drew. It certainly seems like he quit on his team, but there could very well be extenuating circumstances such as mental health issues that explain the decision. It does appear a difficult family dynamic- high expectations from both parents for someone whose ability seems to point to a career as a solid back-up- and that can be hard on a kid.

One point of disagreement...you are basically correct that many a UNC fan went a little too hard on Drew, but you are painting with an awfully broad brush when you bash as "trashy" the entire "Tar Heel" fanbase. There are a number of fans either (1) wishing LD II well or (2) calling for restraint in the criticism. It's easy to pick out the a-holes and hold them up as examples of the UNC fanbase as a whole, but take off the Duke glasses and read through the posts and you will see a more diverse set of reactions to Drew's baffling decision.

Bashing Him For His Play and Bashing Him For Leaving

Good Luck to you LDII

UNC targeting JUCO players to replace LDII

Didn't see this mentioned, but I may have missed it. Looks like Roy is looking at the College of Southern Idaho (where we found Carrick) to find a new PG for next season. Not going to find a high school player, so I guess he's going the junior college route.

Pierre Jackson - 5'10" - College of Southern Idaho (Las Vegas,NV / Desert Pines h.s.)
    Darius Smith - 6'2" - College of Southern Idaho (Chicago,IL / John Marshall h.s.; was @ UConn his Freshman year)
    Sam Grooms - 6'1" - Chipola Junior College (Greensboro, NC)

http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article30108.aspx

Some of my thoughts on Drew and UNC.

http://collegechalktalk.com/conferen...c/2.8.11sumner

Darius Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Didn't see this mentioned, but I may have missed it. Looks like Roy is looking at the College of Southern Idaho (where we found Carrick) to find a new PG for next season. Not going to find a high school player, so I guess he's going the junior college route.

Pierre Jackson - 5'10" - College of Southern Idaho (Las Vegas,NV / Desert Pines h.s.)
    Darius Smith - 6'2" - College of Southern Idaho (Chicago,IL / John Marshall h.s.; was @ UConn his Freshman year)

Smith was one of names floated here two years ago when Duke was short on guards.

Duke had at least a passing interest in Darius Smith when he was still in high school.

The problem with recruiting a PG this season is the fact that they have a top-level PG (Paige) arriving from the class of 2012.

So, how's this for a pitch? Son, you'll back up Kendall Marshall for one season and drop to third-team your second year here. You'll likely never start but we really need a practice player real bad.

Where's Jonathan Holmes when you need him?

The appeal of playing for Carolina and in the ACC and getting a free education at UNC likely would appeal to some people but would it appeal to anyone good enough to actually play in the ACC? It's not an easy situation.

The best-case scenario would be a 6-2 Justin Knox analog, one-and-bye-bye. But how many of those are floating around?

While UNC is very thin at PG, barring injury to Marshall they don't absolutely need another PG. Kendall Marshall has, so far this season, picked up 20 personal fouls in 390 minutes of playing time, slightly over 2 personal fouls per 40 minutes of action. Granted that he will need rest during games (not many guys can do what Nolan can do, particularly not their freshman year) and that will leave the Carolina offense being run, at times, by Strickland, or another player who is not a natural PG. Barring injury however, Carolina appears to be able to rely on Marshall staying out of foul trouble and staying on the court.

Drew gone

The reality is that Drew leaving may be addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbax View Post
    The reality is that Drew leaving may be addition by subtraction.
    I personally don't buy this argument. At least, not on the court. Maybe it helps the locker room morale which then bleeds to the on-court, but having Marshall and Drew as options at the point is much better than just having Marshall. While LDII wasn't a great PG, he played good D and had been playing well lately without turning the ball over. Now Carolina is going to be dependent on a freshman to man the point for 35+ minutes a game? Not an easy task. Marshall may be up for the challenge, but most freshman will struggle under certain scenarios in that situation. If he gets in foul trouble, then Strickland has to play the point. The loss of Drew definitely hurts UNC from an on the court performance perspective, but I can't say how it affects the team chemistry - it's possible it helps that, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Remember Roy's quote about parents?

“…I’ve got half the guys on my team that their mom and dad and their friends and everything think that they’re going to make $88 million. They could give a flip whether we win a game or not. They want their guy to get 37 shots and play 50 minutes in a 40-minute game." http://triadsportsdaily.com/post/2814452119

I wonder if Roy finally couldn't take it any more and let Drew's mom have a piece of his mind.
    I'm surprised I hadn't read this in the thread, and this is pure speculation, but when I read the quote the first time a few weeks ago, I was sure this was directed at Drew I. Drew I was sitting right behind him in UNC's loss to Georgia Tech, and these comments came the day after the game. Every recap of the game specifically mentioned that Larry Drew was sitting right behind the coach and the team.

I have no doubt that Larry Drew I read the comments from Coach Roy about this. I also have no doubt in my mind that he recognized that the comments were directed toward him (especially because the following games for UNC had Drew II playing from the bench). If I were LDI, I think I would be pretty angry to hear these comments in a public forum directed toward me. It is pretty insulting, especially when he is an NBA coach (who probably thinks that he knows better than ol' Roy), and especially if Roy hadn't first talked to him privately about the matter. I know I wouldn't want my son playing for a coach that publicly lambasts me to the media, fairly or unfairly.

I would not be surprised at all that the withdrawal had nothing to do with LDII at all, but everything to do with LDI. This would also explain why LDI called instead of LDII talking to Roy himself. LDI might have wanted to express his displeasure at both those comments as well as the lack of PT for LDII...not to mention making it clear to Roy that this was an LDI decision and not to give LDII a bad name for choosing it this way.

This would also explain LDI's apparent silence on the matter and why he didn't talk to his teammates and friends about it.

Like I said, this is all speculation. This doesn't exactly put the blame anywhere (we could blame Roy for fostering this situation, LD1 for meddling, or LDII for...umm..turning the ball over too much), but I think it might explain the dynamics of how/why it went down.

I have some sympathy for LDII - I think he was in the middle of a tough situation surrounded by big egos. I'm not sure he really had any choice in the matter. I also hope that he finds success at another program.

Now Carolina is going to be dependent on a freshman to man the point for 35+ minutes a game?
    Of course, we'd be doing about the same if Kyrie had not gotten injured.

Increasing Marshall's minutes is good for Carolina on the offensive end, and you could argue that the split they had between Marshall and Drew didn't allow either one to really blossom. So I do think they will have a better offense IF Marshall stays out of foul trouble (whcih he has done pretty well so far this year) and IF he stays healthy. So they have lost some margin for error but by and large have stepped up offensively.

Now, on the other end of the floor, Drew's defense was much better I think. We need to drive on Marshall every chance we get, and run him through screens all night. Even if we end up with some charges and blocked shots, we really need to attack inside and then kick out if open.

It's about time to start winding up for the game. 9F.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    I'm surprised I hadn't read this in the thread, and this is pure speculation, but when I read the quote the first time a few weeks ago, I was sure this was directed at Drew I. Drew I was sitting right behind him in UNC's loss to Georgia Tech, and these comments came the day after the game. Every recap of the game specifically mentioned that Larry Drew was sitting right behind the coach and the team.

I have no doubt that Larry Drew I read the comments from Coach Roy about this. I also have no doubt in my mind that he recognized that the comments were directed toward him (especially because the following games for UNC had Drew II playing from the bench). If I were LDI, I think I would be pretty angry to hear these comments in a public forum directed toward me. It is pretty insulting, especially when he is an NBA coach (who probably thinks that he knows better than ol' Roy), and especially if Roy hadn't first talked to him privately about the matter. I know I wouldn't want my son playing for a coach that publicly lambasts me to the media, fairly or unfairly.

I would not be surprised at all that the withdrawal had nothing to do with LDII at all, but everything to do with LDI. This would also explain why LDI called instead of LDII talking to Roy himself. LDI might have wanted to express his displeasure at both those comments as well as the lack of PT for LDII...not to mention making it clear to Roy that this was an LDI decision and not to give LDII a bad name for choosing it this way.

This would also explain LDI's apparent silence on the matter and why he didn't talk to his teammates and friends about it.

Like I said, this is all speculation. This doesn't exactly put the blame anywhere (we could blame Roy for fostering this situation, LD1 for meddling, or LDII for...umm..turning the ball over too much), but I think it might explain the dynamics of how/why it went down.

I have some sympathy for LDII - I think he was in the middle of a tough situation surrounded by big egos. I'm not sure he really had any choice in the matter. I also hope that he finds success at another program.
    Perhaps- Roy did say half the team of 15 - and if you get rid of the following players who have no shot at the NBA- Watts, Bolick, Hatchell, Cooper, Dupont, Crouch, Johnston- then that is virtually every one else- so it is hard to know whose family should be upset here as he basically called them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Perhaps- Roy did say half the team of 15 - and if you get rid of the following players who have no shot at the NBA- Watts, Bolick, Hatchell, Cooper, Dupont, Crouch, Johnston- then that is virtually every one else- so it is hard to know whose family should be upset here as he basically called them all out.
    I think he was intentionally not naming names. I think his reference was pointed, especially since the comment was one night after he had Drew I sitting right behind him (a fact that was pointed out in the AP recap and on tv several times). I think he was simply hedging so that he could tell any one of those parents "Oh, that wasn't directed at you."

Ol Roy had enough of LD. He was pretty crafty not sitting him until the new semester began. Pay back is sweet ol roy isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Of course, we'd be doing about the same if Kyrie had not gotten injured.
    if i may paraphrase:

"Kendall, I served with Kyrie Irving, I knew Kyrie Irving, Kyrie Irving was a friend of mine. Kendall, you're no Kyrie Irving."

I think this one's been beaten into the ground...

-jk