Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Larry Drew II leaves UNC MBB

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6089805

Another transfer out of the UNC program!

I hope they can recover from this and still pull together a decent season, for the sake of enjoying beating them 2+ times this year.
    April 1

Well this is an intriguing development.

Very interesting development. There had been rumors that he may transfer after last season, so this shouldn't come as a total shock despite the very odd timing of it. That being said, I'm not entirely sure how this effects the heels.

On the one hand this puts an immense amount of pressure on Marshall, who now has to run the entire show by himself. Can he handle running the point without LD2 there to spot him? LD2 actually has played pretty well in the backup role, so this no doubt hurts the heels from a pure basketball standpoint. I think the bigger variable though is team chemistry. If LD2's attitude has been part of their problem the past two years then this ultimately could help them. This makes even clearer that the team now belongs to the young guys, and I could see this being an event that brings the team closer together. Is that enough to overcome the large hole this leaves at the PG position? I'm not really sure, but I think it is possible that this isn't all terrible news for the heels.

Wow, I guess he didn't like losing his starting job and decided to take his ball and go home. Of course all the kerlina fans throwing him under the bus for the last year and a half probably didn't help either. AW.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6089805

Another transfer out of the UNC program!
    Unpossible. Transfers only happen at Duke.

This is a sad day for Duke basketball. At least we'll always have this.

With the Quickness

Man that was fast getting this up here. What a loser this guy is, leaving mid-season. Lose your starting job and just quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Man that was fast getting this up here. What a loser this guy is, leaving mid-season. Lose your starting job and just quit.
    That's the real question - who would *want* a kid that would transfer in February? It isn't even an end of fall semester transfer - that at least makes academic sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    That's the real question - who would *want* a kind that would transfer in February? It isn't even an end of fall semester transfer - that at least makes academic sense.
    Concordia University

drew

A couple of weeks ago, when UNC was struggling and nobody could understand why Coach Williams insisted on starting Drew ahead of Marshall, I was told by an UNC insider that the reason was that Roy was afraid that if he benched Drew for Marshall that he would lose Drew ... apparently that fear was real.

It's the timing that's shocking -- Drew can't help himself or his reputation by leaving the team in midseason ... I'm not sure what he gains.

If he leaves after the first semester, okay ... that makes sense -- he could be eligible at a new school in December of next year. But leaving now doesn't help a bit -- he still won't be able to play at another Division 1 school until the start of the 2012-13 season anyway. If he were unhappy, he should have left at the end of the season.

As it is, he sits out the rest of this season, all of next season, then plays one more season (2012-13). Crazy.

And the craziest thing is that he was starting to play well off the bench. The BC game Tuesday night might have been the best game he's played at UNC.

The more I think about it (and I'm thinking as I type this), there's got to be more to it than mere unhappiness over losing his starting job or seeing his playing time fall (he was still getting 20-plus minutes a game). I haven't got a clue what's going on, but it sounds like something ugly behind the scenes.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    That's the real question - who would *want* a kind that would transfer in February? It isn't even an end of fall semester transfer - that at least makes academic sense.
    More than that, it makes less competitive sense. When Olek transferred last year after finals in December, he started his transfer-sit-out countdown so he could start playing at the end first semester this year in Nevada. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Drew loses the rest of this season and all the way through next season, too, because he played for a month of the spring semester.

Thread title changed for clarity.

Calipari?

So this kid wouldn't be allowed to play again until 2013??? Or is my math off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    More than that, it makes less competitive sense. When Olek transferred last year after finals in December, he started his transfer-sit-out countdown so he could start playing at the end first semester this year in Nevada. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Drew loses the rest of this season and all the way through next season, too, because he played for a month of the spring semester.
    Thats Correct.

Lets wait and find out why he is leaving

That's the real question - who would *want* a kid that would transfer in February? It isn't even an end of fall semester transfer - that at least makes academic sense.
    I would caution those who would throw this kid to the wolves to wait a while and find out why it is really happening. The Jay Cutler fans from Chicago went off the deep edge only to find out there were good reasons he didn't play. Maybe there are good but undisclosed reasons for Drew to transfer.

IC musings should provide ample amusement for the rest of a rainy day.

Do they have a decent backup for Marshall?

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    IC musings should provide ample amusement for the rest of a rainy day.

There's already a thread about how to use his scholarship.

Stepping over the bodies while they're still warm. THAT's the "Carolina Way"

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Kendall vs. Tyler!

Remember a year ago when people here were all jazzed up about the fact that Tyler was kicking Kendall Marshall all around the gym as high school seniors, but their rivalry would likely have to be on the back burner this year because Drew and Kyrie were running the point at their schools? Hello, Feb 9 subplot!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, when UNC was struggling and nobody could understand why Coach Williams insisted on starting Drew ahead of Marshall, I was told by an UNC insider that the reason was that Roy was afraid that if he benched Drew for Marshall that he would lose Drew ... apparently that fear was real.

It's the timing that's shocking -- Drew can't help himself or his reputation by leaving the team in midseason ... I'm not sure what he gains.

If he leaves after the first semester, okay ... that makes sense -- he could be eligible at a new school in December of next year. But leaving now doesn't help a bit -- he still won't be able to play at another Division 1 school until the start of the 2012-13 season anyway. If he were unhappy, he should have left at the end of the season.

As it is, he sits out the rest of this season, all of next season, then plays one more season (2012-13). Crazy.

And the craziest thing is that he was starting to play well off the bench. The BC game Tuesday night might have been the best game he's played at UNC.

The more I think about it (and I'm thinking as I type this), there's got to be more to it than mere unhappiness over losing his starting job or seeing his playing time fall (he was still getting 20-plus minutes a game). I haven't got a clue what's going on, but it sounds like something ugly behind the scenes.
    This transfer, as noted, might help their chemistry, but Drew was a good defensive player. How it will work out will depend on how their other players step up, especially Strickland, who will have to back up Marshall.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-04-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: rumor

It could be Roy engineering the removal of a source of disharmony. Damn.

Drew the Deuce was a lightening rod for argument and controversy last season. His propensity to turn the ball over, poor free throw shooting, and rumors of transfer all ignited fierce debate on internet message boards. Furthermore, at times he appeared to be at odds with the coaching staff and appeared to lack intensity.http://viewfromthestudentsection.blo...-2011-unc.html