Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke Basketball Having Discussions to Play Chinese National Team

Not close to a done deal yet, but Duke officials are in discussion to have the team travel to China and play the national team over the summer break.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...national-team/

Jon Jackson, associate athletic director for university and public affairs, confirmed Trask’s statement, but said that “many stars have to be aligned” before the team agrees to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Not close to a done deal yet, but Duke officials are in discussion to have the team travel to China and play the national team over the summer break.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...national-team/
    That would be VERY cool! And a great chance, like we did in the UK a few years back, to get some early team practice in playing together for what will be a fairly young team - Rivers, Cook, MG, MP3, and the 3-4 Sophs (incl KI?).

Very interesting development, and I sincerely hope that it comes to fruition. Aside from being a great opportunity to expand the university's brand, it would be a great experience for the team. Beyond just the basketball aspect of it, I think it would be something really unique for them all to experience. It is also very interesting to me to think about the noticeable effort Duke basketball has made to expand into the Chinese market. First we broadcast a game in Mandarin and now we're discussing playing their national team. China is becoming a huge basketball market for the NBA, so I'm very happy to see Duke show how cutting edge we are for a college team by following suit.

Hope it's real early in the season. That's the trip from hell having made it several times. Also hope they take plenty of power bars and the like and don't drink the faucet water.

Um

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Hope it's real early in the season. That's the trip from hell having made it several times. Also hope they take plenty of power bars and the like and don't drink the faucet water.
    It's in the summer, like UNC's trip to the Bahamas last year. Is that early enough?

Hope it's real early in the season. That's the trip from hell having made it several times.
    It's easier if your upgrade clears

I've only made the trip once, and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. It is such a beautiful country, the people were very friendly and it is such a different culture that I think it would be a tremendous experience for a college basketball team. I hope they get the opportunity to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I've only made the trip once, and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. It is such a beautiful country, the people were very friendly and it is such a different culture that I think it would be a tremendous experience for a college basketball team. I hope they get the opportunity to go.
    I'm fairly certain Devilsfan is talking about the physical traveling part and flight being hellish, not the actual visit in China. Takes some people quite a while to get back into the groove of things after such a long journey and time difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm fairly certain Devilsfan is talking about the physical traveling part and flight being hellish, not the actual visit in China. Takes some people quite a while to get back into the groove of things after such a long journey and time difference.
    I believe you're right, but the payoff would be well worth it in my estimation.

One issue is that China requires a visa, unlike most European and many other Asian nations. And some players, including next year's freshmen, may not even have passports yet. I can't imagine procuring these documents would be a problem, but it is a rather laborious process for an entire team plus support staff to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    One issue is that China requires a visa, unlike most European and many other Asian nations. And some players, including next year's freshmen, may not even have passports yet. I can't imagine procuring these documents would be a problem, but it is a rather laborious process for an entire team plus support staff to go through.
    They only effort the players will have to put forth will be sitting for their picture and perhaps packing their suitcase. All of the other "effort" will be put forth by others.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Well it looks like the trip is happening with or without the Chinese National Team! And maybe Dubai! (at least according to the Duke Blue Planet twitter). Should be an amazing experience:

#@crazietalker Trip is going down even if we can't work it out with Chinese national team. Hitting multiple spots in China. Will be epic. about 5 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to crazietalker

# Looks like we're going to start next season like no season has started before... China, maybe Dubai! And then Maui! http://ow.ly/3PzM2 about 6 hours ago via TweetDeck

Sweet that would be great

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    That would be VERY cool! And a great chance, like we did in the UK a few years back, to get some early team practice in playing together for what will be a fairly young team - Rivers, Cook, MG, MP3, and the 3-4 Sophs (incl KI?).
    Any Chinese Luol Dengs we might be recruiting that might want to come watch?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Any Chinese Luol Dengs we might be recruiting that might want to come watch?
    Coach K said a while back we're not currently recruiting foreign players because their amateur rules are different and players get into eligibility issues/trouble to easily - think Kentucky. I guess if some kid who is 7' 5" tall, weighs 300 pounds and can run and jump like a gazelle said he wanted to come to Duke that philosophy might get revised...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com