Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This was a really important win. We can put the St Johns massacre in the rearview and be happy with a solid effort.

I think that the Smith and Singler foul trouble was a bit of a gift because it forced extended minutes for the Mason, Miles, Tyler, Andre, Seth line-up...what? Being unable to resort to Nolan and Kyle watching, those guys got aggressive and I think it help loosen them up. Even when Kyle was dominating on offense for the stretch in the second half, I thought it was bad for the team because we need some of these other guys to have a healthier offensive ego. Too often, it's Nolan pounding the ball looking for a gap. During our best stretches, guys like Seth were setting up Andre, in rhythm, squared to the basket. I like how we went early and often to Mason, we should have kept doing that.
    Agree with this - not sure why we stopped doing that after the first few minutes - Mason still had a great game overall but it didn't look like they could contain him. OTOH, man were those FT ugly...

That was a great game, I think it started from the tip when we went directly into Mase and he aggressively took it at Williams. I really liked TT playing the point and Nolan playing off the ball, I thought the offense flowed a little better. I also liked Mase setting screens, I think we had backed off of that in a few games and we don't have guards that can take guys off the dribble so the screen gives them that little edge to get the defender on their hip. Mase also made some good passes out of the post to shooters which reminded me of Big Z. What I didn't like about the game was the refs, I didn't like some of the ticky tack fouls called out front on our guards that weren't called on MD. I remember specifically Nolan trying to turn the corner and got bumped and almost lost the ball but no foul was called. What else can Singler do but stand there when Williams had the ball down low? Singler was standing straight up and Williams used his body to bump Kyle out of the way, foul on Singler. Are you kidding me? Good game by our guys to just play through it.

while TT caused some heart burn while trying to break the press, I didn't realize he had such a good stroke. His jump shot looks very fluid and he seems to shoot a decent percentage (although he has only made three, I think they said).

Mason looks like he has stopped shooting free throws and has started pushing the ball to the rim.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I am in the get rid of the black uniforms. The blue uniforms aren't what caused the loss to UConn, Trajan's walk did.

This was a good away win against our pretend rival. I am still waiting for this team to find it heart, soul & fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ...I also thought it might provide some better chemistry off the bench with Curry and Dawkins playing together. I see them as very complimentary, and I am guessing that they might look for each other out there, which they did last night (especially Seth looking for Andre) It might be a good look moving forward. I wonder if K will stick with that line-up for the State game?
    I could see that happening. Similar to last year when Z and Thomas started, then the Plumlees would come in for them together. Having that set rotation added a lot of predictability and was to the team's benefit. I also noticed Curry and Dawkins looking for each other - perhaps a sort of shared brotherhood of both wanting to get more playing time and get the ball more once they're in.

Several years ago I noticed something similar. Center Greg Newton would always scream for the ball in the post, but the guards would never throw it to him. But every time Roshown McLeod (another inside guy) would get the ball on the wing he would immediately throw it into Newt. It's like he could identify with how much Newt wanted the ball, so he was more likely to give it to him. At any rate, Curry and Dawkins are so dangerous and we'll need them to continue hitting big shots.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    my usual sites for watching games online were shutdown by the department of homeland security, and justin.tv had no feeds. I missed the game entirely.
    So the Md fans, with the rioting, setting fires, throwing objects with intent to injure, and using the mail and internet to threaten opposing players, have finally made it to the watch list?

They are ... wait for it ... TERRAPISTS!

Duke Basketball Saves Lives, Property and Upholds Public Safety!

I knew our players were heroic, but it turns out they're downright heros saving the welfare of Maryland students for them.

Who knew?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...--after-u.html

Man, what kind of bizzaro world is Maryland and its administration living in when they have to shine the Big D spotlight in the sky to have Duke quell civil unrest?

Too funny.

Keep TT starting at point

He doesn't give up the ball, except in the press, (he'll get better at that and also wasn't well supported last nite). He's a pass first PG but is getting more confidence to shoot when open and necessary, he keeps Nolan at his natural SG 2 guard position, and he plays good D.

TT also did well with Dré and Curry as 2/3 guards. Those guys were rock solid when Nolan and Kyle sat. Let TT's experience pile up from now til March and we'll have a capable point and some relief for Nolan to keep him fresh and able to concentrate on disrupting the defense with his penetration and three balls.

I know Nolan and Kyle are super fit and TV games give them a rest with all of the mandatory TO's, but keeping their mileage a little lower won't hurt a bit and it diversifies the team's offense and can pay off in March.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    I knew our players were heroic, but it turns out they're downright heros saving the welfare of Maryland students for them.

Who knew?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...--after-u.html

Man, what kind of bizzaro world is Maryland and its administration living in when they have to shine the Big D spotlight in the sky to have Duke quell civil unrest?

Too funny.
    As the final whistle blew on Wednesday night's game at the Comcast Center, the U-Md. students in the bars along Route 1 were in no mood to celebrate. There was no revelry, no flooding of the streets. Only dejected fans wondering whether this game is still even a rivalry.

"We feel like they're our rivals, but I don't think this game is more important to them than U-Va.," said Fernando Saltiel, 21, a senior studying economics. "I mean, it's pretty maddening that Maryland's not in it every year."

"To call it a rivalry, you need to have some sort of consistent competitiveness," added Ryan McCullin, 22, a senior English major. "We have the potential to be a top 10 program every year, and it just doesn't happen."
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Spawn View Post
    He doesn't give up the ball, except in the press, (he'll get better at that and also wasn't well supported last nite). He's a pass first PG but is getting more confidence to shoot when open and necessary, he keeps Nolan at his natural SG 2 guard position, and he plays good D.

TT also did well with Dré and Curry as 2/3 guards. Those guys were rock solid when Nolan and Kyle sat. Let TT's experience pile up from now til March and we'll have a capable point and some relief for Nolan to keep him fresh and able to concentrate on disrupting the defense with his penetration and three balls.

I know Nolan and Kyle are super fit and TV games give them a rest with all of the mandatory TO's, but keeping their mileage a little lower won't hurt a bit and it diversifies the team's offense and can pay off in March.
    I am in full agreeance with this, I like getting TT some time on the court for experience and keeping Nolan off the ball. Plus if TT can play 20-30 minutes and dish out assists, not turn the ball over and play good D it could really be the spark we needed.
    Last edited by sdotbarbee; 02-03-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Nice to see Mason doing good rebounding; he's getting Zoubesque numbers on the boards, although not quite as many on the offensive end. We need to have more Zoub-style rebounding and kickout to 'dre and Seth for 3s, which he did some of this game; then we could get it going again like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Man I hope this game is a turning point.

A nicely executed game tonight. Consider the fact that with 16 minutes left we had 4 guys on the floor with 3 fouls but still managed to play solid defense and keep the ball out of the post, for the most part... on the road. That is the most impressive facet of this win. K took the chance on the Terps' below average shooting perimeter players beating us and it worked out.

As a previous poster stated, I love seeing Singler working the mid-range game. His pull-up jumpers are deadly. And you could tell he REALLY wanted this game. A very nice game by Curry as well.

One red flag with this one is Duke's inability to stop any kind of transition. Once any team gets out running we don't react very well or show much poise. Our games have to stay halfcourt games - I think that may have become obvious already after the St Johns game.

Anybody could the number of times Bilas used the term "ball screen"?

Tyler got some great experience in this game. K kept trusting him even through some of his struggles. But for the most part Tyler came through.
    In addition to all your points here, I'd like to add one more thing that was notable and encouraging:

For about a 4-5 minute stretch at the end of the 1st half neither Singler nor Smith was on the floor and we continued to play well. I look forward to seeing the +/- on that period. The trial by fire in a tough building was nice to see. Our guys reacted well without the two leaders (and safety blankets) on the floor. I'm encouraged.

We just put a tough stretch of road games behind us. Now it's time to prove what we've learned and how we've improved. I'm ready to see the Dean Dome collectively cry.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I am in full agreeance with this, I like getting TT some time on the court for experience and keeping Nolan off the ball. Plus if TT can play 20-30 minutes and dish out assists, not turn the ball over and play good D it could really be the spark we needed.
    I agree with this I guess, but just to be clear, TT had 3 assists and 4 turns. So for your if... statement to be true, TT would certainly need to improve on his performance from last night. I believe that he is thoroughly capable of making that improvement if he keeps playing lots of minutes and gains experience under that sort of intense pressure. He can get there for sure, but he's not there yet. Totally normal for a Fr., and it would be sweet if he can get to that confidence/comfort level this year to pull a "Chris Duhon" for this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I agree with this I guess, but just to be clear, TT had 3 assists and 4 turns. So for your if... statement to be true, TT would certainly need to improve on his performance from last night. I believe that he is thoroughly capable of making that improvement if he keeps playing lots of minutes and gains experience under that sort of intense pressure. He can get there for sure, but he's not there yet. Totally normal for a Fr., and it would be sweet if he can get to that confidence/comfort level this year to pull a "Chris Duhon" for this year's team.
    Isn't that what I said? "I like getting TT some time on the court for experience" and "Plus if TT can play 20-30 minutes and dish out assists, not turn the ball over". Just wanted to point out we feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I find this so humorous compared to the posts (particularly after Cook committed) that wondered why we recruited Tyler, suggested he would never see the court and even a few suggesting he should transfer.

In particular, I remember MANY saying that Seth was our back-up point guard.

Kinda funny that Tyler is now starting, and he will soon be facing the PG he owned in high school - Kendall Marshall. Kendall is a great passer, but our biggest problem has been rotating to cover down low after penetration, and Kendall will NEVER get by Tyler off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Spawn View Post

I guess I'm in the minority, and I suppose you can't argue with results, but I think Tyler would be better for the team in the short-burst-of-energy role rather than as a regular getting 20+ minutes. His turnovers were not only against the press (which wasn't that intense of a press anyway), and a couple of those turnovers came from somewhat sloppy passes. And I felt he wasn't playing defense as well as in earlier games. Several people have mentioned that Maryland guards had their way with penetration, and Tyler was defending those guards much of the time. To me, he looked a little over his head, although having said that, if he continues to start and his confidence increases, I assume that could change.

I also thought Nolan looked a lot more tentative when he was teamed with Tyler, which minimized the supposed advantage of moving him to his "natural" position. (Although, granted, I've never entirely understood what "natural position" means in this context.)

I understand Tyler is only a freshman and this was his first start and I'm sure he'll improve and be a great player for us someday. But I thought he played much better in 12 minutes in the first Maryland game than he did last night. This season, moving forward, if it were up to me (and of course I realize it isn't) I'd like to see him in the 8 to 12 minute slot in the rotation rather than as a 20+ minute starter.

Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I find this so humorous compared to the posts (particularly after Cook committed) that wondered why we recruited Tyler, suggested he would never see the court and even a few suggesting he should transfer.

In particular, I remember MANY saying that Seth was our back-up point guard.

Kinda funny that Tyler is now starting, and he will soon be facing the PG he owned in high school - Kendall Marshall. Kendall is a great passer, but our biggest problem has been rotating to cover down low after penetration, and Kendall will NEVER get by Tyler off the dribble.
    So very true, but that is why you recruit multiple guys at the same position in case something like an injury happens. I think that if Kyrie doesn't get injured TT doesn't get to see the floor that much but it just shows what kind of high character guys coach K recruits, that they might see little action but they are ready when called upon. I too can't wait to see the TT vs. Marshall matchup but I hope to see the Irving vs. Marshall matchup in the final game of the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sorry, not even close. It's not just a teasing joke; Maryland really isn't our rival.
    Sorry, but I happen to like when Duke beats MD, especially because of the way their profane, obnoxious fanbase acts towards our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tina View Post
    Sorry, but I happen to like when Duke beats MD, especially because of the way their profane, obnoxious fanbase acts towards our team.
    I like it, too. I just don't think it compares to beating the Heels.

Talking Tyler Against St. John's

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority, and I suppose you can't argue with results, but I think Tyler would be better for the team in the short-burst-of-energy role rather than as a regular getting 20+ minutes. His turnovers were not only against the press (which wasn't that intense of a press anyway), and a couple of those turnovers came from somewhat sloppy passes. And I felt he wasn't playing defense as well as in earlier games. Several people have mentioned that Maryland guards had their way with penetration, and Tyler was defending those guards much of the time. To me, he looked a little over his head, although having said that, if he continues to start and his confidence increases, I assume that could change.

I understand Tyler is only a freshman and this was his first start and I'm sure he'll improve and be a great player for us someday. But I thought he played much better in 12 minutes in the first Maryland game than he did last night. This season, moving forward, if it were up to me (and of course I realize it isn't) I'd like to see him in the 8 to 12 minute slot in the rotation rather than as a 20+ minute starter.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Did anyone else notice how feisty and belligerent Thornton was in the St. John's game, even though he had three points and five fouls (one a T) in only nine minutes? He looked a lot tougher and scrappier than anyone else for Duke that day.

I think the coaches noticed, and they were looking for toughness as much as efficiency against the Terps, who themselves are tough but not efficient.

I also think that starting Tyler at the point does two things:
    • It enables Nolan to have more legs and stamina at the end of the game when he is really needed and really effective (eight points plus a gorgeous assist to Kyle in the last six minutes last night).
    • It also makes clear to Seth and Andre that their jobs off the bench are to bring beaucoup energy and instant offense, the latter a role they were both born to play.

sagegrouse