Duke gets all the calls? Not in the ACC this year!

Tonight's vast free throw discrepancy with Maryland highlighted an interesting trend in the ACC this year: Our opponents are outshooting us from the charity stripe. While this can probably be explained in part by our reliance on the three point shot, to me it should be offset by the fact that we tend to get fouled down the stretch in close games.

Here are the numbers:

Duke 15 - Miami 20*
    Duke 23 - Maryland 17*
    Duke 16 - Fla St. 18
    Duke 20 - Virginia 23*
    Duke 22 - NC St. 30
    Duke 26 - WFU 14
    Duke 19 - BC 9*
    Duke 16 - MD 27
    Totals: Duke 157 Opponents 158
    * at Cameron

By contrast, the other "favored son" of the ACC, UNC, has outshot ACC opponents 159-99 so far this year.

Statisticians and conspiracy theorists, have at it.

Luckey will never call more fouls on Duke's opponents than he does on Duke. His bookie would not stand for it.
    Ok I am just kidding....but he sure makes you think when you see him call one of our games.

I was amazed tonight as I looked at the box score. Duke had 21 personal fouls and Maryland had 20. Seemed a lot worse than that. I think the difference is Jordan Williams is great at getting fouled while shooting so the free throw differencial was ridiculous. Our bigs take fade aways with no contact. Good thing is we do not need them shooting foul shots unless it is Kelly.

GO DUKE!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

I put this on another thread but it will work here too. Packer keeps track of this every year.

http://packsmack.com/InfamousACCIndexCard/

Don't know you know

Don't you know that Duke makes more free throws than their opponents take cause they get all the calls. Wait, what's that? Not true. Most teams that win make more than their opponents take. Oh, my bad.

I thought early on they made some bad calls in favor of Maryland. Later on, when it still mattered I'll grant, they made some bad calls in favor of Duke. Hard to believe the difference was only 1 foul. I was amazed early on when Jordan Williams was only 4-5 and had 17 points. Good thing he's such a bad free throw shooter

My problem is the call where the defender is standing there, arms straight up, doesn't jump or reach. The shooter jumps up into the defender and takes a shot and they call a foul on the defender. Ridiculous call. Call it a charge or better call it a no call, but it infuriates me every time I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    ...My problem is the call where the defender is standing there, arms straight up, doesn't jump or reach. The shooter jumps up into the defender and takes a shot and they call a foul on the defender. Ridiculous call. Call it a charge or better call it a no call, but it infuriates me every time I see it.
    Yep. Last night there was a particularly egregious example. Davidson is standing basically next to the baseline, too deep to get a good shot up. Singler is standing right behind him, arms straight up in the air, in a legal defensive position. Davidson bends down and then jumps backwards hard, straight into Singler. Whistle blows, and they call the foul on Singler?!? Wha'?

When I reffed rec league games they made us take a referreeing course before they allowed us to ref. In that course I was taught that if the offensive player INITIATES the contact, it is an offensive foul.

The play I described should have been a foul on Davidson. I would have accepted a no-call. But there's no WAY that was a foul on Singler. Period.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. Last night there was a particularly egregious example. Davidson is standing basically next to the baseline, too deep to get a good shot up. Singler is standing right behind him, arms straight up in the air, in a legal defensive position. Davidson bends down and then jumps backwards hard, straight into Singler. Whistle blows, and they call the foul on Singler?!? Wha'?

When I reffed rec league games they made us take a referreeing course before they allowed us to ref. In that course I was taught that if the offensive player INITIATES the contact, it is an offensive foul.

The play I described should have been a foul on Davidson. I would have accepted a no-call. But there's no WAY that was a foul on Singler. Period.
    I would love to hear The Playcaller's take on this particular call.
    I certainly did not understand why that would be a foul on Kyle, unless we missed Kyle's arm making contact with the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    I would love to hear The Playcaller's take on this particular call.
    I certainly did not understand why that would be a foul on Kyle, unless we missed Kyle's arm making contact with the shooter.
    I'm still in disbelief over that one as well. Just because the guy initiates the contact backwards does not mean it cannot be called an offensive foul.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Another Jordan?

When did Jordan Davidson transfer? (I know it couldn't have been Patrick, because he would have done a mid-air somersault and dunked.)

Yep. Last night there was a particularly egregious example.
    Agreed, that was the one I was referencing. I know calling that one an offensive foul in College Park would have set the crowd on fire and initiated the Duke gets all the calls sham all over again. But definitely should have been a no call.