Charlie Chaplin movie question

The AFI movie thread made me remember that I have an old Charlie Chaplin movie. I remember my mother buying it at a an old junk barn when I was a kid ~45 years ago, but could never watch it becasue we didn't have the right kind of projector. It's on a small 3-4" reel but I have no idea how to tell the kind.

I held it up to the light to see that it is Chaplin in some old movie but that is all I know.

Anyone have any ideas of how I could watch / transfer this to a DVD? Or any other ideas what I should do with it.

Good luck

Sounds like an old 8MM film reel. Bell and Howell 8MM projector.

the internets

I've never tried it, but there seem to be a whole lot of companies out there who will do it for you. Here's one I found by googling 8mm to dvd
    http://www.homemoviedepot.com/

don't play it -- just have it transferred

I don't know where you live. But almost all large/mid-sized cities have several companies who will take your reel and transfer it to a DVD.

Since it's old and hasn't been played for a while, don't take the chance of splitting/splicing it by "checking it out." Just take it to a video/transfer company, ask for several copies of a DVD, and go from there.

If indeed it is an old Chaplin movie (and especially if it is something rare) there would a lot of interest if you want to sell it.

Sounds great. PLEASE re-post on DBR when you know what it is. I'm intrigued.

Thanks!

Thanks. I'll try to find a company in Pittsburgh that will transfer it to DVD.

in pittsburgh?

Hi. If you're in Pittsburgh, PA, call the folks at Performance Lighting & Grip Equipment. Even though my friend Gregg Johnston has probably retired, they are knowledgable -- and will probably have the BEST person/company for you to take your tape. Good luck. Jeanne Lange (...I only include my name in case Gregg J is still working there).

Thanks, dukemomLA. You must mean this place: http://www.perflight.com/
    I'll check it out.

Yes, that's the place, and if their website is up to date, it looks like Gregg Johnston still works there. If so, tell him what you need and that I thought he might know the best place in Pitts. for you. Good luck.