Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Andre?

Defense

It seems to me like Andre's defense has sagged greatly since the first half of the season. The first few games, he was playing great on the ball defense, helping out in the post, even guarding a few bigger players when we would go small. Now it seems he is trying to play defense with his hands instead of his feet-hence the fouling of jump shooters. I think this (and his lack of ball handing ability) have lead to an increase in opportunities for Tyler. I don't think Seth's recent scoring and defense has as much to do with Andre's lack of PT as Thorton's defense/energy.

During the Temple game, Andre was the third or fourth Player off of the bench. A month or two ago he would have been 1st or 2nd, depending on whether we were subbing a big or a guard. Everybody know the best way to get to Coach K's heart is through solid defense and as people a lot smarter than I have said, "You may shoot bad for a few games, but defensive intensity should never take a game off."

It must be terribly difficult to go through whatever Andre is going through on such a public stage. Each of us has, and many of us voice, opinions. The journey from boy to manhood is a challenging one and not without stumbles. For most those occur in private or only among a small circle. The fire that burned in him still exists, it is up to him to find a way to fill whatever emptiness he is feeling with that heat. I'm sure he is getting support from other players, from coaches, friends and family. Regardless of how he may perform as a Duke basketball player in the future, I am thankful for what he has already contributed and hope with all my heart he rises to his full potential.

Excellent Post

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaMinor View Post
    It must be terribly difficult to go through whatever Andre is going through on such a public stage. Each of us has, and many of us voice, opinions. The journey from boy to manhood is a challenging one and not without stumbles. For most those occur in private or only among a small circle. The fire that burned in him still exists, it is up to him to find a way to fill whatever emptiness he is feeling with that heat. I'm sure he is getting support from other players, from coaches, friends and family. Regardless of how he may perform as a Duke basketball player in the future, I am thankful for what he has already contributed and hope with all my heart he rises to his full potential.
    Boy, do I agree with everything you wrote. POTW in my book. Lots of pitchforks.