Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Andre?

not trying

Andre seem to me to be at the point where he is just going through the motions. He got reamed in that last time out and he deserved it, he threw a lazy cross court pass that Seth had no chance of getting to. He only made it worse when he gently loped down the court and made no attempt to block the shot. As of right now he's not out of the rotation but one or two more games with this type production and he will be. We will miss his shooting but Tyler brings everything to the the game that Andre doesn't and K knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by challenging someone's honest opinion in this way.
    I'm attempting to support our player. However, I agree with you we are all entitled to our own opinion.
    Bob Green

I sure hope Andre can bounce back from the funk he is in. He seems like a great kid, but I do agree he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. He really didn't seem to be giving much effort tonight. This would be a great chance for Nolan to become a mentor and use his experiences to help reinforce the idea that through time and hard work Andre could really take his game to the next level. However I predict he is really going to have to work hard to earn minutes given the redundancy we current have at his position and his lack of effort and interest he showed in tonight's game.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Young players often go through highs and lows, and Andre is no different. It could be a thousand different things going on, or off the court, could be confidence, could be maturity. Whatever it is, I agree with Bob that Andre will work through it and bounce back. Too much talent there for it not too.

He played really well out of the gate this year, then seemed to hit a wall in the first game with NC State. He has been up and down since then. I think at least part of it is maturity and needing to work harder off the court and on. Someone mentioned Nolan's sophomore year, and this is similar. Nolan decided to "go to work" and it paid huge dividends. I suspect it will be that way for Andre. It may take a Nolan or a Kyrie guiding him through the process.

Meanwhile, we should pull hard for Andre and give him time to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    Andre seem to me to be at the point where he is just going through the motions. He got reamed in that last time out and he deserved it, he threw a lazy cross court pass that Seth had no chance of getting to. He only made it worse when he gently loped down the court and made no attempt to block the shot. As of right now he's not out of the rotation but one or two more games with this type production and he will be. We will miss his shooting but Tyler brings everything to the the game that Andre doesn't and K knows that.
    Unfortunately, you're right. And it may get worse for him next year with Cook, Rivers, Seth, Tyler, and possibly Kyrie. If he doesn't work his butt off, he will find himself with almost no burn. He can turn it around, but it will require total dedication.

Andre is experiencing a problem that many good shooters experience. His problem is that when he isn't getting or making shots, he becomes frustrated, and lets it affect his entire game. Seth had a similar issue at the beginning of this season, but he has learned to compensate for shooting slumps by focusing more on ball-handling and passing on offense, and looking to pick up steals and stops on D. Excelling in these other areas has increased Seth's confidence, which in turn, has helped him become a more consistent shooter. This is what Andre needs to learn to do in order to become a more consistent player. If he does this, IMO, he has a chance to be a superstar.

I really love Andre and want to see him do so well, just like everyone else. It was hard to watch him tonight get some very "enthusiastic" coaching after that unfortunate pass (it was pretty clear it wasn't a good effort). As someone said above, I too hope that Nolan or Kyle can work with him in a mentor type of way to help him. I thought it was interesting in an interview that Seth gave (I think maybe it was after the UNC game but could be totally wrong) that Seth had talked to his brother and Steph had told him he needed to move more without the ball. I thought, yes, exactly, I hope that Andre heard that too. It seems like that advice could really help Andre as well on the offensive side of the ball.

I have faith in Andre and will continue to cheer hard for him and hope that his teammates will encourage him. He seems like such a great guy and has a great smile when he is enjoying himself on the court. I want to see that again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Young players often go through highs and lows, and Andre is no different. It could be a thousand different things going on, or off the court, could be confidence, could be maturity. Whatever it is, I agree with Bob that Andre will work through it and bounce back. Too much talent there for it not too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    It may take a Nolan or a Kyrie guiding him through the process. Meanwhile, we should pull hard for Andre and give him time to figure it out.
    Part of it is certainly maturity. It also may take the leadership or example of an upperclassman like Nolan to show him the way.

But personally I think Dre needs to look no further than the example set by Seth Curry. In the first half of the season I saw them as similar players in that neither one could find a way to create their own shot or be consistent. Seth however has played excellent defense all along, and after taking the advice of his older brother to "work harder off the ball to get your own shot" he has finally found his stride and established a stable place in the rotation.

It could be that Andre is frustrated by Seth's success (they compete at times for minutes at the same position), but he needs to follow Seth's example. Start with playing hard on D every play, work hard off the ball when on offense, and eventually your shots will fall.

Whatever it is I know that Dre will bounce back. Not because he has the talent, a lot players have that and never go anywahere, but because he is a Duke Kid and has great character. That will always come through.

Well said Wilson!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    He's suffered a dip in his confidence, owing primarily to some cold shooting, which has in turn led him to bring less than 100% effort and focus on every possession and at both ends of the floor. He has allowed a few bad calls and other moments of frustration to affect his demeanor way too much.
    This, as we know, is the easiest route to Coach K's (temporary) doghouse. Long-term, he will be fine, but for now, he's (probably rightfully) sitting and thinking a little bit, while watching others (namely, Seth Curry) parlay solid practice and continuous resolve into starter's minutes and strong contributions to the team.
    We all go through the fire and like that current Chrysler commercial says 'it's the hottest fire that forges the hardest steel.' Just think! of what Kyle has been through several times this season, with the shooting slumps all seeming to culminate in his scoring 2 points last game...and then Nate James losing his starting spot as a SENIOR...Andre, like many guys before him, has got to fight through his struggle and persist.

I think we can all learn a lot about life in general by watching the ways that our guys, over the years, have handled adversity, disappointment and failure. And, in watching that, it sort of gives perspective, some balance, and respect for struggle and trial as not a coffin but a coffee-maker.

dth.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed to me that most of his struggles started after his playing time was cut apart. He was shooting over 50% behind the arc for a solid chunk of the season. Maybe, from his perspective, having his PT cut despite that was disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed to me that most of his struggles started after his playing time was cut apart. He was shooting over 50% behind the arc for a solid chunk of the season. Maybe, from his perspective, having his PT cut despite that was disheartening.
    I think one could argue that he had his playing time cut because his effectiveness as a shooter and scorer decreased and not vice-versa. IMO, Andre's defense has declined and I think that is a direct result of his frustration in his play. I've also notice too that he tends to drop his head and appear frustrated when he didn't get the ball; and then he forces things when he does get it. I also think that he's still learning to develop counter moves when players guard him close in an effort to prevent him from shooting 3's. Maybe he could benefit from playing more minutes but right now, I don't think his effort and defense warrants extended minutes. Saying that, I, too, am pulling for him to get out of his current funk because he's too talented and too important to the team to stay in this funk.

Deja vu. Didn't we have this discussion about Mason last month? This is college ball. Players grow, develop, have setbacks. It's part of the game.

Andre has had a tough couple years. Let's give him the space to find his game without picking it apart.

-jk

It is definitely an interesting debate as to whether Andre would is playing poorly because he plays too little or vie versa. However, I have faith in K's philosophy that you have to earn every minute of playing time you get. Why? Because it builds the character that Coach K wants out of his players. Duke players are known for working their hardest when the going gets tough, and that's what has made us such a successful program during K's tenure. And besides, if Andre aspires to play in the NBA, he'd better get used to the "earning your PT" school of thought; VERY few young players are talented enough to just be handed playing time on an NBA team.

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Deja vu. Didn't we have this discussion about Mason last month? This is college ball. Players grow, develop, have setbacks. It's part of the game.

Andre has had a tough couple years. Let's give him the space to find his game without picking it apart.

-jk
    Yep, you're right jk. I just hope that like Mason, he continues to fight through this valley that he's in. I hate to bring up the word "transfer" in this discussion but I hope he falls into the same mold as Nolan, Zoubs, and others who chose to stick it out and perservere through their struggles; and get better because of it as opposed to falling into the mold of some of the players who chose to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If you really hated it, you wouldn't have done it.
    I noticed on another thread everyone jumped down a new poster's throat when he brought up the idea of transfers. Why is there such sensitivity about it?

I'm not saying that we should all fear the sky falling because a star player's PT drops.
    But a) we're all adults here
    b) we're all Duke fans (except for the occasional Kong or what have you), and
    c) this is a DISCUSSION board.

One of the reasons I read DBR instead of other Duke fan boards is that the discussion stays at a high, respectful, level. Mentioning that we have a crowded position and DISCUSSING whether that could affect _star recruits at that position deciding to attend Duke_ (such as Shabazz) or _players with great potential who might suffer further PT reductions contemplating transfers_ doesn't need to be off-limits.

UNC is a great program - god, I hate them! - but they're still a great program. Larry Drew gave very little inkling that he was going to transfer in the middle of the season, but that doesn't mean that a month ago on a UNC-version of DBR (which doesn't exist - don't get me started on IC), hypothesizing about the ramifications of Marshall taking his starting role should be illegal.

Can't we all just get along?

I was at the game against St. Louis when Andre basically behaved like a spoiled rec league kid when he was being "coached" on the sideline for missing what appeared to a defensive assignment. He argued with K first, then James while on the bench. It appeared that he felt he needed to be right in a situation where, most of us seasoned folks know, you just shut up, listen and process what your boss or superior is saying and if you need to state your case you do so at a later less passionate time... but he is young and has to learn.

However, since that I have noticed (albeit from a distance) a disappointing demeanor in Andre. He seems deflated and accepting of his diminished role, which is the surest way to even less PT.

I hope that at some point he snaps out of it and realizes that he alone controls his attitude, and that his attitude is the key to his success both on and off the court.

I really like the kid, but I must say that I am troubled from afar by what I have seen in his body language, especially with the lack of intensity and effort in the final minute of last nights game.

The kid has been through a lot, and I am really, really pulling for him.

Transfer Speculation Hate Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Zerogee View Post
    I noticed on another thread everyone jumped down a new poster's throat when he brought up the idea of transfers.
    Having spents LOTS of time here for the past ten years or so (lurked for a good while) I think I can explain this to you. Transfers are definitely a tender topic at ANY school, Duke included. Players transfers for so many different reasons (look at the situations of a Taylor King or a Larry Drew compared to Elliot Williams).

Transfer speculation is as spurious as recruiting speculation - only much less likely to be well informed. Recruiting threads go for thousands of posts and frequently lack and real substance until a player is signing (or Skyping) on the dotted line.

Long time loyal Duke fans care a lot about the well-being of all the Duke players. I think you would have a very hard time finding any fan on this board who carries ill will towards Elliot Williams. Andre is a special kid who has obviously had some unique circumstances in his first two years at Duke. He's got scads of talent and is extremely likable.

You also specified "new poster." Naturally, when an unknown comes to our board and starts stirring the pot, the veterans might circle the wagon and send out a troll posse.

My hope would be that the only transfer discussion on this board over the next several months is is some good-natured poking fun at our friends down the road.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Unfortunately, you're right. And it may get worse for him next year with Cook, Rivers, Seth, Tyler, and possibly Kyrie. If he doesn't work his butt off, he will find himself with almost no burn. He can turn it around, but it will require total dedication.
    This will be a good topic for the off-season but I think Andre will be competing for minutes primarily at 3 next year with Kyle gone. In that case he will most likely compete for playing time with MG, AR and maybe Alex Murphy if he comes early. Freshmen tend to struggle initially to learn Duke's defense so Andre's experience could set him apart if he chooses to become a leader as an upperclassman. I always love seniors the best who have struggled to improve, as Nolan has, so I really hope to watch Dre become a leader who has been through the fire over the next couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I was at the game against St. Louis when Andre basically behaved like a spoiled rec league kid when he was being "coached" on the sideline for missing what appeared to a defensive assignment. He argued with K first, then James while on the bench. It appeared that he felt he needed to be right in a situation where, most of us seasoned folks know, you just shut up, listen and process what your boss or superior is saying and if you need to state your case you do so at a later less passionate time... but he is young and has to learn.

However, since that I have noticed (albeit from a distance) a disappointing demeanor in Andre. He seems deflated and accepting of his diminished role, which is the surest way to even less PT.

I hope that at some point he snaps out of it and realizes that he alone controls his attitude, and that his attitude is the key to his success both on and off the court.

I really like the kid, but I must say that I am troubled from afar by what I have seen in his body language, especially with the lack of intensity and effort in the final minute of last nights game.

The kid has been through a lot, and I am really, really pulling for him.
    I was at the St. Louis game, too, though in the opposite corner, so I didn't see how Andre was reacting to Coach K. I completely agree with what you and others have said about his demeanor and posture during games. He looks very frustrated (putting his head down, shrugging his shoulders holding his hands up, trotting around the baseline instead of hustling) when he's open and doesn't get the ball, which I can understand to some extent. He had some open looks in one of the games, called for the ball, and he didn't get anywhere. When he does get the ball, he is trying to "get his" more than letting it come to him within the flow of the game. He's taken some poor shots for those reasons. Also, his defense hasn't been as crisp as TT's. His pass last night was very poor. I have no idea what he was thinking. I saw K reaming out in the time-out, and I think it was rightly deserved.

I can't help but wonder if Andre needs some more one-on-one mentoring to help him work himself out of this funk. We've heard how Curry has taken the observations and advice from Stephen (and the coaches) to help improve his game. Nolan has been very active in mentoring Kyrie (who sometimes seems to mentor Nolan), Tyler, and Josh off the court. I wonder if that would help.

I really want to see him work through this and get better. He was playing so well at the beginning of the season. I'm rooting for him, too!

Andre is one of my favorite players on the Duke team. I think his confidence is a little shaken but I think he will have a break-out game soon. However, I have noticed that sometimes he is wide open and calling for the ball and when an attempt isn't made to get him the ball, his body language says, "oh well". Let's remember that during the pre-season Coach K said Andre was one of the most improved players on the team and praised him for working on his defense. I am sincerely pulling for Andre to get back on track.