Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Curious about the crowd at Wake

ESPN showed the "Blue" crowd. The Wake crowd was pitiful. Is attendance down THAT much at Wake? What was going on? I kinda feel sorry for them if there was that many Dukies at their biggest game of the year.
    ~rthomas

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's pretty bad for the home team when Duke comes in, tickets are publicly sold, and it's still not a sell out. But then again, if you are a wake fan, do want to pay money to see a drubbing, or do you want to see it at home from the comfort of your couch? Same with Duke fans...this outcome was never in question, even weeks ago when tickets were on sale. I'm not surprised a bit at the crowd.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yep, as of Thursday plenty of tickets were still available in the upper deck. I wanted to go, but it was a bit too expensive for me.
    T '05, SOM '10

It wasn't markedly worse than the crowd balance at the GA Tech-unc game last weekend. Why, if your team opened its home slate by losing to Stetson, would you be especially eager to come and watch them play a top 5 team whom even Vegas has installed as a ridiculously large favorite, especially when you know that plenty of Duke fans are willing to pay you for your seats?

Duke fans came out in numbers today. A decade or two ago, this didn't always happen in the state.

Hate to say it

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke fans came out in numbers today. A decade or two ago, this didn't always happen in the state.
    Mark, but it's somewhat like Duke Football. But I'm hoping that's going to change beginning next year. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Not only true, but quite surreal. At least for this long-time fan. And it only took 30 years of Coach K basketball to do it! I've spent most of a lifetime as part of an exclusive minority, and don't know how to react to this. Is it good?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Not only true, but quite surreal. At least for this long-time fan. And it only took 30 years of Coach K basketball to do it! I've spent most of a lifetime as part of an exclusive minority, and don't know how to react to this. Is it good?
    There must be some drawbacks some way.

I'm going to go out on the thin branch of a tree and say that Stetson Hatters 89, Wake Forest 79 has something to do with the current state of affairs in the Lawrence-Joel grandstand.

The collective collapses in consecutive contests to the potent Presbyterian Blue Hose and the Richmond Spiders, in addition to an isolated loss to North Carolina-Wilmington, are probably equally as guilty.

But perhaps it's just amateurish popcorn at the stadium snack bar.

It does appear that their current record has a lot to do with attendance. I can't speak for the boosters or fans, but I have heard some discussion on the student section. The students turned out in full force for the Duke game, even though other games saw pitifully few students (not counting the games while the students are on break). Even though Wake was able to get it together to give Duke a run for its money for better than half of the game, many students have noted that they won't go back for another game.

My son, who is in his first year at Wake after transferring from State, is not happy with the student reaction. He texted me, "Yeah I would love for all games to be like [the Duke game]. And we would win our next game if it was like that, but everyone is even more discouraged now...which they shouldn't be." I think he's right.

Very sad for Wake Forest. The students could be having so much fun cheering (ask some of the Crazies from the leaner years of Duke Basketball, *nods to those of us from the Class of the Avuncular Letter*), which in turn helps lift their team...that's called a "home court advantage."

WFU

I went to the Duke WFU game on Saturday and I gotta say, I feel awful for those fans. I spoke with some WF fans in attendance in the row in front of me and heard their tale of woe. They lose Dino due to some apparent partying issue (I had not heard about this if anyone can shed any light on it), they lose their center due to some assualt issue, they lost their PG due to a broken foot. But let me say this, that Wake Forest team is NOT bad, and they will be back within the next two years. The only question mark on that squad is their coach, granted not the best question mark to have but still, at least you know the talent is there. It seems like all of their guards are attack guards and both big men can shoot. They have boat loads of talent, but they are very young. Also, I was thrilled when the Deacon came out on the motorcycle and with their tshirt gattling gun, that thing was too cool! However, very impressive win by the Devils, and GREAT game by Kelly. My father in law was not a Kelly fan before the game, but left cheering for him.

Quote Originally Posted by epoulsen View Post
    I went to the Duke WFU game on Saturday and I gotta say, I feel awful for those fans. I spoke with some WF fans in attendance in the row in front of me and heard their tale of woe. They lose Dino due to some apparent partying issue (I had not heard about this if anyone can shed any light on it), they lose their center due to some assualt issue, they lost their PG due to a broken foot. But let me say this, that Wake Forest team is NOT bad, and they will be back within the next two years. The only question mark on that squad is their coach, granted not the best question mark to have but still, at least you know the talent is there. It seems like all of their guards are attack guards and both big men can shoot. They have boat loads of talent, but they are very young. Also, I was thrilled when the Deacon came out on the motorcycle and with their tshirt gattling gun, that thing was too cool! However, very impressive win by the Devils, and GREAT game by Kelly. My father in law was not a Kelly fan before the game, but left cheering for him.
    1. Wake Forest is a bad team, that's the best they have played pretty much all year and that's sad.
    2. Look at what Colorado is doing this year without Bzdelick. Yes he got that talent there, but to all of the sudden blossom the year after he leaves makes me wonder.
    3. Talked to one of my good friends who played at Wake a few years back and he said Prosser actually brought this up to fans and told them he better not see it happen....Prosser, great guy.

That's all I got

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    1. Wake Forest is a bad team, that's the best they have played pretty much all year and that's sad.
    2. Look at what Colorado is doing this year without Bzdelick. Yes he got that talent there, but to all of the sudden blossom the year after he leaves makes me wonder.
    3. Talked to one of my good friends who played at Wake a few years back and he said Prosser actually brought this up to fans and told them he better not see it happen....Prosser, great guy.

That's all I got
    Better not see what again? A motorcycle? Or a low turn out?

Always, great to see droves of Duke Blue in an Away game. Great to see Duke blue, represents at the Wake game and the NCState game!!!! It makes it possible, for other Duke fans, to buy tickets, or bring a group of family to see the game. If, you aren't a Season holder with Duke, at least the AWAY games, are more affordable, to take a family... and you can buy direct from the venue... and not a scalper or broker or Ebay or Stubhub.

So glad, Duke BLUe represents at Joel Lawrence.

I was in the car and listening to Duke Radio.... got tickled at Bob Harris, commenting on the Smoke from the Motorcycle (during pregame, announcement of the Wake players). They have the same Pre-game now, for several years... I remember that back in 2004.

I like how Duke, changes their marketing and Pre-game, either every season, or every other. Keeps it new and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    My son, who is in his first year at Wake after transferring from State, is not happy with the student reaction. He texted me, "Yeah I would love for all games to be like [the Duke game]. And we would win our next game if it was like that, but everyone is even more discouraged now...which they shouldn't be." I think he's right.

Very sad for Wake Forest. The students could be having so much fun cheering (ask some of the Crazies from the leaner years of Duke Basketball, *nods to those of us from the Class of the Avuncular Letter*), which in turn helps lift their team...that's called a "home court advantage."
    My wife and daughter, both WFU alumna, are very discouraged. They are trying hard to have faith in Ron Wellman. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by epoulsen View Post
    Better not see what again? A motorcycle? Or a low turn out?
    What the thread is about.

Perhaps it's time for wake to lose the barfy tie-dye shirts and go with a new look.
    Kinda tired looking...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Perhaps it's time for wake to lose the barfy tie-dye shirts and go with a new look.
    Kinda tired looking...
    Yeah I thought it was pretty lame when it started, and it definitely isn't getting better with age.

My wife and daughter, both WFU alumna, are very discouraged. They are trying hard to have faith in Ron Wellman. We'll see...
    On an interesting note, Ron Wellman's brother was my high school guidance counselor in Ohio.

Then again, to most, I'm sure that's about as interesting as the basketball story of Chas McFarland.

I haven't seen Ron's brother in a long time, but I would be curious to hear his take on the situation. Even though Dino wasn't exactly "heating it up" in March -- Wake was a very average 1-2 in two NCAA appearances that included a really talented bunch of players, and never reached better than the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament -- he was seemingly well received and had Wake in the national picture.

Let's be honest when we stare into the mirror, Demon Deacons. You haven't reached a Final Four since before moon travel, and the last time you cut down the ACC nets, the Spurs had exactly 0 NBA championships. The Wake Forest as a national powerhouse ship sailed with Dickie Hemric.

Pics forthcoming...

I have a good friend that is a season ticket holder and he was nice enought to let me accompany him. 2nd row behind the basket...not too shabby. The incident with Seth Curry leading to the minor scrum happened right in front of me. Hope to post some pictures soon. I did notice a lot of blue and a lot of empty seats in the upper deck...and my friend told me that it was the biggest crowd of the year.
    Here's hoping a quick bounce back by the program...I like Wake and want to see them compete.

ARo24