Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Gone in 54 Seconds," January 27, 2001

It's hard to believe that the "Miracle Minute" was already ten years ago (my freshman year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

I also didn't realize that it was the same day as the Oklahoma State tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by TallMan View Post
    It's hard to believe that the "Miracle Minute" was already ten years ago (my freshman year).

Wow I had no idea of that either. I was at this game at Cole Field House and it was an unbelieable ending. I was basically sitting on my hands most of the game and when that game ended I felt the most unease I have ever been in all the years attending the MD/Duke game. I quickly got out of there (big grin on my face though).
    The Terrapin Assassin

I was watching in Wilson. As soon as we won, everyone ran out of their dorms on East to celebrate. I missed out on the spontaneous bonfire on West, which nearly cost us our bonfire permit for the second UNC game.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

10 year anniversary, a cause for celebration!!

I had called my closest Duke buddy and walked out of the room with just over a minute left. We were discussing how poor Duke had played. I walked back into the room just in time to see Jason hit the first 3 to cut it to 7. Then he got the steal and hit the 2nd 3. I had renewed hope and sat my rear back in my chair!

The rest as they say... is history!!

Interesting the announcers mention the Australian Open is coming on right after (and coverage then gets pushed back due to OT). I've been watching that grand slam the past two weeks!

Agassi and Capriati were the winners 10 years ago. How fast a decade goes by indeed.

Edit: I think that was probably the 100th time I've watch this video now =)

Despite my allegiances, I can't help but feel the slight bit sorry for Drew Nicholas every time I watch that. Gets it stolen from him by Williams, then clanks his two free throws, and misses the game winner at the buzzer. That has to have been the worst 60 seconds of his career.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Hard to think of a game where it looked so lopsided against us, but we won. Maybe Indiana in the '92 Tourney, where we got out @$@3 handed to us in the first half.

Ja-son Will-iams!

{CLAP! CLAP! CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!}

Miracle at Maryland.
    Last edited by pfrduke; 01-27-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: to avoid confusion with a manslaughterer...

Funny story about that game for me...I was a senior at Duke, and was with a bunch of my friends at Satisfaction's watching the game. With 1:30 left to go in regulation, I told the group that I wanted to leave because I didn't want to watch Maryland win the game. The group had to convince me to stay until the end of the game...I'm really happy that they were smarter than me on that day. Even now, they still give me grief over wanting to leave Satisfaction's, because if I had left, I would have never seen the comeback at all!

Bev and I have the game recorded on TIVO; we watch it several times annually, as much to prove the existence of a deity as to demonstrate the abiding love the almighty has for Duke and his well-warranted disdain for Maryland.

BYU is chanting overrated to the SDSU team with over one minute and an 11 point lead. Maryland also began chanting that night at Cole Field House and began moving down the seating section to storm the court. Then they had to go back to their seats 54 seconds later to watch a miserable overtime.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    BYU is chanting overrated to the SDSU team with over one minute and an 11 point lead. Maryland also began chanting that night at Cole Field House and began moving down the seating section to storm the court. Then they had to go back to their seats 54 seconds later to watch a miserable overtime.
    The difference is SDSU does not have a Jason Williams or a Shane Battier.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    The difference is SDSU does not have a Jason Williams or a Shane Battier.
    or a NATE JAMES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Despite my allegiances, I can't help but feel the slight bit sorry for Drew Nicholas every time I watch that. Gets it stolen from him by Williams, then clanks his two free throws, and misses the game winner at the buzzer. That has to have been the worst 60 seconds of his career.
    you felt bad for him??? my favorite part of the movie (besides of course all the Jason Williams heroics) is when I see him smirk as he lines up for free throws and clangs em both. so sweet.

Anybody have a higher quality recording than what's available on youtube?

I was watching in Wilson. As soon as we won, everyone ran out of their dorms on East to celebrate. I missed out on the spontaneous bonfire on West, which nearly cost us our bonfire permit for the second UNC game.
    My story is identical to yours, except substitute Aycock for Wilson. It was a magical night.

My parents went to that game. They had to leave with about a minute left 'cause my mom had health problems. As Dad pushed her wheelchair past the bronze Testudo out front, she reached out and grabbed his chin, looked him straight in the eye, and said, "You're cute, but you're going to lose." She always had weird affects on things. I've always credited her mojo with that win.

I was in Bangkok on a business trip, and getting game updates on a very slow dial-up connection. With a minute left I of course closed the computer figuring that was that. It wasn't till more than a day later that I got a newspaper with the polls or standings and saw what I thought had to be a mistake in the Duke loss column. I remember thinking that it was odd that Herald Tribune had made such a mistake, and it wasn't for another day or so that I found out what really happened.

From that time on, I have never turned off a game till the end. And I don't miss the dial-up days-

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Doesn't he also get blocked by Battier at the end of overtime? I'd have to watch it again. If you're going to feel sorry for anyone, how about Steve Blake? He always played great against Jason Williams, but then fouls out of a game that he thinks is a done deal, only to be forced to sit on the bench and watch his teammates waste all of his efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Doesn't he also get blocked by Battier at the end of overtime?
    My memory tells me that was Dixon, but my memory does funny things from time to time.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Ten years ago??

**** I'm old!! :/

Seriously though, probably one of the most pleasurable game watching experiences of my life. I got in the shower with about 5 minutes left because I was done with this game, only to come out just in time for the Miracle.

Jason was a freaking killer. When they got that second steal, you just knew they were going to win it. Unbelievable for that to happen twice in a 30 second span. J-Will had some active hands.