Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evan Almighty Getting Stomped

The reviews are out, and they are awful. Average grade a C-. People saying that it has no jokes - that it isn't funny at all. Hmmm. This is not good for my prediction of it being in the top 5 grossing films this summer....

I love me some Carell, but the trailers give me no desire at all to see this movie. It looks horrible.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I agree with Billy having seen the trailer-- if that the best minute of the movie they can come up with-- Steve Carell's beard turning into Noah's-- ouch. What were they thinking?

As soon as someone here sees it...

I'm really disappointed to read the above. As soon as some here sees it, will you please post a review? I'm hoping to see the movie this weekend, but if people who see it don't think it's worth it I'll look for something else to see.

Thanks!

I also put it in my top 5, in an office pool. I then watched a trailer and decided to kiss my money goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I also put it in my top 5, in an office pool. I then watched a trailer and decided to kiss my money goodbye.
    I told you to include Ratatouille, but you would not listen to me!!

-Jason "as an aside, the buzz on Transformers is really building, I may have been wrong about that one" Evans

I was disappointed by the trailer, and then even more last night from the sneak peaks that were shown during The Office.

The fact is that the ingenuity of the "Almighty" series really was played out in the first 1/3 of the "Bruce" installation. What was cool about it was the initial concept of being like God and a human using God-like powers. Jim Carrey did an awesome job of playing this out and maximizing its potential. The second third of "Bruce" was about him learning how to harness those powers, which was also cool, but you'll recall that, while the first 2/3 of "Bruce" was a great comedy with a compelling story, the wheels fell of in the last 1/3 of the movie.

The problem with "Evan" is that...well, it's all been done before. And on top of that, the story "Evan going to Congress to 'make a difference'" isn't nearly as compelling as the storyline from "Bruce" - "Bruce getting fired and using his God-powers to get back at people and smite them." This new one is stale and predictable. It's not a coincidence that Jim Carrey decided to pass on it.

Additionally, and I know I'll get reamed for saying this, I think Steve Carrell has had his day in the sun. He's just not all that good. From what I saw of the trailer and the sneak peaks, his character a) seems NOTHING like Evan Baxter from the first movie - a pompous, snotty nosed TV anchor and b) seems A LOT like Michael from The Office. I don't think he's nearly as good an actor and comedian as Jim Carrey and I think that shows on the big screen.
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-22-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I told you to include Ratatouille, but you would not listen to me!!

-Jason "as an aside, the buzz on Transformers is really building, I may have been wrong about that one" Evans
    You were most likely right, and I'm kicking myself over that stupid decision. Not that it really makes a difference overall. What I thought was amazing was I guessed that the largest opening weekend would be $137MM and I undershot by a considerable amount. Not only that, but many of my coworkers were in the 140-150 range.

Richard Roeper's review of this film contains a great opening paragraph that I had not even thought of before this:

Oh, my God, this movie sucks. I'll say this much: Kudos to Jim Carrey for pulling off perhaps the most amazing disappearing-act hat trick in motion-picture history. With his non-appearance in Evan Almighty, the follow-up to the smash hit Bruce Almighty (2003), Carrey has now NOT appeared in three of the worst sequels of all time: Dumb and Dumberer, Son of the Mask and Evan Almighty.

Talk about dodging bullets.
    -Jason "perhaps I need to rethink that offer to star in The Junior Truman Show" Evans

I guess he learned his lesson from returning to the abysmal Ace Ventura sequel.

It should be said that at least 2 of those 3 movies were clearly created with the understanding that Carrey wasn't going to be involved. If he was involved in the sequel, it would not have been the same movie. It may still have sucked, but it's a stretch to say that he avoided all three of those since I doubt he was presented scripts for Dumberer or Son.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Additionally, and I know I'll get reamed for saying this, I think Steve Carrell has had his day in the sun. He's just not all that good. From what I saw of the trailer and the sneak peaks, his character a) seems NOTHING like Evan Baxter from the first movie - a pompous, snotty nosed TV anchor and b) seems A LOT like Michael from The Office. I don't think he's nearly as good an actor and comedian as Jim Carrey and I think that shows on the big screen.
    I'll chalk up "Evan Almighty" to the sophomore jinx before I buy into it being a trend. You're absolutely right that he's no Jim Carrey-- but who is? There's plenty of people who are hilarious who can't keep up with Carrey.

That being said, Carrell has been mediocre at times (I thought he was almost unwatchable in "Anchorman") so I agree that it's clear that he needs a better fix on what he's brilliant at and what he should pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    (I thought he was almost unwatchable in "Anchorman")
    BLASPHEMY!

"LOUD NOISES!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    That being said, Carrell has been mediocre at times (I thought he was almost unwatchable in "Anchorman") so I agree that it's clear that he needs a better fix on what he's brilliant at and what he should pass on.
    Someone's clearly a little bitter about not being invited to the pants party.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wait, Jim Carrey is funny? What is this, 1994?

Okay, I'll bite...

I saw the movie friday night, and I went in with really low expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The movie was a nice, heartwarming, aw shucks movie that had a lot of funny moments- not just the ones in the trailer.

The real star of the movie is not Steve Carrell, but Wanda Sykes as Evan's assistant. She is hilarious, and she has all the best jokes.

The plot was stupid and moved too fast. The characters never really get a chance to develop and their development is conflicted, which makes it really one-dimensional. You can almost see Carrell trying really hard to get something out of the script, but the humor isn't really his style. Most of the jokes were trying too hard to be slapsticky, and Carrell is really good at the nuances of humor. This movie is almost tailor made for Jim Carrey, now that I think about it.

Jonah Hill, who I found funny in Accepted and Knocked Up is also in this movie, and they don't give him anything to work with. This movie had so much potential but ends up being dragged down by a terrible script.

All in all, this movie is a good rental. I don't regret seeing this movie, but I'm going to forget about in two weeks too. I'm going to give it a B-.

I

Wow. For it to have cratered the man's career, that must've been one abysmally bad movie trailer.

The second third of "Bruce" was about him learning how to harness those powers, which was also cool, but you'll recall that, while the first 2/3 of "Bruce" was a great comedy with a compelling story, the wheels fell of in the last 1/3 of the movie.
    I do not recall this. What I recall is the first 2/3 of "Bruce" being painfully terrible, and the last 1/3 being unwatched.

The real problem with "Evan Almighty" is that it's too far-fetched. Giant warrior robots that turn into car and planes? Fine. A superintelligent rat becomes the finest chef in Paris? Okay. But the idea that there is a plot of empty land in Northern Virginia large enough to build an ark that hasn't already been turned into McMansions or condos is just going too far. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I do not recall this. What I recall is the first 2/3 of "Bruce" being painfully terrible, and the last 1/3 being unwatched.

The real problem with "Evan Almighty" is that it's too far-fetched. Giant warrior robots that turn into car and planes? Fine. A superintelligent rat becomes the finest chef in Paris? Okay. But the idea that there is a plot of empty land in Northern Virginia large enough to build an ark that hasn't already been turned into McMansions or condos is just going too far. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.
    Wow, that's my favorite post in quite some time.

Bwahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    But the idea that there is a plot of empty land in Northern Virginia large enough to build an ark that hasn't already been turned into McMansions or condos is just going too far. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday, when they showed the trailer for this film, prior to the feature, "Knocked Up." (Which I loved, btw.) They'd have to go all the way out past Winchester!

Well, unless Teddy Roosevelt Island is technically part of Virginia. That'd be a great place to build an ark -- easy water access.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Wow, that's my favorite post in quite some time.
    As one who lives in Northern Virginia, I second that!