Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Announcers: Love 'em. Hate 'em. Or not...

Len Elmore reached a new low yesterday. His comment that Singler complained because he got caught was ludicrous. Singler complained because he literally did not touch the guy which you can see for yourself if you view the sequence frame by frame. (The beauty of DVR). His spiel on "toughness" went on endlessly and was ridiculous. Even Mike Patrick, who is generally willing to put up with any BS from his partner, called him down about his comment on the intentional foul. The only semi-good thing you can say about Elmore is that he seems to hate all the teams except the Terps equally. The only defense to this guy is the mute button.
    Last edited by AtlDuke72; 01-23-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling error

I usually just ignore Len, or if he is in a bad enough mood I put on 620 and mute the TV.

There were a couple of moments I did notice yesterday, though. I don't remember what they were talking about, but I remember Patrick referring to Len's playing career. Len didn't even respond, there was just silence. It seemed like Patrick got under Len's skin.

Anyway, the thing about Len is he just comes across as such a miserable curmudgeon. He doesn't seem to enjoy broadcasting or want to be there. He just isn't enjoyable to listen to. I don't mind his MD heritage, but he doesn't even seem to enjoy MD basketball he just enjoys hating on everybody else in the ACC.

I thought that most of Len Elmore's comments about toughness yesterday were directed at the Wake Forest players. A couple of times Wake players didn't scrap hard enough for the ball and he remarked on that fact. I didn't come away with the sense that he felt the same way about Duke, but perhaps you heard some things I didn't.

I guess I'm one of the people here who just isn't bothered that much by him.

Sgt., didn't Patrick say something about Len getting in to one or two shoving matches during his career?

I agree yesterday was very hard to listen to him. His comments were borderline crazy in regards to the tired legs, the "fighting back" by Wake players, and the Singler comment (I forgot about that one).
    He also kept harping on how this game was a step in the right direction for Wake Forest and that they had hit rock bottom the game before. He then tried to berate one of the Wake players insinuating that he was faking being hurt. To top it off, he tried to use really intelligent words at the most random times that just made him sound like he was trying to look like a hot shot announcer.

Give me Dickie V any day. I know a lot of you don't like him, but the guy is passionate about basketball. Elmore is a Negative Nancy...I'd rather listen to someone who enjoys a good play and goes crazy about it than someone who is constantly nagging about something.

I have never understood the view from this BB that Elmore is biased against Duke. I just don't see it, and I never have. He tells it like it is, and when he has said things about Duke, they are usually right. He is -- in general -- against the tendency to gush about any team, and tends to point out all teams' weakenesses. As a former big man, he also has a soft spot for the inside game, which is usually not Duke's strength. But I never detect a bias against Duke as a school, against its players or against its coach.

I find Elmore interesting, educated and erudite. I like him in combination with Mike Patrick, who IS gushing. The two of them are a nice contrast.

What was driving me crazy is the start of the second half maybe about 4 minutes in they were speaking of Tyler starting and the reasons why he may deserve to start the half. Mike started the conversation and I just began to shake my head then Elmore a minute later started speaking of why Tyler started the half because of his defense.

Sad part of it all was that Tyler did not start the second half. He came in for Dawkins and was the first off the bench but these two really just talk and do not give any real good insight on the game. They surely do not pay attention.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    I have never understood the view from this BB that Elmore is biased against Duke. I just don't see it, and I never have.
    Elmore just isn't paying attention half the time. When Grant Hill was inbounding against Kentucky with 2.1 seconds left, he suggested we get it to midcourt and call timeout. Too bad we didn't have any timeouts left. (That was a pet Dean Smith strategy, but I don't ever remember K doing it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    What was driving me crazy is the start of the second half maybe about 4 minutes in they were speaking of Tyler starting and the reasons why he may deserve to start the half. Mike started the conversation and I just began to shake my head then Elmore a minute later started speaking of why Tyler started the half because of his defense.

Sad part of it all was that Tyler did not start the second half. He came in for Dawkins and was the first off the bench but these two really just talk and do not give any real good insight on the game. They surely do not pay attention.
    Exactly, I noticed that. Dawkins gave up a wiiiiiiiide open 3 to Clark, where Clark had alllllll day to set his feet, adjust his shorts, wipe the sweat off his brow and then drain the 3. He got yanked within a minute of the second half starting.

Really?

I have never understood the view from this BB that Elmore is biased against Duke. I just don't see it, and I never have. He tells it like it is, and when he has said things about Duke, they are usually right. He is -- in general -- against the tendency to gush about any team, and tends to point out all teams' weakenesses. As a former big man, he also has a soft spot for the inside game, which is usually not Duke's strength. But I never detect a bias against Duke as a school, against its players or against its coach.

I find Elmore interesting, educated and erudite. I like him in combination with Mike Patrick, who IS gushing. The two of them are a nice contrast.
    I understand everyone has his preference regarding announcers. They each have their plusses and minuses. But to say you have never seen a bias against Duke, I find rather hard to believe. Even if you find him interesting, educated and erudite (really????), I think if you listen without the bias you have against those who disagree with your opinion, you may hear some bias against Duke. For example, I remember listening to a game he did last year and counting the number of times he pointed out a call that went in Duke's favor and a call that went in the opponent's favor. He had several comments about Duke getting a break, but never once did he point out when the opponent benefitted from a bad call. We all know that Duke doesn't get every call. So while he may have been correct in the particular calls he pointed out, by not pointing them out against the opponent, he is showing a bias against Duke.

I thought the issue about Wake's toughness was odd, especially when Elmore was most focused on a Wake player who still seemed groggy several minutes after the play in which he got smacked to the floor.

It's reminiscent of some past football discussions about Duke incurring penalties or turnovers when matched against nationally-ranked opponents.

In regards to Wake bball 2011 and Duke football circa 2008, there are plenty of times when the tape might indicate a lack of toughness or smarts or whatever, but the basic issue is that the teams are/were outmanned against top flight competition.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Elmore just isn't paying attention half the time. When Grant Hill was inbounding against Kentucky with 2.1 seconds left, he suggested we get it to midcourt and call timeout. Too bad we didn't have any timeouts left. (That was a pet Dean Smith strategy, but I don't ever remember K doing it.)
    Senior day 1981...same amount of time left...Dennard receives half court pass and calls timeout. Next play, Banks ties the game at the buzzer to send to overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Senior day 1981...same amount of time left...Dennard receives half court pass and calls timeout. Next play, Banks ties the game at the buzzer to send to overtime.
    Before my time. Fair enough, though. Elmore still sucks.

What is that woman wearing at 45 seconds in, btw, a wedding dress? I don't think she's a cheerleader.

Elmore still sucks.

Couldn't agree more!

I find as much validity in this thread as I do in the ones that bash Bilas and Williams. It appears that some folks around here have a hard time stomaching anything that goes against what they believe to be true, especially if they feel someone is taking a shot at Duke.

We all don't see things the same way, but why is it so difficult to roll with a differing opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I find as much validity in this thread as I do in the ones that bash Bilas and Williams. It appears that some folks around here have a hard time stomaching anything that goes against what they believe to be true, especially if they feel someone is taking a shot at Duke.

We all don't see things the same way, but why is it so difficult to roll with a differing opinion?
    I don't think Elmore is anti-Duke. I think he's a horrible announcer. His thought process is a little wacky, and I feel this way when I listen to him announce any game.

If you enjoy him and agree with his opinions, great. But, don't you think his comments yesterday were a little off-base? In my previous post, I listed several things he said against BOTH teams that made no sense whatsoever. To me it has nothing to do with Duke basketball.
    He is not anti-Duke; he's anti-happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    He is not anti-Duke; he's anti-happy!
    The morning after last year's national championship game, I was wandering around downtown Indianapolis when I saw Elmore coming the other way. I didn't say anything to him, but the 12 seconds or so when he was in my field of view was the only depressing part of that day. It was like we just capped off an 0-28 season by losing by 30 to unc. Then he went away and we went back to being national champions.

Totally agree. I have no problem with Elmore. I kind of like him as an announcer, in fact.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    K's first year. Used it to tie, then later beat, Dean and the UNC Calvacade of Stars. There was only 2 seconds on the clock when the pass to midcourt was made.

Gene Banks last game (at Cameron). Still get goosebumps.

EDIT-- oops, someone beat me to it.

I find Elmore difficult to listen to. During the Kentucky game, he obviously wasn't paying attention, because if he had been he would know that Duke had no more timeouts. And he repeated the mistake after "The Shot" when he says something about "so much for the quick pass to halfcourt". I met him once, tried to tell him how my Dad (who lettered in basketball at Maryland--as a manager) appreciated his play, and he just blew me off. In contrast, when I made the same comment to Lefty, he was appreciative and entered into a lengthy conversation. (Probably helped that we were in a buffet line.)

As for the woman at 0:45, no, she is not wearing a wedding dress. Some women (students, actually) dressed that way in 1981.

And please don't flame me because Dad lettered in basketball in Maryland--I've tried hard to make up for it. (He also played lacrosse there.)

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I don't hate Elmore as much as some, but I do think he has adequately demonstrated over the years that he's not fond of the Devils. He's long had a tendency to question a lot of calls that went Duke's way, while ignoring the reverse.

I'm so used to it that I thought he was criticizing the Wake players just because they were losing to Duke. It certainly explains why he'd be complaining about some of those things better than what actually happened on the court.

I'll grant he's mellowed over the years on that, though.

Maybe he feels a need to be the resident curmudgeon now that Mr. Cash, aka Billy Packer, is no longer handling that role.