ACC Proposes "No Wiggle Room" NBA draft rules

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...awal-date-move

Katz reports on ESPN that the ACC has proposed "no wiggle room" NBA draft rules to the NCAA's recent San Antonio Convention, similar to the NCAA's regulations for the NFL. If approved, this revised policy could be effective next year. I like the idea (although I have not read any details) because it could simplify the annual spring "guessing game rite" that now complicates life for college programs, coaches, recruits and current players, as well as for the NBA teams.

ACC Proposes moving the NBA draft early entry withdrawal date into April

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...awal-date-move

I disagree with this proposal. Moving the withdrawal date to the second Wednesday in April gives players who participate in the NCAA Tourmanent precious little time after the season to evaluate their draft status. My biggest concern is that players will feel pressured to focus more of their attention to sizing up their draft prospects during the season, given how little time they have after the season is complete to make a critically important decision. I think you'll have even more players making mistakes with regards to their true draft prospects. I also think coaches will need to focus more of their energy on guiding kids through making this decision during the season, rather than allowing counselling and discussion about draft entry to occur after season's end.

Unfortunately, with the players having so many voices in their ears trying to influence their decision on draft entry (and so many of those voices having their own interests in mind, rather than the kids' interests), the system, in it's current form, is far from perfect. My concern is that pushing the withdrawal date so close to the end of the college post-season will only make the situation worse for the players.

Perhaps the ACC/NCAA should wait and see what happens in the CBA negotiations sometime this summer. What comes out of them may make the ACC idea moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    What comes out of them may make the ACC idea moot.
    True enough.