Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    In order to go to Tivo I have to have the Comcast M-card installed by a Comcast installer.

Maybe I'll watch and erase quickly!
    While they have to perform the "installation," it is literally putting a card in a slot. I actually did it myself with the Comcast tech there. They then have to call to activate it though; otherwise it won't work. The installation cost like $15, which is annoying, but the M-card monthly rate is FREE (at least in my area, varies by region). So, instead of paying $15/month for Comcast's terrible HD-DVR that can barely hold anything and has terrible fast forward/interface functionality, I pay $8/month for Tivo's HD XL that holds 150 hours (with multi-service discount; Tivo normally $12.95/month I believe)...Again, there's an upfront cost of the box though (which set me back like $220 via ebay; Tivo Premiere box hasn't gotten such great reviews so I didn't feel the need to pay more for it.) In any event, just another possibility to through out there. Tivo also records shows it thinks you'll like based on your recordings (called Tivo suggestions). Right now, my box has probably 60 HD recordings and 120 suggestions (it automatically deletes lower priority items to make room for higher ones if you need the space). It's sweet! I swear, I don't work for Tivo. I was just fed up with Comcast...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Yes, I was under the impression that you could not expand the Comcast DVR storage. Unfortunately I cannot go to DirectTV (Condo issues). Maybe Tivo is the answer. I will have to look into that. Until then I will have to delete to add.
    Man, getting a straight answer on this is surprisingly difficult. I did some google-fu, and here's what I have found.

Comcast uses DVRs from Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, and others, which absolutely have functionality to use esata storage. You can actually download the user manuals from Comcast's site and see the eSATA port pictured, with the caption "for external hard drive storage."

The functionality is there. Now, Comcast can be anal retentive, so they may have deliberately disabled this feature. There's no mention of it on their website that I can find. Furthermore, I found this on a Comcast Q and A blog.

http://xrl.us/bifyqv (Link to blog.comcast.com)

Basically, the Comcast guy (2nd post) is saying that the functionality exists on at least one class of DVRs, but is unsupported-- yet it should work. In fact, Comcast actually checked to make sure that it did.

That doesn't sound like a blanket refusal to allow the functionality, it sounds like they don't want to do tech support on ten million yahoos hooking up random equipment to their machines.

I still think it's worth checking into, either by going on line to someplace like avsforums, or calling Comcast and simply asking. But it may be a bit more complex than plug-n-play.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Actually, my friend had a "regular" hard disk initially attached to his DVR. It died after a couple of months. He may have had a second one die, but I do not remember.
    I doubt that all hard drives are designed for 24/7 usage. Most are designed to shut down when not in use, to save energy and not wear on the drive.
    I think some of this is semantics. All drives are designed for 24/7 usage, much like cars are all designed to drive long trips (well, maybe not all electric cars). Despite this design criteria, some hard drives are better engineered than others-- which is what I think you're ultimately saying. But I find nothing on the specs that indicate which Western Digital drive is in the My DVR device other than capacity. I really don't think it's anything other than a commodity WD drive-- but that's still a pretty solid drive. I just don't see the need to pay more money for it just because I'm using it with a DVR.

I could easily be wrong here, but I suspect WD would be explicitly hyping the drive with specifics if it were high-end.

One other thing that gives me pause: hard drives are not designed to spin down on their own. They spin down when asked to by the host system, whether it be a Mac, Windows PC, or a Comcast DVR. Anyone telling you that not powering down the drive is an advantage of this system is mistaken. It really shouldn't be powering down at all unless the DVR wants it to-- and if the DVR wants it to, it REALLY SHOULD be powering down.

Now, significant advantages of this system might include: 1) a quiet fan, and 2) non-obnoxious power indicator LEDs. I kind of have a thing about hacking when a simple just-solve-the-problem-ya-silly-goof purchase will do, so I can certainly see why people might want to use this system. And frankly, the added capacity is worth it at either price.

I have both USB and eSATA ports on the Motorola DVR I lease from Comcast. Any data compatability questions or software issues?
    I mostly replied to this in another post, but every model of DVR that Comcast carries that I checked HAD THE ABILITY to connect via e-SATA to e-SATA drives. It's unclear to me whether Comcast disables this ability or not. I found a handful of yahoos who claimed to have it working, but I would highly recommend checking out the specifics via make and model number.

It can't hurt to call Comcast (at least, not more than it normally does!) and just ASK them if the port is usable. As I indicated above, at least in some situations they have left that port on, but do not provide technical support for it.

Regarding compatibility issues, any e-SATA drive should work, if it's truly e-SATA spec. However, as we all know, not all items are as spec-compliant as they think they are, which is why it's probably good to search on the make and model of your DVR and see if people are having problems before plunging in. And keep in mind, there's always some element of risk. This might be yet another reason to go with the My DVR system listed above, it might come with a "works with your DVR or your money back" guarantee, which really could warrant the higher price.

If you are considering giving this a shot and have the make and model of your DVR, I'll be glad to check out online to see what kind of luck Comcast users are having with your DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I'm in the same boat in that my DVR is pretty much constantly at 99% used. I've learned to watch stuff quickly and supplement it with On Demand when necessary. It's pretty irritating.
    I spoke to Comcast and one cannot add memory. In order to get more memory in a DVR I must have their replay in another room service - and that requires a 2nd DVR. In order to go to Tivo I have to have the Comcast M-card installed by a Comcast installer.

Maybe I'll watch and erase quickly!
    The problem is more widespread than I thought. Looks like I'll have to get TWC's version of expanded DVR memory, Signature Home, which includes top speed internet connectivity, a home wireless network, and digital telephone. We already have the digital telephone. The DVR memory boils down to 75 hours of HD on each DVR (would be two in our case) for a total of 150 hours. Although Mrs. Jarhead records up to the 90% level frequently (I haven't reached 55% yet) our present capacity on either is only about 20 hours per DVR.

Later next month we'll reach some of our heaviest recorded viewing, so we may have to resort to the HD on demand route, but I have reasons for not liking the on demand solution. It looks like we must either reduce the hours we record, or we bite the bullet and sign on for the expanded TWC service. One of our sons in Atlanta has gone with AT&T's expanded whole house service, and loves it, but he hasn't gone with digital phone.

As for the satellite service option, it doesn't work around here. We are in the middle of a long leaf pine forest which severely interferes with the satellite signal. My yard has about 55 such trees surrounding the house, and my neighbors add bunches to that number. There's not a satellite dish to be seen in the neighborhood. We also have mobile phone problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    The problem is more widespread than I thought. Looks like I'll have to get TWC's version of expanded DVR memory, Signature Home, which includes top speed internet connectivity, a home wireless network, and digital telephone. We already have the digital telephone. The DVR memory boils down to 75 hours of HD on each DVR (would be two in our case) for a total of 150 hours. Although Mrs. Jarhead records up to the 90% level frequently (I haven't reached 55% yet) our present capacity on either is only about 20 hours per DVR.

Later next month we'll reach some of our heaviest recorded viewing, so we may have to resort to the HD on demand route, but I have reasons for not liking the on demand solution. It looks like we must either reduce the hours we record, or we bite the bullet and sign on for the expanded TWC service. One of our sons in Atlanta has gone with AT&T's expanded whole house service, and loves it, but he hasn't gone with digital phone.

As for the satellite service option, it doesn't work around here. We are in the middle of a long leaf pine forest which severely interferes with the satellite signal. My yard has about 55 such trees surrounding the house, and my neighbors add bunches to that number. There's not a satellite dish to be seen in the neighborhood. We also have mobile phone problems.
    Sounds like a late night chainsaw solution!

Sounds like a late night chainsaw solution!
    Yeah, I was going to mention that, but some of the trees closest to the house are about a ½ yard wide and and 25 yards tall. The concussion when the trees fall would shake the house down. Estimates for professional removal range between $660 and $1,200 per tree.

Yeah, I was going to mention that, but some of the trees closest to the house are about a ½ yard wide and and 25 yards tall. The concussion when the trees fall would shake the house down. Estimates for professional removal range between $660 and $1,200 per tree.
    Gee, about $70 grand - sounds reasonable to me for good storage of Duke BB games!

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Actually, my friend had a "regular" hard disk initially attached to his DVR. It died after a couple of months. He may have had a second one die, but I do not remember.
    I doubt that all hard drives are designed for 24/7 usage. Most are designed to shut down when not in use, to save energy and not wear on the drive.
    Starting and stopping a drive will generate a different sort of wear - it's not a cure all. If you have a laptop on battery, you definitely want to stop it to save power.

As far as I know, all modern drives are designed for 24/7 use when mounted horizontally (and most when mounted vertically). Angled mounts are more troublesome - the bearings aren't designed for it.

It's an entirely different issue when those drives are put into a cheap housing, with a cheap power supply, and inadequate ventilation. Especially after the dust bunnies move in or the drive is put in a closed - and warm - media cabinet. Many drives die for reasons having nothing to do with the drive itself.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Starting and stopping a drive will generate a different sort of wear - it's not a cure all. If you have a laptop on battery, you definitely want to stop it to save power.

As far as I know, all modern drives are designed for 24/7 use when mounted horizontally (and most when mounted vertically). Angled mounts are more troublesome - the bearings aren't designed for it.

It's an entirely different issue when those drives are put into a cheap housing, with a cheap power supply, and inadequate ventilation. Especially after the dust bunnies move in or the drive is put in a closed - and warm - media cabinet. Many drives die for reasons having nothing to do with the drive itself.

-jk
    I am the person being referenced in the earlier posting. A few years ago I added a 1TB e-sata drive to one of my directv dvrs. It actually ran for a couple years (not months) before its loud, undignified death, taking many of my favorite recordings with it. I have no doubt that the official "dvr expander" series is more a combination of better ventilation, parts, etc., but I would still go with it if I did the same thing in the future.

Although directv still does not officially support the external drive they do list recommended drives to use (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P5980155). I have not been able to find a similar list from any cable provider (even the ones who actually do support esata drives). I mainly use my Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR now to capture recordings from my dvrs and spread them around various raid drives around the house for later viewing.

The DVR memory boils down to 75 hours of HD on each DVR (would be two in our case) for a total of 150 hours. Although Mrs. Jarhead records up to the 90% level frequently (I haven't reached 55% yet) our present capacity on either is only about 20 hours per DVR.
    As I've said before, the HD capacity on the Cisco HD DVR that you can get from TWC at no additional cost is 50 hours of HD recording. I went to the Clayton store and told them I wanted to swap out my box. When they got one in about a month later they called me and I brought my SA box in and they gave me the Cisco box. I also swapped remotes as the newer ones have a couple more buttons than the older ones do (nothing of any consequence, just convenience - news 14, "on demand", etc.).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New from TWC in March

I spoke with Time Warner Cable today about something and the rep just happened to be not only a Duke fan, but a DBR lurker! We actually discussed this thread a bit and he told me that next week TWC will be offering two new levels of internet service called Roadrunner Extreme. They will be offering 30 Meg download, 5 Meg up @ $60/month and 50 Meg down, 5 M up @ $99/month. I believe he said the service will also include free wireless in the home (a free wireless modem, capable of servicing up to 50 wireless devices). Not sure if that is for both speeds, or just the more expensive program. These speeds will be available without bundling the "Signature" services as discussed above by Jarhead. If you are streaming downloads/video to your TV or Blue Ray player (Netflix, etc.) this is something you might want to consider.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I spoke with Time Warner Cable today about something and the rep just happened to be not only a Duke fan, but a DBR lurker! We actually discussed this thread a bit and he told me that next week TWC will be offering two new levels of internet service called Roadrunner Extreme. They will be offering 30 Meg download, 5 Meg up @ $60/month and 50 Meg down, 5 M up @ $99/month. I believe he said the service will also include free wireless in the home (a free wireless modem, capable of servicing up to 50 wireless devices). Not sure if that is for both speeds, or just the more expensive program. These speeds will be available without bundling the "Signature" services as discussed above by Jarhead. If you are streaming downloads/video to your TV or Blue Ray player (Netflix, etc.) this is something you might want to consider.
    Here's an update on my TWC service, Ozzie. I went ahead and signed up for their Signature Home service about a month ago. It included an improvement in download speed to 19.92 Mbps up, but hardly any increase in upload. It is now about 1.90 Mbps. (You can check yours here. I don't recall what it was the last time I checked about three months ago.) That speed is more than I could ever use, but here is a link to a blog touting a free Road Runner Extreme upgrade. A free upgrade would be worth considering.

With regard to the rest of the Signature Home package, installation was a breeze being completed within 24 hours of my phone cal to sign up. It took two cable guys about two hours to complete. They installed the wireless network using a Ubee router, but I've stayed with my Linksys router. I don't think the cable guys were convinced of the Ubee quality, and they said they had to install it. I did a Google search on the Ubee and I found tons of complaints about it.

The cable part of the package is great. There are two DVRs that talk with one another, so that we can record in one room, and watch in the other, or vice versa. The capacity totals up to 150 hours of HDTV. The human interface via the remote seems to be smoother, but the idea of controlling your recording schedule via the internet is viable only if you are on AOL. I thought TWC spun of that clunker. The overall cost versus our old service was pretty much a wash when considering that the old service contract was about to expire, and a substantial boost in cost was imminent.

So, the whole package, including cable, digital phone, and internet is quite satisfactory. However, I remain interested in Dropbox and Skydrive for their potential, but I'm in no hurry.

17.91 Mbps download, 0.48 Mbps upload. I have the Roadrunner Turbo, so the download is way above the advertised 10 Meg, and the upload is close to the promised 512 Kbps.

Have you used their PC speed test? Is there anything to not trust about it? I'm leery about letting it look into my PC - should I be?

9F 9F 9F

TWC Support has done something really nice for us!

How many times have you had to call tech support back for the same problem, only to go back through the same automated system before getting to a "real person"? And I'm not just talking about with TWC, but with every organization you call for support? Well, I lost my internet this afternoon for a few minutes and when it didn't come back on for 5 minutes, I thought it best that I call and report it. I got the TWC automated system and it asked me a series of questions and asked me to reboot the modem and if that didn't fix the problem, call back. OK, so I did that and it didn't fix the problem, and lo and behold, when I called back, the automated system recognized that I was calling back and asked me if I was calling back for the same problem? When I said yes, it put me right through to a tech support person, WITHOUT having to go through any more automated menu items! I was so pleased and impressed that I gushed my praise to the tech about this improved automated feature and told her that I'd post it here. I made her day - how often do they hear praise instead of complaints? And, oh yeah, while that was going on, my internet connection was restored, so whatever went out, came back, I'm sure having nothing to do with my rebooting the modem.

Just thought you'd like to know.

9F 9F 9F

got the 30 down / 5 up for the studio and it rocks...installation was fairly easy, although i had and "contractor" who really did not understand wirleess modems..

The ubee turned out to be weaker than my netgear, so i had to disable the wireless part of the theirs.

speed is actually 32/4.8 and i am very happy with the service....

oh yea, one piece of advice...DEFINITELY switch to Open Dns...twc's really slow up your internet ...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    got the 30 down / 5 up for the studio and it rocks...installation was fairly easy, although i had and "contractor" who really did not understand wirleess modems..

The ubee turned out to be weaker than my netgear, so i had to disable the wireless part of the theirs.

speed is actually 32/4.8 and i am very happy with the service....

oh yea, one piece of advice...DEFINITELY switch to Open Dns...twc's really slow up your internet ...
    I did the same thing with the ubee, and I wonder what it's connects. I've thought of just disconnecting it altogether, but I worry that it may be booby trapped.

when you turn off the wireless function, it's just a cable modem..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Cool TWC service screwed me, and then fixed it last night

I got home last night about 7:15 p.m., turned on a digital TV connected directly to the cable and it said "No Signal". I looked at my cable modem and only the power light was on - no service. So I called TWC customer support and got connected to a customer service rep. She checked and told me there was no outage reported in my area, we confirmed the modem was still showing nothing and I had no TV service either through my cable box or from direct cable connections, and that the cable line was, indeed, still connected to my house (but who can tell about the rat's nest at the top of the pole 20' in the air). The earliest a tech could be sent out would be tomorrow morning (today) at 7 a.m., which as we were setting up, she said "Oh, a service tech disconnected your service at the pole at 6:08 pm. His notes just showed up on my system. Said there was no one home. There was a "noise leak" coming from your home". Huh? Nothing has changed at my house, nothing has been connected or disconnected in quite a while. I asked to speak with a supervisor. It took about 10 minutes to wait through that queue to speak with one, part of the time with the original rep on the line (I finally asked her to stop apologizing for the wait time, telling her it's not her fault and it was getting annoying). I spoke with the supervisor, and he said he wanted to talk with the service department to find out what was going on. It was now about 8:50, and he'd call me back "shortly".

Just when I was getting upset that he hadn't called yet, about 9:30, a TWC truck pulled up in the drive way. Nice young guy, the same tech that had that had been here at 6 p.m. We discussed what he had found - a large noise signature was causing a signal drop to their system so he disconnected the house at the pole to prevent system problems - I'm at the end of the line. He told me a couple of folks up the street have the 30/5 service and this kind of drop could be a big problem for them (I have turbo - now 15 mbps download/1 mbps upload). He apologized for not leaving me a note when he found no one home. He then started hooking up his test gear on the connection at the house and showed me the "noise" on his scope - it was in the cable coming to the house, about 15 ft. up line. Turns out there was a connector there that had gone bad . (The splice/connector shouldn't have been there in the first place when they last ran the line from the pole years ago, but that's besides the point. And he said it was a poorly made splice.) He was surprised I had High Speed Data (internet) service at all, but it explains why it's been dropping out for the last couple of weeks for a few seconds here and there and then resetting. He replaced the connector and turned the service back on. (I didn't ask him why he didn't connect his scope and find this external to my house problem earlier and fix it then, instead of assuming the problem was inside my house and disconnecting me.)

His new splice is a temporary fix. He put in an order for a new drop line (cable replacement) to be run from the pole to my connection box. It'll take about a week to get done, but service looks perfect now and I don't have to be here when they do it - I'd rather not be since obviously service will be out when they do it.

So in the space of a couple of hours I went from being really being upset with TWC to being, once again, very pleased with their customer service support in several ways. The tech, while he was screwing me, was looking out for the integrity of their system and the greater good of other customers (the needs of the many out-way the needs of the one, as Mr. Spock once said...), and then the supervisor getting the service tech, who was already off duty and at home, to come back out and fix his screw up for the needs of the (nicely and politely complaining) one! Any fleeting thoughts I had (at about 7:45 while talking to the first service rep after finding out I'd been disconnected) about switching to satellite TV are gone.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So in the space of a couple of hours I went from being really being upset with TWC to being, once again, very pleased with their customer service support in several ways. [/SIZE]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    The title of your post made me think the story would be much worse. Stinks that you had to sit on hold for a long time, but at least you didn't get transferred around. I agree that this a story of mostly positive customer service. Although this would not be the case had a Duke game been on TV. It would be a disaster.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR