Special Request for Chief

Hi Folks:

I mentioned my foster dog, Chief, in another thread. He is missing half his back right leg and the paw off his back left leg. Lucky Dog Animal Rescue here in DC for whom I foster is raising funds to cover prostheses for his legs which will cost $1100. He was casted for them last night - the gentleman who took the casts said Chief is a perfect candidate and should do very well with this help. We have raised $470 so far. I've pledged to match any donations we receive on his behalf which can be made directly through the Lucky Dog web site. He is a wonderful boy, happy regardless, and (IMO) deserves everything he needs to live more comfortably. I've grown to love him in the few weeks I've had him and would keep him myself if I weren't already at the legal limit of 3 of my own!

Any generosity will be much appreciated.

BlueDevilBaby

DSC_0514.jpg

http://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org

Thanks!

Chief will get his new legs!

Just came across this thread- that's awesome news man! My dog Buck, a German Shorthair, was found to have OsteoSarcoma about 2 years ago. It was high in his shoulder and the only action to take to prevent the spread of the disease was to amputate his front left leg. It is astounding how quickly he adapted to the change of being a 'Tripod' - about a month later he was going for mile runs with me and still harassing the neighbor's cat and squirrels in my yard. Dogs are extrememly reslilient and they don't feel sorry for themselves...he just kind of picked himself up, learned how to make it work and didn't miss a beat.

Great news on Chief. Please let us know how he does. Dogs are truly inspiring - They don't get down, feel sorry for themselves or give up, they just keep on going, taking what lot has been given to them...we could all learn something. Sorry to get sentimental, I hope all goes well for you two and look forward to some pics of his new legs!

Glad your Buck has managed to do so well. There are a few tripods at the dog park - they amaze me. Chief is improving all the time and going on longer walks every day. He's building up strength in his better leg and will have to do the same in the other one that has severely atrophied. I'm hoping he gets his new legs next weekend and will be sure to give an update and post some pictures. It's going to be great!

Hurray!

Chief got his prosthetics last night! After only a few minutes he was following me around the room and he was practically running this morning while using only the left one. He has a hard time with both on since the muscles in the right thigh are so atrophied - his back "feet" cross and he gets stuck. One more week to work on it and adjust the prosthetics again, and then he will go to his forever home.

To anyone who contributed to his cause, I cannot thank you enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-urfFqZN4Y