Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ste...ry?id=14383813

Wow... talk about being dedicated to your work. Only resigns a few months before his death. Really did not see this one coming. Anyone have Apple stock?

Surprising he passed so soon. We knew he was very sick since he resigned as CEO last month, but he stayed on as Chairman and as a board member. I half expected to see him do the iPhone presentation yesterday, but of course he didn't. RIP Steve Jobs. A job well done indeed.

I wish I owned more than a few shares of AAPL. The stock dropped a few points last month when he resigned as CEO, then rebounded to over 400. It has dropped to ~375 this week on the iPhone 4S release and other non news. His death won't be a positive, but it won't have much of a short term impact either. Longer term, we don't know.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I analyzed data, did graphics, wrote my Phd thesis on the very first Mac plus. When I went to Duke in 86, no one, I mean no one, in my department was working on a Mac (I had to go to Engineering to find a Mac on our side of campus) and I talked the department into converting. So sad that Steve Jobs, a true visionary has passed. I know he goes knowing he has changed the world.
    ~rthomas

dchen09, I think a lot of people saw it coming ... though not today, necessarily. He has had serious health issues for several years.

a few thoughts -

- talk about leaving your mark on the world. It's hard to overestimate how influential he was in the grand history of American business.

- Several years ago I did a significant favor for a family member, who gave me as a thank you one of the early iPods, a 20 gig click wheel. Up to that point I didn't understand what the fuss was about. That gift opened my eyes.

- I recall using an Apple II in junior high; and a Macintosh as a Duke freshman. I didn't do a whole lot with either, but I could see how inviting they were.

- design-wise, I really think he was a genius (that said, I agree with Geo. Clooney - I don't know how you judge art). Side by side, the quantitative specs never wowed you versus the competition. But Apple products were (and are) incredibly intuitive and unintimidating, sleek and stylish.

- I have long thought about whether to sell Apple stock given his medical condition, but upon reflection I don't know that there are any truly reliable indicators of when the departure of a legend is going to have a devastating effect and when the company (or team) can blaze new trails and go on to new successes. Tim Cook has had no small hand in Apple's recent success and profitability. That said, can a visionary designer ever be replaced? This will be a real test of the corporate culture he forged.

- Does anyone remember 1996's Triumph of the Nerds on PBS? Here's a look back on one of the most memorable lines of it - and it's good to see Steve in his prime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBISzVRmYIM

(picture quality is iffy but it's a remarkable quote)

a visionary of incredible magnitude....i bought a Mac SE-30 in 89....i was an apple fan forever...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

A Star blinked and went forever dark.

Jobs lived longer with pancreatic cancer then most with that disease but it did seem like he would live forever. So, I was surprised when I heard the news, even though I shouldn't have been.

We're a mixed family, with a blend of PCs and Apples. I listen to music a lot and I think that is where Jobs and Apple most directly impacted my life. iTunes, the Ipod, the iPhone, the ability to move music from one device to another, to easily take it with you, transformed the way we access, store and listen to music.

Definitely a visionary. RIP.

Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jobs lived longer with pancreatic cancer then most with that disease but it did seem like he would live forever. So, I was surprised when I heard the news, even though I shouldn't have been.

We're a mixed family, with a blend of PCs and Apples. I listen to music a lot and I think that is where Jobs and Apple most directly impacted my life. iTunes, the Ipod, the iPhone, the ability to move music from one device to another, to easily take it with you, transformed the way we access, store and listen to music.

Definitely a visionary. RIP.
    From Time Magazine: 'With depressing finality, Novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald declared: "There are no second acts in American lives." '

What is true of American lives is certainly true of American business leaders. Who has succeeded a second time? But, in fact, Steve Jobs had three lives: the original Apple, Pixar and the return to Apple after two other leaders had failed. And that leaves out NeXT.

Steve Jobs not only had a clear vision of what he wanted to build but the force of personality to cause it to happen. And he learned and matured. In his second tour of Apple, he was just as visionary but much more laid back about being involved in the details, which gave his creativity full rein to develop even more products and features.

His personal biography is amazing. The son of two unmarried Berkeley students -- an American mother and a Syrian father (who later married), he was given up for adoption by to a working class couple in the Bay Area. (Anyone here want to debate nature vs. nurture?) By high school he had talked himself into a summer job at Hewlett-Packard. He went to Reed for one semester and then dropped out because of the financial burden on his parents. Well,... maybe or maybe it was a waste of his time. He ran into Steve Wozniak, who was older and had attended the same high school, at a conference on computers. They struck up a partnership, had a couple of failures, and then came Apple II... et voila, the personal computer revolution. The McIntosh idea he took from Xerox, which had developed it at its Palo Alto research center and had no plans to use it.

By the time he was forced out of Apple by John Sculley, he was wealthy and able to finance his next ventures -- NeXT and Pixar. I don't know what he paid George Lucas for Pixar, but he sold it to Disney for $7 billion in about 2006.

We will not see the likes of Steve Jobs again.

sagegrouse

Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't know what he paid George Lucas for Pixar, but he sold it to Disney for $7 billion in about 2006.

We will not see the likes of Steve Jobs again.

sagegrouse
    $10 million. Nice little profit.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    a visionary of incredible magnitude....i bought a Mac SE-30 in 89....i was an apple fan forever...
    An A&E newspaper I co-founded was saved from financial ruin when we purchased a Mac SE in late 1986. We were using a local graphic design company for pasteup and layout and the subcontracting costs were killing us. Lengthy delays in turn-around frequently delayed delivery, not the best way to establish a loyal readership. Our tech-savy managing editor first-introduced me to the concept of "desktop publishing" which I didn't fully grasp until our Mac arrived in the office. (Cut me some slack, 9 months of 80-hour work weeks will muddle anyone's thinking.) Whatever it was that was going to replace light and layout boards, a CompuGraphic CRT phototypsetter and stat camera would require a semi to transport I thought. Yet our ME took off in his Datsun and returned an hour or so later with a computer consultant and a few boxes for the tidy little sum of 10 grand (5K for the Laser Printer Plus, 3K for the Mac SE and 2K for Pagemaker 2.0a, Word 3.1 and SuperPaint 2.0). In the span of 72 hours we underwent an operational transformation that was inconceivable only a few weeks prior yet literally shocking to experience. Our exhausted staff was spiritually reborn, suddenly we had become avant-garde and I feared the Dadaist revival that must surely be coming. Thank you Mr. Jobs. Labors of love are gratifying but enjoying the fruit of one's labor tastes sweeter (and spends easier.)

By the way the Mac and laser writer sits in my garage, still fully functional. $5K OBO.

Steve Jobs was a genius of Our time. He will be remembered for his Hi Tech toys and gadgets and wearing his signature Black turtle neck and blue jeans.

I remember seeing the movie, 1998 or 99, "Pirates of the Silcon Valley", the story of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and others. And since Steve Jobs, was adopted and knows the feeling of being given up at birth and years later to know who is biological family are, why would he turn his back on his pregnant girlfriend (since high school), in his twenties and deny her and his First born? He said he was sterile (NOT), and did not offer any support to his girlfriend or Baby Daughter, Lisa. The Baby Mama had to get assistance through The Welfare system, for a time, and this was when Jobs had made MILLIONS. For a man to turn their back on their long time pregnant girfriend, but More importantly to Deny and walk away from their responsibility Will NEVER be acceptable behavior for anyone. Obviously, Jobs was not Sterile... he had 3 more children.

The first computer Jobs made was called the L.I.S.A.

Through the media, his book will be released this month, an autobiography so that his children will know who he is.

Talking Mo Dowd Weighs In

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Steve Jobs was a genius of Our time. He will be remembered for his Hi Tech toys and gadgets and wearing his signature Black turtle neck and blue jeans.

I remember seeing the movie, 1998 or 99, "Pirates of the Silcon Valley", the story of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and others. And since Steve Jobs, was adopted and knows the feeling of being given up at birth and years later to know who is biological family are, why would he turn his back on his pregnant girlfriend (since high school), in his twenties and deny her and his First born? He said he was sterile (NOT), and did not offer any support to his girlfriend or Baby Daughter, Lisa. The Baby Mama had to get assistance through The Welfare system, for a time, and this was when Jobs had made MILLIONS. For a man to turn their back on their long time pregnant girfriend, but More importantly to Deny and walk away from their responsibility Will NEVER be acceptable behavior for anyone. Obviously, Jobs was not Sterile... he had 3 more children.

Through the media, his book will be released this month, an autobiography so that his children will know who he is.
    Maureen Dowd's column in today's NY Times digs into his life, his father, his full-blooded sister, his daughter and other relationships. Yikes! I guess this is the price (or cost) of genius.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post

I'm not defending his actions, but he did ultimately accept her into his life:
    http://www.minyanville.com/special-f.../2010/id/29768

Steve Jobs did eventually claim paternity for his out-of-wedlock daughter and opened his home to her during her teenage years...
    I don't get the adulation. He made stuff. We bought it, and made him rich. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I don't get the adulation. He made stuff. We bought it, and made him rich. So what?
    I take it you are a PC.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Ummm ... maybe because lots of people make stuff and try to get others to buy it; few if any others in his generation succeeded to the degree he did. People who succeed to such a degree in any endeavor (business, sports, music, literature) tend to get such adulation.

Of course, I could be completely off here.

Maureen Dowd's column in today's NY Times digs into his life, his father, his full-blooded sister, his daughter and other relationships. Yikes! I guess this is the price (or cost) of genius.

sagegrouse
    As am adoptee myself, I personally understand what it feels like to be denied by the bio father, and thus my bio mother put me up for adopion. The movie touched on the personal lives of Gates and Jobs; I am sure the soon to be released book of JOBS, will reveal much more in depth.

Here's something I didn't know

about the course of his treatment

http://www.quora.com/Steve-Jobs/Why-...eat-his-cancer

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    A slightly different take can be found here.

(Cliff notes: while the length of time before surgery certainly didn't help, it isn't entirely clear yet that it hurt either, and it probably won't become clear unless there is more information in the biography coming out in a couple of days).

Unhappy Cancer Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    A slightly different take can be found here.

(Cliff notes: while the length of time before surgery certainly didn't help, it isn't entirely clear yet that it hurt either, and it probably won't become clear unless there is more information in the biography coming out in a couple of days).
    The book review in the NY Times today quoted Andrew Grove of Intel telling Jobs that he was "crazy" for not seeking treatment. So did the CEO of biotech giant Genentech, who was on the Apple board. Genentech specializes in drugs to treat cancer.

sagegrouse

The book review in the NY Times today quoted Andrew Grove of Intel telling Jobs that he was "crazy" for not seeking treatment. So did the CEO of biotech giant Genentech, who was on the Apple board. Genentech specializes in drugs to treat cancer.

sagegrouse
    I have heard that on TV several times. Some people are so smart in their field, but have NO common sense when it comes to everyday decisions. Obviously, Jobs should have been treated for the cancer earlier and had the surgery long before he did.

The book comes out on Monday, Oct 24. Jobs stated he wrote the book, so his children will know him. Its sad to say that. When Jobs turned his back on his pregnant girlfriend (High school sweetheart) and denied his first born daughter, Lisa; that will always stand out to me. Baby Mama on welfare and medicaid and Jobs was basking in his Millions. You cant take your money with you.

"Crazy" for not seeking treatment, is actually saying it kind. Why wouldn't a multi billionaire high tech CEO, want to live for years to come and see all the fruits of their labor. And also, to see your children grow up, graduate, get married and have grandchildren.

I do want to read the book. Did JObs do the book on audio? Anyone know? My prayers do go out for his children, wife and former girlfriend; family, friends and coworkers.