Marv Albert/Steve Kerr*
    Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery*
    Gus Johnson/Len Elmore*
    Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner
    Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
    Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
    Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel

*Semi-final and Regional Final Announce Teams

Note: Nantz, Kellogg and Kerr will call the "First Four" and Final Four.

In-studio: Greg Gumbel, Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Greg Anthony
    Other In-studio: Matt Winer, Steve Smith, Seth Davis, Reggie Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/s...ent-announcers

I like the addition of Steve Kerr. In fact, I like pretty much everybody on the list except Elmore ... who is terrible. I guess Bilas got cut out, though.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 01-21-2011 at 11:55 AM.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/27157956

Excited to see the NBA TNT team will be doing some studio coverage. Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.

Dang it!

When I read the thread title I thought it meant that they had been "released," if you know what I mean. As in, FIRED.

I find many of them pretty annoying at this point.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by gewwang View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/27157956

Excited to see the NBA TNT team will be doing some studio coverage. Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.
    I have the exact opposite reaction. I do not look forward to the amount of conversation given over to "pro potential of xyz player", how the NCAA really needs the charge circle and analysis and commentary that is more about a different game than college basketball.

I hope its not true, but I recall the ESPN "NBA announcers do college, college announcers do NBA" being pretty poor announcing.

Quote Originally Posted by gewwang View Post
    Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.
    Exactly. Some of you complain now, but all is forgiven once you hear the magic words from Sir Charles: "Carolina is turrible."

And you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    CBS, Turner has released roster of NCAA Tournament announcers:

Jim Nantz/Clark Kellogg*
    Marv Albert/Steve Kerr*
    Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery*
    Gus Johnson/Len Elmore*
    Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner
    Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
    Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
    Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel

*Semi-final and Regional Final Announce Teams

Note: Nantz, Kellogg and Kerr will call the "First Four" and Final Four.

In-studio: Greg Gumbel, Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Greg Anthony
    Other In-studio: Matt Winer, Steve Smith, Seth Davis, Reggie Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/s...ent-announcers

I like the addition of Steve Kerr. In fact, I like pretty much everybody on the list except Elmore ... who is terrible. I guess Bilas got cut out, though.
    Is Bilas exclusively with ESPN?

I'd like to hear a game in which Dickie V and Bob Knight were the only two guys doing the game.

I think that would be more entertaining then the game. We would have a very good idea of what the players were doing right and what they were doing wrong. But I could see Knight reach over and grab Dickie by the throat once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Dang it!

When I read the thread title I thought it meant that they had been "released," if you know what I mean. As in, FIRED.

I find many of them pretty annoying at this point.
    Sorry, it is a bit misleading title. My mistake. I was going to say "announcers announced" but thought that'd be a bit repetitive. A mod can feel free to rename to make it more clear.

Who do you find annoying? Definitely Elmore, and maybe Kellogg sometimes, but I like or am okay with pretty much everybody else. I can see how some might grow weary with Lundquist/Raftery, but I actually find them enjoyable. Much better than ESPN's teams, in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Is Bilas exclusively with ESPN?
    Nope, he's done the NCAA tournament for CBS the last several years. Elmore also is still doing it and he's with ESPN during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Nope, he's done the NCAA tournament for CBS the last several years. Elmore also is still doing it and he's with ESPN during the season.
    According to USAToday media column, Bilas' contract now is exclusive to ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by cwiley View Post
    According to USAToday media column, Bilas' contract now is exclusive to ESPN.
    Oh, I didn't realize it changed. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    I'd like to hear a game in which Dickie V and Bob Knight were the only two guys doing the game.

I think that would be more entertaining then the game. We would have a very good idea of what the players were doing right and what they were doing wrong. But I could see Knight reach over and grab Dickie by the throat once or twice.
    I seriously doubt we'd get any discussion of what the players were doing at all.

I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him. Kellogg is a whole lot better than he was before he went to the studio for several years; however, his continual attempts at being clever annoy me. Personally, of those color men listed, I like Jim Spanarkel the best but that may be the result of listening to too many games with Gminski, Raftery and Elmore. I look forward to hearing Kerr, the best long range shooter of all time. Not that interested in listenening to the NBA-types analyze the games but I could be surprised.

gw67

I think any thread remotely related to Gus Johnson is incomplete without a link to this.

In all seriousness though, I do like most of the announcers this year, especially the inclusion of the Brando and G-Man team (I don't recall them doing the tournament in previous years...) - obviously with the exception of Len Elmore. However, I am quite disappointed that Bilas is no longer covering the Dance, as I do find his analysis (that is, when it is not about Duke) to be very accurate and insightful. And of course, I would have been doing cartwheels had Knight been included on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him. Kellogg is a whole lot better than he was before he went to the studio for several years; however, his continual attempts at being clever annoy me. Personally, of those color men listed, I like Jim Spanarkel the best but that may be the result of listening to too many games with Gminski, Raftery and Elmore. I look forward to hearing Kerr, the best long range shooter of all time. Not that interested in listenening to the NBA-types analyze the games but I could be surprised.

gw67
    I still really enjoy the Raftery/Lundquist team even though it seems they've been announcing games together since Reagan was President (maybe it has been that long?)

Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Seriously, Harlan's monotone delivery puts me to sleep, I'd just rather turn the volume off. I feel sorry for the people in the Midwest who always have to hear him cover games.

Agree that Clark Kellogg is much better than he used to be.

Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel - ???

So we only have three Dukies this year. Our hegemony is cracking!

-jk

I really like Steve Kerr... he really knows his basketball, and he's very succinct and well-spoken. Of course, the best addition of all is Charles Barkley. Most studio analysis is completely worthless, with the exception of Sir Charles making me laugh.

Dan Bonner fan here, and I know there are a few others on DBR board, because I recall being pleasantly surprised [on a thread a year or more back] at the several other Bonner fans who praised his solid work.

When I first saw/heard him, he seemed a bit, well, goofy [maybe that broad smile]. But he focuses on the game, the action, provides good insights, some telling details.

Dan Bonner for President!

Or something.

Bill Foster Era

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So we only have three Dukies this year. Our hegemony is cracking!

-jk
    As a 1980 graduate, I find it interesting to note that the three Dukies are all pre-Coach K, which obviously makes them ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him.
    What?! I'm shocked! Shocked to the core! Gus Johnson is the best! A Detroit boy, great voice! "AND BURIES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Paired with mumblymouth old sourpuss Elmore, though, ugh. Seems like we never get Gus doing our games though, and still I would prefer to be at the game than watch tv any time.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    What?! I'm shocked! Shocked to the core! Gus Johnson is the best! A Detroit boy, great voice! "AND BURIES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Paired with mumblymouth old sourpuss Elmore, though, ugh. Seems like we never get Gus doing our games though, and still I would prefer to be at the game than watch tv any time.
    I find Johnson to be overbearing and quite irritating. I prefer announcers who do not project themselves into the game. Johnson does.