Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man, I like Totally Need a Haircut!

I suppose/assume (very possibly incorrectly) that men and women are different in this respect, but I have managed to put off getting a haircut for nearly two months now. I have a good excuse, with my leg surgery and all. I can't drive and I have to rely on other means of transportation and such. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, I'm beginning to look like a hippy but am managing to still look professional (I have an office job) with the aide of mass amounts of gel and hair bonding products.

Okay, that's not really the point either. It just got me to wondering (this is the "off topic" board right?) two things, and I'd like to hear some opinions, examples:

1. What's the longest you've ever unintentionally put off getting your hair cut?

2. On average, how long is it between cuts and is it more for women, or men?

-EarlJam

P.S. I'm down to my last five Percocet.

1. ~2.5 months - I moved to California and didn't have time to look for a hair cutter.

2. 3-4 weeks. I can't stand it when my hair touches my neck in the back, and I can't gel it properly after 4 weeks. My wife complains about how expensive her salon trips are, but if you add it up, we probably spend about the same amount per year ($15+tip each time for me out here on the west coast!!)

Does Albert Starr still work at the Duke barber shop?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I suppose/assume (very possibly incorrectly) that men and women are different in this respect, but I have managed to put off getting a haircut for nearly two months now. I have a good excuse, with my leg surgery and all. I can't drive and I have to rely on other means of transportation and such. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, I'm beginning to look like a hippy but am managing to still look professional (I have an office job) with the aide of mass amounts of gel and hair bonding products.

Okay, that's not really the point either. It just got me to wondering (this is the "off topic" board right?) two things, and I'd like to hear some opinions, examples:

1. What's the longest you've ever unintentionally put off getting your hair cut?

2. On average, how long is it between cuts and is it more for women, or men?

-EarlJam

P.S. I'm down to my last five Percocet.
    I went 28 weeks between my last haircuts. Generally, I average about 20 - 24 weeks.

Gender's not the issue

I don't think gender matters so much, but the length of the haircut you're trying to maintain. When I had a short (above the ear) hairstyle, I'd have to get it cut every 6 weeks, just to be able to style it appropriately. Now that it's below my shoulders, it's no problem to wait 4-5 months between cuts. (Though I primarily wear a ponytail for the last month or so when I wait that long.)

Good to hear your girl issue resolved itself so neatly, Earljam. I hope the thoughtful, more chill of the two is still in the picture.

Many guys get haircuts every couple weeks (or even more often in some cases), but I've gone way too long many times due to difficulties in finding the time. I used to get my hair cut by one particular person, which made it hard to find the right time. I have gone a couple months a couple times, but it gets real shaggy towards the end (and I've got an office job too).

As for west coast prices, $15 is cheap out here (the Supercuts chains etc are at least that much). Decent haircuts are at least $25 after tip.

6-8 weeks here, though I can stretch that if I'm lazy or distracted.

And $25-30 plus tip at a decent place in DC. You can probably find them cheaper, but for me convenience is worth a lot, and I want a place within walking distance of work.

Once a month is pretty ideal for me, but I probably average more like every 6-8 weeks. I tend to get it cut pretty short, so after 8 weeks, it's still "relatively" short.

$15 plus tip is dirt cheap. I think hair cuttery here in DC charges $16. The place I go near my office is $38 plus tip, which I thought was fairly reasonable for a nice place. Maybe I need to drop my standards a bit! It does seem a little stupid, considering my hair is really easy to cut, and takes them MAYBE 20 minutes, tops. So that's like $120 an hour to cut hair...

Albert Starr does still work at the Duke Barber Shop and so does David Fowler. Got a haircut there is past Saturday, two of the nicest gentlemen and the best haircut in town!

My haircuts go by the season. At the start of summer, I like to raze my hair down into a short, short buzz and get it cut every month. Once fall and winter comes around though, I need that extra hair to keep me warm so you won't see a hair cut for almost six months until mid to late spring.

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    Albert Starr does still work at the Duke Barber Shop and so does David Fowler. Got a haircut there is past Saturday, two of the nicest gentlemen and the best haircut in town!
    That's awesome. One thing I'll miss when I leave Chicago is my current barber; I would consider flying back here just to get my hair cut. But if I went back to see Albert instead I'd only need to go two or three times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    That's awesome. One thing I'll miss when I leave Chicago is my current barber; I would consider flying back here just to get my hair cut. But if I went back to see Albert instead I'd only need to go two or three times a year.
    Thanks for this thread deviation and the news about Albert & David (thank you markbdevil). Albert and David have been working there for how long now?

Also, how much does a haircut cost with them these days?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Me too!!

Thanks for the reminder to make an appointment. Keep forgetting to do that.

I love this board!!!

There's this newer place really close to where I live, but I'm having a hard time actually heading over there. It's called Major League Trim, and has an MLB theme to the place, but also has only attractive female barbers and charges a little extra for the haircut (although I don't think more than the $38 someone else mentioned they normally spend). I do think that you get a nice scalp massage and a beer with the haircut, though. It's an interesting idea, playing directly to a certain crowd, but I don't know how well the place does.

Cutting my own hair

My sons, like me, cut their own hair. In their case, the "high & tight" needs to be done weekly, and sometimes even more frequently. I've been cutting my own hair since my junior year in high school ('64). Living in Micronesia and Papua New Guinea bush areas didn't provide an easy fix. For awhile my wife did cut it with sissors, but she always wanted it longer than I did, and often ended up leaving it longer on the side she concluded with. So most years I stand in front of a couple mirrors and have become fairly accomplished at cutting it to my own liking.

Haircut Ironman!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    My sons, like me, cut their own hair. In their case, the "high & tight" needs to be done weekly, and sometimes even more frequently. I've been cutting my own hair since my junior year in high school ('64). Living in Micronesia and Papua New Guinea bush areas didn't provide an easy fix. For awhile my wife did cut it with sissors, but she always wanted it longer than I did, and often ended up leaving it longer on the side she concluded with. So most years I stand in front of a couple mirrors and have become fairly accomplished at cutting it to my own liking.
    Awesome post and intersting as well. So have you had your hair cut or trimmed up weekly since '64? If so, that would put you at or around 2,131 haircuts, or...one haircut for each game Cal Ripken Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles played on his way to breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played streak.

Ripken ended up playing 2,632 consecutive games. If you choose to equal that number and maintain the current rate of haircuts, you should break Ripken's number at some point in 2017. Cal Ripken Jr. was the IRON man...and, relating to this post, became IRONically bald.

-EarlJam

P.S. Down to just three more Percocets

Ok, since we're on this topic, I have a related question that's always haunted me. I'm a guy but have always gone to salons, not barbershops, and I try to find one person (tends to be a woman) and stick with that person. Occasionally, after some time, I want to try someone new, but I feel like my regular "stylist" is going to think I'm "cheating" on her. And if I go back to her later on, she's liable to hold a grudge and do something funky to my hair. Consequently, the only way I would try someone new would be to leave the establishment altogether, which bums me out because I like the owner and they treat me well there. So, if I want to stay with that shop, I feel that I have to stay with my regular stylist. It's a prisoner's dilemma. Am I crazy or giving this too much thought?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

geebus

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Once a month is pretty ideal for me, but I probably average more like every 6-8 weeks. I tend to get it cut pretty short, so after 8 weeks, it's still "relatively" short.

$15 plus tip is dirt cheap. I think hair cuttery here in DC charges $16. The place I go near my office is $38 plus tip, which I thought was fairly reasonable for a nice place. Maybe I need to drop my standards a bit! It does seem a little stupid, considering my hair is really easy to cut, and takes them MAYBE 20 minutes, tops. So that's like $120 an hour to cut hair...
    I'm used to paying some FOB Vietnamese guy $5+tip at a hair cut sweat shop (ok it wasn't that bad, they were all licensed) in Houston... but then again that's what you get for having a cheap Asian dad

NOT Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ok, since we're on this topic, I have a related question that's always haunted me. I'm a guy but have always gone to salons, not barbershops, and I try to find one person (tends to be a woman) and stick with that person. Occasionally, after some time, I want to try someone new, but I feel like my regular "stylist" is going to think I'm "cheating" on her. And if I go back to her later on, she's liable to hold a grudge and do something funky to my hair. Consequently, the only way I would try someone new would be to leave the establishment altogether, which bums me out because I like the owner and they treat me well there. So, if I want to stay with that shop, I feel that I have to stay with my regular stylist. It's a prisoner's dilemma. Am I crazy or giving this too much thought?
    I had this dilemma when I went to a salon for about a year here in Atlanta. Wanted to try someone new, and felt like I was cheating. The girl I was dating at the time said she has felt the same thing. So, I think what you are expressing is very common and very Seinfeldian. Can you imagine getting busted? "YOU BASTARD! I KNEW IT! AND WITH AMBER!? MY BEST FRIEND!? HOW COULD YOU!?"

Good stuff - but I have no solution. As in relationships, my advice would be, don't cheat - unless your current stylist is doing you wrong in some way (e.g. Styling & Battery).

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Thanks for this thread deviation and the news about Albert & David (thank you markbdevil). Albert and David have been working there for how long now?

Also, how much does a haircut cost with them these days?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I think David Fowler has been at Duke Barber Shop over 30 years. Haircuts are still under $20. One of the great things about getting a haircut there is meeting coaches and athletes, plus going to the Duke store in the Bryan Center.