Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Georgia Tech 78, UNC-CH 58

Carolina about to lose its "undefeated-in-the-ACC" status, down by thirteen at Ga Tech with under 4 minutes remaining. They seem to be conceding the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Carolina about to lose its "undefeated-in-the-ACC" status, down by thirteen at Ga Tech with under 4 minutes remaining. They seem to be conceding the inevitable.
    I'll trade you a Kendall Marshall and a Drew II for a Division 1 point guard.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA
    Make that 16! GTHC!!

Grey Devil

I've been holding off posting on this subject to avoid the jinx, but look at how poorly UNC has shot and how many TO's they have!

Ahhh, league play. Let's not fret too much about our guys, eh!

I hate to admit it, but I've been quietly trolling IC (no comments just strictly observing), and I haven't laughed so much in 2 hours in a long time. I know how we get when we lose, but those fans on IC are in total revolt mode. It's only 1 loss, but you would think Roy Williams haden't won 2 NC's the past 5 years. I am still laughing!

Well, Carolina is no Kennesaw State.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    You got that right!!! LOL! I'm just so happy right now.

GT won by 20

Can you imagine that GT got to pull some of their starters at the end? Complete blowout in the second half. Henson got a nasty stinger on his left elbow with about 2 minutes remaining.

UNC just looked terrible. Total beatdown in the second half.

Ga Tech wins - 78 - 58

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Can you imagine that GT got to pull some of their starters at the end? Complete blowout in the second half. Henson got a nasty stinger on his left elbow with about 2 minutes remaining.
    I only saw the second half, but Kerlina really was sloppy with the ball. TONS of unforced t/o's, and a lack of effort several times late (such as the GT breakaway with about 4.5 minutes to go -- only 2 'heels bothered running back so it became 4 on 2). I don't know what it is, b/c they seem to play great in flashes... but sure got demoralized quick, and not all that cohesive throughout. Terrible guard play, and overall I thought got out-efforted by the Ga Tech frontline. Any ideas what's wrong with Barnes?

I agree, that Clemson sure has a chance to beat that winless-in-CH string this year, Wed. night. Though this loss should light a fire under the boys in faded blue...

And, yes, I was wondering if Henson could have had shoulder damage the way his elbow got jammed underneath him, but they were only looking at the elbow. 'hope it isn't serious.

It sure is going to be a cat-fight this year in the ACC -- at least for 2nd through ninth!!

P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

Last edited by -bdbd; 01-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Everyone knows that life on the road can be tough in the ACC, but UNC just looked like they phoned in the second half. Their defense pretty much matched their offense in effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

Two thoughts:
    1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA ).
    2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA ).
    2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.
    Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...
    doesn't Gailey come off the books this year? That may free up some money for Hewitt's absurd contract.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Tech

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Shumpert and Rice stepped up and the holes went scoreless for the final 9 min from the field. Almost as many in baby blue at the game as Tech supporters who have apparently expressed their displeasure with Hewitt by not showing up for the game. I felt sorry for teh Tech players. Its Clemson next in CH. Could the streak be broken?

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Almost as many in baby blue at the game as Tech supporters who have apparently expressed their displeasure with Hewitt by not showing up for the game. I felt sorry for teh Tech players.
    This is telling for both programs. In the past, even when Tech was down, a good UNC team would bring out the faithful to the Thriller Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuqua's Finest View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I've been quietly trolling IC (no comments just strictly observing), and I haven't laughed so much in 2 hours in a long time. I know how we get when we lose, but those fans on IC are in total revolt mode. It's only 1 loss, but you would think Roy Williams haden't won 2 NC's the past 5 years. I am still laughing!
    I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.
    It's pretty hard to sustain that last claim when your team just attempted twenty more free throws than its opponent and still managed to get stomped.

Just a few random thoughts

1. The crowd at Alexander Memorial Coliseum (referred to at least once during the broadcast as " the Memorial Coliseum" - I guess the same as the Indoor Stadium?)
    GA Tech is notorious for fair-weathered fans, for both basketball and football. Not at all surprised that there were lots of seats to be picked up by unc fans.

2. Like several others, I took a peek at the ic boards - wow, that's brutal. really makes me appreciate DBR. Yeah, we have high expectations, and get frustrated when things are going rough, and express it. I know I did during the first half yesterday. But, we don't start 567 threads on how bad we are..

3. And, on that note, we need to keep our expectations in check for how fantastic Austin Rivers is going to be next year...remember how high everyone was on Barnes? Now they are calling him a monumental failure because he's having trouble as a freshman. I'd hate to see that happen here.

4. I'm really, really glad that we don't go to Atlanta this year. Hewitt's game plan for Duke seems to be to play physical and see how much the refs will allow them to get by with. Extremely ugly games here the last few years. I've spent most of the time worrying that someone will get hurt-not whether or not we would win. I only saw the first half of tonight's game, but can only assume that with the number of free throws that unc took, that might have been a strategy for tonight, too. Intimidate them into submission?

Another IC gem:

"I wonder if Roy's Momma told him life was like a box of chocolates?"

And, for those who keep posting about how Coach K needs to play more players more often, etc., go look at IC and see what the fan base says about their coach who does exactly that. It'll cure you quick.