Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post

“We didn’t come frickin’ ready to play. I’m mad at the world. We stunk. I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”
    All he needs is the cowboy hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDkSh2_PRdI

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I hear you Supa and understand what you are saying, but I do feel that they could have had their way inside against Tech. Henson and Zeller are in no sense of the word "bruisers", but still, against last night's competition, they should have been able to have success in there. Zeller can score down there and has shown it. If Henson cannot score against Oliver, he does not have much of a future.

By the way, thought any more about the Barnes/Curtis Hunter comparison?
    The funny thing is that the Henson shot that I did see go in was a freaking jump hook. I think he could be a terror if used correctly - his length reminds me so much of Luol. But take him out, get him cold, and give the ball to Turnover Jesus or Slow Marshall and he's rendered ineffective.

AND WOW - he's looking more like Hunter by the day. Hunter avgd. 10.6 pts as a freshmen but I think Barnes may have already exceeded the 76 attempts Hunter needed to do that (but he also played with Jordan, Perkins, and Daugherty). Let's just hope Barnes never wants to coach N.C. A&T for my own mental health.

(WHOOOOAA - I just checked and Barnes has already shot the ball an amazing 189 times putting him on pace to break 300 shots easy. In fact - Barnes has shot more than any other Heel.)

If Harrison shot that much for our coach he'd be at Duke Med soon for splinter removal surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    If Harrison shot that much for our coach he'd be at Duke Med soon for splinter removal surgery.
    Yeah, but if he averaged two more made shots a game those would be high-grade splinters.

In retrospect, the banana suit may have been the most appealing part of his season.

Is there a fund

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Roy did say he was crazy. To quote Roy: "I'm so mad I'd fight somebody with a chainsaw right now."

I agree with Roy.
    Couldn't we get a fund together and hire a guy? I mean, wouldn't it be kinda charitable to hire a guy with a chain saw and set this fight up, so that Roy and the Carolina fanbase can work out their frustration once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Couldn't we get a fund together and hire a guy? I mean, wouldn't it be kinda charitable to hire a guy with a chain saw and set this fight up, so that Roy and the Carolina fanbase can work out their frustration once and for all.
    Roy has an increasingly strange way with words. References to chain saw fights are probably never a good idea. Not good to portray, much less betray, oneself as a clown. I'm beginning to think of him as the Michael Scott of the coaching world.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether UNC beat writers look forward - fascinated in spite of themselves - to seeing how unhinged Roy will be with each loss.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In retrospect, the banana suit may have been the most a-peeling part of his season.
    Fixed that for ya. With my apologies.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Roy has an increasingly strange way with words. References to chain saw fights are probably never a good idea. Not good to portray, much less betray, oneself as a clown. I'm beginning to think of him as the Michael Scott of the coaching world.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether UNC beat writers look forward - fascinated in spite of themselves - to seeing how unhinged Roy will be with each loss.
    This is a perfect comparison.

Hey, come to think of it... "The Office" is going to need a new boss after this season, and ol' Roy might be looking for a new job... hmmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Sorry Roy, you don't play in the Thunderdome this year.
    Who run Self-Pity Town?

Roy run Self-Pity Town!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This is a perfect comparison.

Hey, come to think of it... "The Office" is going to need a new boss after this season, and ol' Roy might be looking for a new job... hmmmmmmmm...
    We should be thoughtful and pitch-in to get him one of these:
    347629896v1_225x225_Back.jpg

After all, if it says it on a mug, it must be true, right?

I go into every unc game believing they will lose until proven otherwise...this game is no different. GO TIGERS!

wow!

Roy quotes
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1040413.html

"And in today’s culture, it’s hard. I’ve got half of the guys on my team that their mom and dad and their friends and everything think that they’re going to make $88 million. They could give a flip whether we win a game or not. They want their guy to get 37 shots and play 50 minutes in a 40-minute game.
    Last edited by sleepybear; 01-18-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Roy quotes
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1040413.html

"And in today’s culture, it’s hard. I’ve got half of the guys on my team that their mom and dad and their friends and everything think that they’re going to make $88 million. They could give a flip whether we win a game or not. They want their guy to get 37 shots and play 50 minutes in a 40-minute game.
    Here we go again, Roy making a point of how much more he cares than anyone else does, "It’s something that I’ve told many teams – if you cared one-tenth about it as much as I do gosh it would be a lot of fun"
    Why does he continue to recruit these type of uncaring selfish players???

Barnes leads the team in shots taken, and if one of those shots has been taken out of a set play for him, I haven't seen it. Why not take a little time and coach up the guys to recognize defenses and set some plays up for your players that will put them in better positions to score... oh wait, I forgot, he would rather do anything than to have to set up a play... must take too much effort on his part to have to come up with those daggum basketball plays. Probably would cut into his massage therapy time...

Roy is quickly turning into a joke. I have to wonder how well his, recruiting pitch goes over when he tells prospects that they will have freedom in his system to score in the 70's each night!! Wow, not too many places where you can go and do that, plus be a bubble team with the added excitement of wondering if you will make the NCAAT...
    Last edited by oldnavy; 01-18-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Turnover Jesus!!! Oh I'm stealing that. Hilarious...
    Turnover Jesus is a great one-two punch with Spider Monkey, aka Signs, aka Coke Zero, aka John Henson.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The top candidates for the job, theoretically, would be pretty much anybody they want. The real question would be whether the folks in the Dump on the Hump would be willing to go outside "the family" for their next hire. In light of the current dearth of tar heel-born and tar heel-bred coaches in D-1, I think they'd about have to.
    Of course, to be very honest about the situation, there is no question. Roy would pridefully retire before getting fired, and that would take, I think, several more seasons. No way they cut him loose anytime soon.
    It might be tricky contacting ol' roy in the off season, as he will likely be golfing. Or worse. there is the slim chance he'll be out watching a recruit play, but his cellphone ringtone rarely wakes him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I am amazed that people continue to put all of this on Drew. There is a heck of a lot more going on that is causing this 2 year train wreck, than just bad play from Larry Drew.

It starts with coaching. Ga Tech started 4 guards last night. They have zero inside play. For large stretches of the game, Henson was being defended by 6'6 Brian Oliver yet UNC rarely attempted to get the ball in the post. They should have abused the Oliver/Henson match up all night long, as well as getting the ball to Zeller. Instead, Henson played 25 minutes and took 9 shots. Zeller played 20 minutes and took 6 shots.

You are playing the smallest team in the league and you play right into their hands. Meanwhile, Justin Watts gets 15 minutes at the PF spot, and Roy decides that subbing in and out 5 man rotations is somehow helpful. Even there though, he out smarts himself. 3 different times the starting 5 fall behind by 10 and the 2nd team comes in and either ties it back up or cuts it to 1. Roy then goes right back to the 5 starters who once again gets down 10 or more.

Just bizarre. They did not play with passion and they did not match Tech's intensity, and having no leader on the floor definitely hurts, but Roy did them no favors with his coaching either.

Drew is not a great player but he alone is not the issue. Barnes is an issue, the wings are an issue, and coaching is a huge issue. Marshall has played well on the offensive side of the ball, but he is a huge liability on the defensive end, so while he makes the offense better, he makes a bad defense even worse.

They need to shorten the rotation, slow the game down, and pound it into the paint. On the defensive side, with their quickness and length, there is no reason why they are not one of the top defensives in the league beyond Roy not giving a crap about playing defense.

It will be interesting to see if they bounce back from this and get it together or if they repeat last year and fall apart.
    I agree with most of your assessment here. However, in fairness, the Heels actually ARE a pretty good defensive team. Pomeroy has them as #14 in the nation in defensive efficiency this year. They could probably be better, but that's still pretty good. Their bigger problem is that their offense just isn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Would that "steak" be well done or medium rare?
    Heh... I guess it was a Freudian Shrimp. I am HAWNGREE..
    I've lost 70lbs since last June and it isn't easy.

But if you are offering to buy me a steak, just send a check, I'll take that instead.

Let's continue this one here.

-jk