Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Almost as many in baby blue at the game as Tech supporters who have apparently expressed their displeasure with Hewitt by not showing up for the game. I felt sorry for teh Tech players.
    This is telling for both programs. In the past, even when Tech was down, a good UNC team would bring out the faithful to the Thriller Dome.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Sorry Roy, you don't play in the Thunderdome this year.
    Love it. When Roy gives us all fodder with quotes like "chainsaw", it actually kind of makes me happy we have him in the ACC. He is non-stop entertainment when the heels are stinking it up.

  3. #83
    I have been at InsideCarolina watching the meltdown.

    At first it was fun, but after awhile it made my skin crawl.

    I think our team will have some real ups and downs this year. Let's remind ourselves that, when we have the downs, we should NOT make posts like some of those Carolina fans. These are young student athletes after all. I may have wanted to throw things at the TV during the FSU game like alot of us, but having read the vitriol at InsideCarolina, I don't ever, ever want us to be like that no matter how badly things are going on the court!

    Go Duke!

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    On the radio yesterday they were discussing the whole "What if Harrison Hit One More Shot?" segment from the TV broadcast. The producers are the ones that come up with these things. As a commentator, Bilas is forced to talk about whatever junk they put in front of him. So it wasn't his fault. The radio guys actually said they felt sorry for Bilas for being forced to make it sound like a viable point of discussion.

    Here's a screen capture, for those who wish to wallow some more in the ridiculousness of it all

    http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla...hed-be-better/

  5. #85
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    Roy...came through with this bit of hilarity after the game:

    "I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”
    Look out Leatherface! Maybe the Carolina kids can dress up as scary Roy for Halloween on Franklin St.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 01-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Ok, How can you possibly get mad enough to fight a man with a chainsaw?? I mean, that crosses the line from being angry to being down right insane. Maybe Roy should have said that I am crazy enough to fight a man with a chainsaw right now. But what do I know, maybe up in the mountains they get mad and go out and find guys with chainsaws to pick fights with???

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Ok, How can you possibly get mad enough to fight a man with a chainsaw?? I mean, that crosses the line from being angry to being down right insane. Maybe Roy should have said that I am crazy enough to fight a man with a chainsaw right now. But what do I know, maybe up in the mountains they get mad and go out and find guys with chainsaws to pick fights with???
    Roy did say he was crazy. To quote Roy: "I'm so mad I'd fight somebody with a chainsaw right now."

    I agree with Roy.

  8. #88
    I have watched GA Tech play several times this year, and this is the worst GA Tech team I can remember.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia

    Bring back Matt . . .

    Identifying and recruiting talent is not synonymous with coaching. Coaching obviously also requires the development of a cohesive, integrated, and tenacious TEAM from talented individuals. I have been truly astonished at Coach Williams' inability to perform this crucial function last year and (so far) this season. I am not willing to suggest yet that this is a fatal pattern, but it increasing appears to be more than a single year aberration. Perhaps this is the "new" Carolina Way to complement Davis'/football's academic dishonesty and illicit financial dealings/recruiting.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I can't wait until roy starts blaming the Duke staff for his woes. His logic will be IMO probably something like, "you know it's Duke's fault for first identifying the recruits we 'stole' from them. If Duke had initially identified better targets to go after then my life would not be such a disaster".

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I can't wait until roy starts blaming the Duke staff for his woes. His logic will be IMO probably something like, "you know it's Duke's fault for first identifying the recruits we 'stole' from them. If Duke had initially identified better targets to go after then my life would not be such a disaster".
    Kin-tucky fans blame Duke for many of their shortcomings/losses/misadventures, why can't ol' roy start.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Look out Leatherface! Maybe the Carolina kids can dress up as scary Roy for Halloween on Franklin St.
    You don't think bananas and pumpkins were enough?

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post
    ... Like several others, I took a peek at the ic boards - wow, that's brutal. really makes me appreciate DBR. ... But, we don't start 567 threads on how bad we are. ...
    Actually, we do. But 350 of the threads are deleted by mods and the rest are merged into a single thread.

    Is there a smilie for being MOSTLY sarcastic?


    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Here's another quote from IC:

    Someone please tell me what Roy has done in the past season and a half that gives any evidence he can coach better than Paul Hewitt.
    Hard to think of a bigger insult without citing Bob Staak.
    That is so mean he could get an infraction on THIS board.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    I have been saying for a long time that Roy could not lead a duck to water. And since leadership is an intergral part of successful coaching, I find Roy very lacking as a coach. He seems to have the inability to get teams to do what he wants them to do. To me that is poor leadership. I am sure he knows a lot about basketball, but how seriously can you take a "coach" that tells a recruit that the last thing he wants to do is call a play? There may be a good reason he doesn't want to call a play!! When you watch UNC play notice how the team is totally unaware of score and clock. I cannot count the number of times UNC has come down the floor and taken a bad shot within ten seconds when they should have pulled the ball out and set something up to burn some clock and limit the other teams possession. They do it all the time. So either that is how they are coached, or they are coached not to do that and totally ignore the coaching, either way it is a poor reflection on Roy. He can get mad and pick fights with chainsaws if he wants to, but it is HIS fault. I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's and Roy would probably have even a worse record than he does now.... so go ahead and blast away at me, but that is my opinion and I am sticking with it!

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I have been saying for a long time that Roy could not lead a duck to water. And since leadership is an intergral part of successful coaching, I find Roy very lacking as a coach. He seems to have the inability to get teams to do what he wants them to do. To me that is poor leadership. I am sure he knows a lot about basketball, but how seriously can you take a "coach" that tells a recruit that the last thing he wants to do is call a play? There may be a good reason he doesn't want to call a play!! When you watch UNC play notice how the team is totally unaware of score and clock. I cannot count the number of times UNC has come down the floor and taken a bad shot within ten seconds when they should have pulled the ball out and set something up to burn some clock and limit the other teams possession. They do it all the time. So either that is how they are coached, or they are coached not to do that and totally ignore the coaching, either way it is a poor reflection on Roy. He can get mad and pick fights with chainsaws if he wants to, but it is HIS fault. I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's and Roy would probably have even a worse record than he does now.... so go ahead and blast away at me, but that is my opinion and I am sticking with it!
    I don't know if the remark about reversing the records would hold true, but I do agree with the sentiment about Roy. He doesn't seem to able to adjust his style of play if he doesn't have the right mix of players on his team, expecially a PG that can push the pace of play. Judging from his remarks and frustration level, I don't think he has any answers right now, either.

    The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    I don't know if the remark about reversing the records would hold true, but I do agree with the sentiment about Roy. He doesn't seem to able to adjust his style of play if he doesn't have the right mix of players on his team, expecially a PG that can push the pace of play. Judging from his remarks and frustration level, I don't think he has any answers right now, either.

    The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?
    Let 'em flounder/

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?
    The top candidates for the job, theoretically, would be pretty much anybody they want. The real question would be whether the folks in the Dump on the Hump would be willing to go outside "the family" for their next hire. In light of the current dearth of tar heel-born and tar heel-bred coaches in D-1, I think they'd about have to.
    Of course, to be very honest about the situation, there is no question. Roy would pridefully retire before getting fired, and that would take, I think, several more seasons. No way they cut him loose anytime soon.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's
    ix-nay.....there are no kyle singlers or nolan smiths on that team....
    "Either we're going down, or they are....... Kirk out!"

  19. #99
    Lots of folks saying Roy's a mediocre coach and can't lead his team....

    While there may be some truth to it, how in the heck did he do so well at Kansas and at UNC for the first several years? He had sustained success at both Kansas and (until very recently) UNC....he didn't just inherit some great talent and "luck out."

    Is this just a little lull for Ole Roy? Or is something happening which is more profound?

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ix-nay.....there are no kyle singlers or nolan smiths on that team....
    True, But he would get a ton more production out of Bullock, Marshall, Zeller, Henson, McDonald and even DrewII.... Barnes would be playing within himself with plays set to run through him (maybe something like a curl play or a back screen lob) rather than toss him the ball 24 feet from the basket and hope he can figure something out....

    Plus Roy would negate the basketball IQ or Nolan, and Kyle by insisting that they heave up a shot, any shot within 10 seconds of crossing mid court so he would not have to set up a daggum play!! Our guys would not play the defense they do now, because that is not a requirement on the hill. Now if he had Kyrie, he would do fine with our group of kids.

    There is no way to settle this, but I truly believe that if K had UNC's team we would be ranked in the top 5 and a potential FF team.... Those kids would play pressure D, run a motion style offense, and would work the freakin ball into Zeller so he gets more than 6 shots against GT. Henson would rebound and kick out to Bullock or McDonald who could hit an open jumper. Barnes would have a clue on where to be and what to do. That and the fact he wouldn't be playing 10 guys 15 minutes every game for no apparent reason so they could develop some type of cohesion.
    Last edited by oldnavy; 01-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. UNC - Georgia Tech
    By 4decadedukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM
  2. MBB: Georgia Tech 68, UNC-CH 51
    By left_hook_lacey in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
  3. MBB: Georgia Tech 73, UNC-CH 71
    By jjasper0729 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
  4. Paul Johnson (Georgia Tech 45, Georgia 42)
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 08:59 AM
  5. We Need Virginia Tech to Lose Tonight...or Georgia Tech to Win
    By Udaman in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •