Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I couldn't read Coach K's lips last night, but I'm pretty sure he called Miles an "effing selfish MFer" when we came off the court.
    Too funny.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas. With this succinct post, i hope to catch up.

I have been somewhat critical of Miles' (and Mason's) recent performances; for that matter, I have not felt our team has played with sufficient intensity and tenacity in several recent outings (especially, Miami, FSU, and the first half of the Virginia game). While I do not retract any of these opinions, I was very pleased with the Plums, with Duke's aggregate performance and with evident attitudes/teamwork/savvy in yesterday's NCSU victory (and, for that matter, the second half of last Saturday's UVa game).

Regardless of the reasons, I now feel we are playing with improved TEAM offense and particularly defense. WELL DONE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas. With this succinct post, i hope to catch up.

I have been somewhat critical of Miles' (and Mason's) recent performances; for that matter, I have not felt our team has played with sufficient intensity and tenacity in several recent outings (especially, Miami, FSU, and the first half of the Virginia game). While I do not retract any of these opinions, I was very pleased with the Plums, with Duke's aggregate performance and with evident attitudes/teamwork/savvy in yesterday's NCSU victory (and, for that matter, the second half of last Saturday's UVa game).

Regardless of the reasons, I now feel we are playing with improved TEAM offense and particularly defense. WELL DONE!!!
    I echo these sentiments, as well as those from several posters hoping that this doesn't turn out to be last year's Wake Forest game for the Plumlees (i.e., the high point of the year by far).

I'm still not convinced on Miles, but I'm starting to become cautiously optimistic about Mason. This is three straight good games defensively. The offense will come (and we don't need that much of it anyway) if he keeps his head on straight and continues to play good position defense without fouling. Keep it up, Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas.!
    Clearly, this is the same guy on the ad who says "I work in national security. I really can't say anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    The most impressive play of the night to me or at least the play that made me yell the loudest was when Miles got a put back and one. He got an O rebound and DID NOT HESITATE to go straight back up strong and put the ball in.
    The bench did explode with enthusiasm at that play.

I'd point to another great play which led to K giving Miles a very positive "great job" during a timeout. At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

I'd point to another great play which led to K giving Miles a very positive "great job" during a timeout. At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.
    I saw that too... subtle, but I think, effective. Coach K made a concerted effort to reach over Nolan for that tap to Miles. Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    The bench did explode with enthusiasm at that play.

At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.
    I renumber that play and thought it was a superb effort -- both athletically and in terms of mental readiness; Battieresqe, and that is the highest defensive praise.