Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is something wrong with Miles??? NO!!

I'm sorry to be posting this if it has already been talked about...I looked around and didn't see it so hopefully I didn't just miss it.

I was wondering if there is something wrong with Miles. He didn't play a whole lot in the FSU game and barely played today against UVA. Being at the game today I glanced over a couple times to see if he "looked like his normal self". I don't know that I could tell anything by looking at his expressions, but I just am puzzled why he's on the bench. Did he do something wrong academically? Is he practicing poorly? I just can't figure it out. There has to be something because with all due respect, he brings A LOT more to our team than Ryan Kelly!

I do remember watching the All-Access Duke before the season and Coach K told the assistants that Ryan could be a weapon, and I agree. However, he's not been a weapon all year, IMO. Just taking the FSU and UVA games into account, Ryan has taken way too many shots and come up empty on almost all of them. Now, today he made a couple good plays on great passes from Kyle, but for the most part he stands outside and shoots threes and hasn't made a single one since I can remember.

I am in no way trying to bash Ryan and in no way do I wish not to play him, I just want to understand why he plays and Miles doesn't. I wish both would play like they were playing at the beginning of the season. After all, Miles did start on a National Championship team. I hope you guys don't take this post the wrong way, I am just confused and looking for some insight in anyone has any!

GO DUKE!!!

i'm definitely not taking it the wrong way and hopefully no one else does. actually, i was wondering the same thing. he doesn't seem to be playing bad in the last couple of games. he did have a dislocated finger earlier in the year, but i don't know of any specific injury problem.

i will say this, i think that with magnum K.I. out, singler has to play the 4 spot as opposed to the wing. This puts 3 guys in competition for minutes at the 5 and i think miles might be the odd-man-out in that situation because mason is more athletic (hard to imagine i know) and ryan is more versatile with his shooting ability (he did win the 3-point contest at the McDonald's All American Game).

in any matter, i hope miles sees much more minutes because he brings a lot to the table with his athleticism, strength, and experience. if not, he's got a great attitude and is undoubtedly a leader on this young team.

Duke's bigs

have not distinguished themselves as being solid with the ball on the interior. All have shown promise, but have not been strong with the ball. Mason is getting lot's of rebounds but has not shown much offense(missed dunk today). Ryan has shown great basketball IQ but has played mostly on the perimeter. Miles has been up and down. He's not shown much consistency and Hairston hasn't gotter much pt. I think Coach K is playing his best practice players right now and Mason must not be getting it done. I hope Miles and the rest of the bigs get it done in practice and against NC State as we will have our hands full with Smith and company. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by redick4pres View Post
    I'm sorry to be posting this if it has already been talked about...I looked around and didn't see it so hopefully I didn't just miss it.

I was wondering if there is something wrong with Miles. He didn't play a whole lot in the FSU game and barely played today against UVA. Being at the game today I glanced over a couple times to see if he "looked like his normal self". I don't know that I could tell anything by looking at his expressions, but I just am puzzled why he's on the bench. Did he do something wrong academically? Is he practicing poorly? I just can't figure it out. There has to be something because with all due respect, he brings A LOT more to our team than Ryan Kelly!

I do remember watching the All-Access Duke before the season and Coach K told the assistants that Ryan could be a weapon, and I agree. However, he's not been a weapon all year, IMO. Just taking the FSU and UVA games into account, Ryan has taken way too many shots and come up empty on almost all of them. Now, today he made a couple good plays on great passes from Kyle, but for the most part he stands outside and shoots threes and hasn't made a single one since I can remember.

I am in no way trying to bash Ryan and in no way do I wish not to play him, I just want to understand why he plays and Miles doesn't. I wish both would play like they were playing at the beginning of the season. After all, Miles did start on a National Championship team. I hope you guys don't take this post the wrong way, I am just confused and looking for some insight in anyone has any!

GO DUKE!!!
    Two words: Dog. House.

Not sure why, but its pretty clear that Miles is hanging with Snoopy in the back yard.

I asked Ozzie during both halves if Miles had an adequate supply of these:

http://milkbone.com/

hmmmm....

I wonder what Marshall thinks about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    I wonder what Marshall thinks about it?
    I assume he thinks that he could be a big help right now and get some minutes.

I don't know why K is doing the interior rotation he is -- looking for the best combination, I assume -- but I doubt it is either arbitrary or capricious.

Could also be an undisclosed injury that he's battling (he's lacking aggression - perhaps that's due to something physical). We don't really know what it is, so I hope we all keep an open mind.

I'm confident Miles will be playing better as the season progresses.

s.i.

The lady sitting next to me nailed it when she replied "Miles is Mason without the rebounds".

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    The lady sitting next to me nailed it when she replied "Miles is Mason without the rebounds".
    It's a witty remark, for sure, given Miles' mediocre play just now. Whether there's any substance behind the remark might go a long way toward determining the Devils' fortunes this season.

As follows:

1. If the only thing either Miles or Mason can do is rebound, and Miles can't even do that very well, then his move toward the end of the bench will be psychologically delicate for the team [not to mention for Miles!]. It would almost certainly mean lots of minutes for Kyle at the 4.

2. Similarly, if the remark is substantively accurate, one might imagine a disappointing season. Presumably, the claim is that they share weaknesses. This lines of thinking says: (a) Both have tended to commit silly fouls, e.g., slapping at the ball after failing to get the rebound. (b) Neither has good court sense, good footwork, good hands. (c) Neither is anything close to a reliable scorer, and both have a maddening tendency to miss from right at the very rim.

3. If the remark is clever [and understandable given the disappointment in not simply blowing out UVa] but substantively inaccurate [both because Mason and Miles are more dissimilar than similar, and because they have strengths as well as weaknesses as players], then we might still imagine a season with far more highlights than low, and some good games from both Plumlees.

We're all going to find out whether this pithy witticism portends a very disappointing season for We the Entitled, or whether the Plumlees can play effectively without Kyrie, at least for awhile longer. The culture that the coaching staff has created over the years seems neither to encourage nor even tolerate sulking. So, we should be realistic about both Miles and Mason, but not gloomy about either.

From (the bottom of) Jim Sumner's game summary on the front page he wrote that K said Miles did not play much due to "his brother's effectiveness and Virginia going small."

I'll trust Jim reporting to us something directly from K.

I was at yesterday's game and seated with the Crazies, which was terrific (but that is a different topic); I could not see the action too well, surrounded by taller, younger guys and all of us standing -- and cheering -- for the entire game. However, I will offer an "impression" based on my less-than-ideal field-of-view. Both Plumlees seemed to me to be not fully engaged -- especially during the first-half -- with too many "mental lapses." I respectfully suggest that could easily be the cause of immediate doghouse consignment (particularly, multiple occurrences). Mason's second half performance seemed FAR more focused, alert, forward-thinking and successful.

Please understand that I have not yet really thought this trough thoroughly or reviewed yesterday's statistics -- I am offering ONLY an initial, visceral impression.

IMO the answer to the OP's question is:

Yes....
    a) Lacks focus on too many occasions
    b) Lacks soft hands
    c) Not an adept passer out of the post

These are all things I am sure are being worked on...as for now, Ryan and Mason---while not exceptionally gifted at the above traits---have Miles beat on all three points.

The biggest problem if you look at yesterdays game where UVA is thin and small in the post. Our bigs shot three freethrows between Kelly, Mason, Miles and Hairston. That shows a lack of agression when our bigs have the ball or a lack of possesions in the post. If you include Kyle in the free throws because he did play the four a lot yesterday we only go up two more. How are we going to get teams that have legit centers in foul trouble if our bigs are not agressive and take fade aways in the lane?
    The Terrapin Assassin

I have been to last 3 games and have left scratching head as to why both Plumlee's can't finish under basket. Early season with Kyrie it was looking much better but now I don't see either one with the aggression to finish once they get rebound or have ball under basket.

I also noticed in first half both Smith and Singler talking to other 3 players on court
    seeming frustrated with the way they were playing. It has to be hard to be carrying load like they have been, finally Dawkins started hitting or it might have ended different.

I assume Coach K lit em up at half time as I was worried FL State had deflated the boys.
    The team is not invincible esp without Irving. Did you see the Ref telling Coach K to contain Irving's coaching from Bench. You got to love the kid. It must be hard sitting and watching team and not being able to contribute.

It is going to be interesting ACC season and I hope and pray we get Irving back sooner then later.

After watching Zubek get better year by year I am hoping Mason and Miles improve as much. Also I wonder why the team isn't passing more on offense to try to establish open shot vs just driving and shooting. Do you think they figure the more they shoot the more they make will win games esp 3's?

bigguns

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    The biggest problem if you look at yesterdays game where UVA is thin and small in the post. Our bigs shot three freethrows between Kelly, Mason, Miles and Hairston. That shows a lack of agression when our bigs have the ball or a lack of possesions in the post. If you include Kyle in the free throws because he did play the four a lot yesterday we only go up two more. How are we going to get teams that have legit centers in foul trouble if our bigs are not agressive and take fade aways in the lane?
    I agree that the lack of FTs from our interior is something to be taken seriously, but until Mason, and to a lesser extent Miles, can convert them at a better rate, I'm not upset that they aren't taking that many. The upside to it is that more reps ought to equal better performance from the line and more fouls on the opposing beg men is always a plus.
    That fade-away across the lane from Mason needs to be eliminated, and thankfully he didn't attempt one vs UVa. Ryan definitely needs to seek more contact in the lane as he is a very good FT shooter, ditto for Kyle.
    The only thing with Kyle is that he seems to have given that a try lately and he has shown that he just isn't that good at driving into the lane, finding contact and a) making a shot or b) drawing the foul. That type of drive has resulted in a pretty high turnover frequency and/or really tough, off-balance, odd-angle shots, which unsurprisingly, haven't been particularly effective. There are other aspects to his offensive game that are much more effective.

Nothing is wrong with Miles that hasn't always been wrong with Miles. Stone hands, no consistent offensive game beyond dunks, low basketball IQ. But it appears to me that he's been particularly deep in the doghouse since his missed attempt at a highlight reel dunk in the late stages of the Maryland game when a simple two-handed offensive rebound and kickout would have been the correct play. He's only played 10 minutes the last two games combined. It wasn't just Virginia going with a small lineup. FSU plays a bunch of big, athletic forwards, and Miles was nowhere to be seen in that game either.

What's up with Miles?

He only got around 4 minutes yesterday and I thought looked pretty good. Is he hurt? Sick? Or just in the doghouse?

Mason not engaged?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I was at yesterday's game and seated with the Crazies, which was terrific (but that is a different topic); I could not see the action too well, surrounded by taller, younger guys and all of us standing -- and cheering -- for the entire game. However, I will offer an "impression" based on my less-than-ideal field-of-view. Both Plumlees seemed to me to be not fully engaged -- especially during the first-half -- with too many "mental lapses." I respectfully suggest that could easily be the cause of immediate doghouse consignment (particularly, multiple occurrences). Mason's second half performance seemed FAR more focused, alert, forward-thinking and successful.

Please understand that I have not yet really thought this trough thoroughly or reviewed yesterday's statistics -- I am offering ONLY an initial, visceral impression.
    FYI -- Mason had 8 (EIGHT) rebounds in the first 4 minutes of the game. Please explain how he was not engaged?

There's an over diagnosed ailment of children when they have trouble staying focused or "in the zone'. Games only take an hour to play so maybe some five hour drink might help. Just kidding. Hope he starts plying like he's capable of playing because we need him.