Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting lineup ideas for Duke-UVA Saturday

One way coaches sometimes shake up their teams (especially when they are in need of an energy boost) is to be a little unconventional with their starting lineups. K doesn't do a lot of this, but UVA would be a great opportunity to do so.

My suggestion for Saturday:

Miles
    Josh
    Kyle
    Nolan
    Tyler

Does anyone have additional ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    One way coaches sometimes shake up their teams (especially when they are in need of an energy boost) is to be a little unconventional with their starting lineups. K doesn't do a lot of this, but UVA would be a great opportunity to do so.

Miles
    Josh
    Kyle
    Nolan
    Tyler

If you want to shake things up, I can't disagree with your line-up.
    I would be very curious to what Tyler can do, if he is given more minutes.
    I also would be curious about Josh. He's a good "4" with legitimate post moves. The question is whether or not he can defend ACC bigs.
    Also, you might start Mason instead of Miles. His rebounding has been great, and his current defensive struggles are not worse than Miles or Ryan.

We're starting two freshman now because we lost 1 game? Anyone remember people begging for Nolan to start over Paulus at the point...or for the Plumlees to start over LT and Z?

Tyler played a great 12 minutes the other day. For the few minutes we've seen him before that he's looked a LOT like a freshman who wasn't ready for big minutes.

I like Tyler and Josh a lot and think they have good futures at Duke...i can't see them bringing more then Seth, Andre, Kelly, Mason, Miles for 20 minutes a night and if anything we'd have less offense other then Nolan and Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    We're starting two freshman now because we lost 1 game? Anyone remember people begging for Nolan to start over Paulus at the point...or for the Plumlees to start over LT and Z?

Tyler played a great 12 minutes the other day. For the few minutes we've seen him before that he's looked a LOT like a freshman who wasn't ready for big minutes.

I like Tyler and Josh a lot and think they have good futures at Duke...i can't see them bringing more then Seth, Andre, Kelly, Mason, Miles for 20 minutes a night and if anything we'd have less offense other then Nolan and Kyle.
    I agree, one loss to one of the top defensive teams in the country should not cause us to jump ship.

I think the following would be good starting lineups:

Miles, Ryan, Kyle, Andre, Nolan
    Miles, Ryan, Kyle, Seth, Nolan

with Mason being first off the bench followed by either Seth/Andre. I'd bring Josh off the bench if we get in foul trouble with MP1+2 and Ryan and I'd bring in Tyler if we need a change of pace or to shut down a perimeter guy.

Sound familiar? We are 15-1, 25-1 over our last 26.

Talking Some Ideas

Miles
    Josh
    Kyle
    Nolan
    Tyler

FSU was a disappointment but not IMHO a disaster in performance or effort by the Duke team. Others may disagree, but FSU played with unexpected efficiency on offense and intensity of defense for the full 40 minutes.

UVa has a young team coming to Cameron, with all the consequent nerves in play and where Duke has a significant size advantage.

I might start a smaller lineup with Mason, Kyle, Andre, Nolan, and Seth. Then bring Tyler and Ryan in after 4 mins. for Andre and Seth, unless one of the two is en fuego. In that case, I might stay small.

I would keep big brother Miles cooling his heels until the 8:00 mark of the first half and then see what kind of energy and performance we get. We need Miles as a tiger inside who doesn't foul nearly as much. I would definitely give Josh some minutes, but depending on the situation.

sagegrouse

My solution

I think we should start the backup quarterback, whoever that is.

Seriously, folks, I don't have any idea what Coach K should do, and I don't think any of us do either. But I bet Coach K has some pretty good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think we should start the backup quarterback, whoever that is.
    How many cinder-blocks-tall is he?

To the OP -- it is true that the players who practice the best usually start. I have no doubt that this is particularly true after last night. It was not the end of the world but it was a wake-up call. As K often says after these losses, "now I have their attention."

Using Random.org, I generated a random lineup, as this is just 'starting lineup ideas' i figured randomming it might be worht a shot

Todd Zafirovski
    Kyle Singler
    Kyrie Irving
    Andre Dawkins
    Seth Curry

and if Kyrie can't go, then

Miles Plumlee
    1200. DDMF.

We should follow the wisdom of well-respected big man coach Bill Guthridge:

Seth Curry
    Andre Dawkins
    Josh Hairston
    Ryan Kelly
    Mason Plumlee

Wojo
    Collins
    Nolan
    Kyle
    Nate-Dogg.

I dare someone to tell Nate he can't play. Double dawg dare 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    We should follow the wisdom of well-respected big man coach Bill Guthridge:

Seth Curry
    Andre Dawkins
    Josh Hairston
    Ryan Kelly
    Mason Plumlee
    Gut used to start six guys -
    Shammond
    Antawn
    Vince
    Ademola
    Cota
    Mahktar

Beat that.

K may shake things up. But I'll "boldly" make a statement.

There is basically no chance Miles starts against UVA. ZERO. Miles' play in games has dropped each of the last few games, with his play in the 2nd half being limited entirely to being part of the 2nd half starting lineup and then being taken out quickly for the entire game.

But Against FSU, K did something different. Miles started the game...but DIDNT EVEN START in the 2nd half. He was in for a short 2 minute stretch, but after that, whenever Mason was out, Kelly played Center, not Miles.

Miles is in the doghouse. He will not start.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

The starters will almost certainly depend on who plays the best in the practices on Thursday and Friday, which I'm willing to bet will be extra intense following the loss. I don't think anyone will be benched based on their performance in the FSU game; rather, playing time Saturday will be based on how well each player responds to it. That's, at least, how Coach K has traditionally done things.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Miles is in the doghouse. He will not start.
    Wait, I thought it was Mason who was in the doghouse?

Or was it Seth?

How big is that doghouse, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Wait, I thought it was Mason who was in the doghouse?

Or was it Seth?

How big is that doghouse, anyway?
    Must be a kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Must be a kennel.
    You forgot Kyrie. He's definitely in the dog house - hasn't played in 8 games.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My choice

Miles
    Josh
    Kyle
    Nolan
    Tyler

Coach K bases the starting team on how the players have been doing in practice, recent game experience and matchups with the opposing team.

My choice of starters against Virginia, not knowing how practice has been going, is Mason, Kyle, Nolan, Andre and Tyler. I would like to keep 3 scorers in the game while relieving Nolan of the primary point responsbillity. Nolan is maybe the best off the ball guard in the country so I prefer him in that role.

I think a secondary lineup could easily be Ryan with one of the Plumlees, Kyle, Nolan and Seth. Again, 3 scorers in the game and Seth taking the primary ball handling responsibility. The problem with this is that Seth is really more like Nolan with the ball, adequate but not a real point.

I would play Josh off the bench. He at times has looked a little inexperienced on the defensive side. I say that while at the same time wondering if he might have been a little better at defending Kitchen of FSU due to his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I disagree. I think Tyler has played very well, freshman or no freshman. He may not be flashy, but he makes very few mistakes. Good defender and he picks his offense very carefully. In fact I think Tyler should be playing much more. He's not Kyrie I understand that, but he has made several nice assist in his limited time.

I think Tyler should play more because of what he does for the others. Having Tyler in gives you a point guard who can get the ball to the bigs in scoring position (I've seen him do it already). In addition you move Nolan to a position where he can score more as well. Granted Nolan hasn't been bad at scoring while playing point, but it's a 2 for 1 in that situation. And that's what we're looking for right now, scoring diversity.

I'm not saying we do this just because we lost, I've been advocating it for a while. I was disappointed he wasn't playing more early in the season, but understood with Kryie was hard to get him in the game. Was disappointed when Kyrie went out and K still didn't feel confident with Tyler playing more. Not saying he should have, just saying I was disappointed he didn't feel he was ready to. I'd like to think that perhaps now he might show something that would give him that chance.

Um, sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I would play Josh off the bench. He at times has looked a little inexperienced on the defensive side. I say that while at the same time wondering if he might have been a little better at defending Kitchen of FSU due to his size.
    a guy named Lance who was great in defending smaller perimeter players. Guess we under appreciated him didn't we? And I said we. Go Duke!