Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Me too. As their big men manhandled us, I kept yelling at Dickie V to shutup about [misc anecdote] and tell me what the heck happened to MP1. Came here specifically to find out...but sounds like DBR doesn't know either. Must've ruffled some feathers in practice.

PS: I don't think he started. IIRC it was Kyle-Nolan-Dre-Seth-Kelly.
    Miles did start. Dre did not

The only reason we are all really depressed here is b/c some of us believed the team would go undefeated. We can still win the title. Remember this team right now is better than the team we had last year that won the title.

Look at the good side, Duke played awful and still almost won a road ACC game. I know the conference is down but if you can play that crappy and still almost win you have a lot of talent and are a very good team. I think the club will rebound. I wouldn't want to be UVA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I have not seen the boxscore but I would say that Mason and Kyle had the majority of our boards. Go Duke!
    Kyle had 8.
    Mason had 14!

i didnt even bother to look at the final score so i see it here and you can imagine my surprise when i saw it was only a 5 point loss..i figured it was much worse

Wow, there's a lot of prospective Chicken Little's who've popped up on here....one loss is NOT the end of this season. Geez. We were outplayed, had several shots just miss, and they had some drop. Anything that happened on the rim, rest assured, was dropping for them and missing for us. That's part of the game. We need the Plumlees and Ryan to step up and give some kind of post presence on BOTH ends of the floor and need to make smarter decisions with the ball. As well as Kyle played in the 2nd half, that last 30 foot three he took was truly unnecessary to take. To paraphrase what was said earlier, I'd hate to be Virginia Saturday. NEXT.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the little things he doesn't do or does wrong (tries to block shots he shouldn't rather than boxing out, slow on defensive rotations, almost never boxes out and just tries to outjump everybody, etc...)

Low IQ mistakes tend to upset people a lot more than other mistakes. It also becomes even more frustrating because of the flashes of brilliance exhibited.
    14 boards... he must have boxed someone out. I think his D is on par with the rest of the team's though he did get schooled on that up and under by Shannon. Many times his man scores because he's had to rotate to stop a drive.

Recipe For Success

Assuming Kyrie is done for the year (which I hope and believe is not the case), these are the things we need to do in order to make the Final Four this year, IMO.
    1. Move the ball better Nolan needs to look to distribute more, especially when we drives. He's a great scorer and player, but at times he puts his head down to drive and seems dead set on shooting the ball, no matter who else comes open.It seems that since Kyrie's injury, we have not been making the "extra pass."
    2. Run more curl screens for shooters It seemed to me that most of our screens tonight were at the top of the key. I'd like to see more screens set in the key, setting up Kyle, Dre, and Seth to use the screener to get open for corner threes.
    3. Run more plays for the Plumlees I know they haven't played well offensively and blah, blah, blah. However, when was the last time we've seen a designed oop? Btw, was it just me, or did Mason play pretty well defensively tonight?
    4. Diversify the offense I don't think Nolan and Kyle are good enough to carry this team alone. I do think they should dominate the ball slightly less, giving other players a chance to score and create. I liked, for example, what I saw from seth off the dribble tonight.

That said, we're still a very good team! Lighten up, y'all! IMO, we are the #3 team in the country, behind Kansas and OSU. Syracuse is #4.

The next two practices will be the most intense of the season.

If I were K, although he'll never do it, I would "think" about starting Tyler and/or Josh on Saturday. Just to send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    Because that's what K does in games like this.

Why does this still get questioned?
    I don't think it is fair to say this is what K does in games like this. I don't think he generally freezes out his starting post player for the vast majority of the 2nd half. I get it that he typically shortens the bench in tight games, but usually not to that extent with a starter. I think the question of why Miles saw basically no time is a valid one.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    The next two practices will be the most intense of the season.

If I were K, although he'll never do it, I would "think" about starting Tyler and/or Josh on Saturday. Just to send a message.
    I'd also consider playing Kyle more at the 4 too. This team could use some help down low on the offensive side. My lineup would be: Smith-Dawkins-Curry-Kyle-Miles.

Box Score

tells me alot as to our poor play and I'm not calling anyone out, but Curry and Dre had probably their worse game at the same time. Curry 32 mins and Dre 29 mins but they combined for 2-14 on three pointers. They had 0 assists and 4 tos. Can't be too negative about Mason's play. He had 14 rebounds and did not receive the ball in the low post all night. He set screens as he was supposed to do. However he did miss two layups that were costly. Kyle and Nolan played well, but had 8 tos between them. Next Play! Go Duke!

I'm not waving a white flag at this point in the season, heck, it was just one game. The
    players will remember this loss and how it felt. There is much basketball left to be played.
    Duke takes everybody best shot. Yes, FSU won and it was their national championship game
    but they will return to being less than stellar tomorrow while Duke will improve.

Man someone must have pissed in your corn flakes this morning...did your dog run away? Every post I have seen from you tonight has been negative with plenty of them taking shots at K and his coaching...do you think he's become the second winningest coach by accident. Sorry to call you out, but your comments seem off from my POV. We lost, FSU won, and as others have said the sun will come up tomorrow.

Now I really do hope someone has some insight on why Plumlee played so little especially when we needed some kind of spark on the inside.
    Last edited by HateCarolina; 01-13-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Fixing sentence structure

My quick thoughts:

Defense: We need to defend the post better. Mental lapses by several of the guys hurt us.

Offense: We need to get the ball in the paint. We can't just pass the ball around the perimeter. The ball needs to go into the post with a pass or dribble penetration. The bigs don't need to score a lot, but they must be involved in the offense.

Where I would really like to see them improve on offense is setting screens. Most of their screens are poor, and they make no contact with the person they are supposed to be screening. Mason's best screen resulted in a Nolan 3 towards the end of the game. Unfortunately most of his screens are more of a show. All of the bigs need to watch "tape" of Zoubs setting screens last year. He was awesome at it. I can't help but wonder if we would have gotten a few better looks with some better screens.

Intensity: We came out with no fire. FSU did. Coach K said in the post-game presser that we showed up to play but not to fight. FSU showed up to fight. We have to start the game at a high level not wait for the last 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by omahadukefan View Post
    I don't think it is fair to say this is what K does in games like this. I don't think he generally freezes out his starting post player for the vast majority of the 2nd half. I get it that he typically shortens the bench in tight games, but usually not to that extent with a starter. I think the question of why Miles saw basically no time is a valid one.
    Miles saw no time because in the 6 minutes he did play, he played terribly and made some poor decisions. He missed defensive assignments and couldn't rebound the ball. Coach K takes it on a game by game basis and plays the players he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. In his assessment, Miles wasn't going to do that tonight, so he went with other guys. (I'm not saying Miles is a terrible player, just that he didn't have it tonight.)

Question of toughness

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Miles saw no time because in the 6 minutes he did play, he played terribly and made some poor decisions. Coach K takes it on a game by game basis and plays the players he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. In his assessment, Miles wasn't going to do that tonight, so he went with other guys. (I'm not saying Miles is a terrible player, just that he didn't have it tonight.)
    I think Coach K didn't like the way Miles was playing defense and rebounding at the beginning of the game. But only Coach K knows for sure why Miles did not play very much. It could be that he was banking on our guards making a good percentage of their three pointers. Miles is our best bet to make a basket near the goal. Mason is too timid at this point in his career. Go Duke!

2011 = 2009

I'm basing the years in the subject title on when the national tourney is...

I've seen the 06/11 comparisons: disagree. In 06 we had a guy to dominate the paint. And I'd take this years team, saying that....

I think this years team is very similar to the 2009 edition Blue Devils. Zero production inside and a team that lives and dies by the jumpshot with no true point guard. I am not over reacting after one loss, this team is going to get better and has much to learn (aside from Kyle and Nolan, a lot of inexperience). But I'm also a realist and without Kyrie, this team will be very hard pressed to make it to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    My quick thoughts:

Defense: We need to defend the post better. Mental lapses by several of the guys hurt us.
    I would venture to guess that 90% of FSU's shots in the 2nd half were 10ft in.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

sort of - but usually it's 7 guys or so. thus my question

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I would venture to guess that 90% of FSU's shots in the 2nd half were 10ft in.
    true but i think the turning point was after Dawkins made the 3 foul shots to tie it up FSU made some lucky 3 where it hit the front of the rim then went straight up in the air and through the basket.