Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Difference between Duke. Kansas and OSU

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I wouldn't argue with any of this. My point was that Kansas and Ohio State are currently experiencing similar struggles to our own. Even without Kyrie, if we played either of them 10 times my guess is we'd win 4 to 6 times. If we play them once? I have no idea what would happen.

Put another way, I don't know if Duke is "the team to beat," but I don't know that Kansas or Ohio State is, either. And there's certainly not anybody else I'd put into the conversation. Just because we're not comfortable that we'd beat a team in a one-game format doesn't mean they're "on another level."
    One big difference (no pun intended) is that Kansas has the Morris brothers who would eat us alive inside while OSU has Sullinger.

So much can and will happen between now and the end of the season for all teams...injuries, players stepping up, others going into slumps, adjustments in rotations...

Since I have been following college basketball in the mid-80s, Coach K has been one of if not the best coach in the country at adjusting his teams. With or without Kyrie, he will make the necessary adjustments to make us as competitive as possible night in and night out. The effort/desire from our coaches and players is also going to be there every game. We have a classy program that wins a ton. As fans, what more can we ask for?

Winning another National Title will not be easy with or without Kyrie (fully healthy or not), but I'll take our squad and coach over any other. There is no perfect, unbeatable team out there and there is always a team like Northern Iowa that puts it all together one night. Can't wait to see our guys continue to develop. It's going to be exciting.

Interesting article

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    I keep hearing that Duke just didn't make 3's, and we are doomed to lose when that happens. What I saw was very well contested 3's, many taken with no other option. We didn't shoot poorly -- it was just that their D was better than our O.

We will continue to make good 3's that are taken in the context of our offense, and we will struggle when the defense forces us to take difficult 3's. And the coaching staff will improve our offensive spacing and inside-out dynamics to help this improve.

How many teams are we going to meet who can defend us like FSU did? maybe 7-10 in the whole country? And that's ignoring Kyrie of the nine toes.
    Well, here is another angle. Another question has come up. If they were contesting the 3 so well why did they continue attempting them? Someone said to me that Coach K should have concentrated on getting it inside more. My response was that FSU was playing good defense everywhere, period! But I have to say, I think that Coach K doesn't have much confidence in his teams inside guys. I have to agree. The Plumlees are good defensively. They hog the underneath pretty well and are a shot block presence but offensively they seem to miss some easy shots and really have not got that dependable shot that big men need to develop. If Duke had that inside scoring threat, wow, they would be more of a monster team than they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueHeart4 View Post
    I say that we just move on and focus on the game tomorrow, about which I have two words to say for the cursed souls who meet us after such a stunning defeat:

Poor Virginia.
    At one point I thought, ok, is Virginia going to pull this off? Poor Virginia played them tough for awhile. Being at Cameron gives Duke 10 points a game so I knew they would probably win the game but for a minute there it was up in the air. But only for a minute

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    So much can and will happen between now and the end of the season for all teams...injuries, players stepping up, others going into slumps, adjustments in rotations...

Since I have been following college basketball in the mid-80s, Coach K has been one of if not the best coach in the country at adjusting his teams. With or without Kyrie, he will make the necessary adjustments to make us as competitive as possible night in and night out. The effort/desire from our coaches and players is also going to be there every game. We have a classy program that wins a ton. As fans, what more can we ask for?

Winning another National Title will not be easy with or without Kyrie (fully healthy or not), but I'll take our squad and coach over any other. There is no perfect, unbeatable team out there and there is always a team like Northern Iowa that puts it all together one night. Can't wait to see our guys continue to develop. It's going to be exciting.
    ....and I am happy to say I picked Northern Iowa in that game last year. Your post is right on the money. It would not be easy for Duke to repeat, with or without Kyrie. Every team is going to play Duke tough, giving probably their best effort of the season. With Irving I feel confident they are a good bet for the Final Four. It would be a challenge though because, like I said, everyone will put forth their best to defeat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4UNC View Post
    Well, here is another angle. Another question has come up. If they were contesting the 3 so well why did they continue attempting them? Someone said to me that Coach K should have concentrated on getting it inside more. My response was that FSU was playing good defense everywhere, period! But I have to say, I think that Coach K doesn't have much confidence in his teams inside guys. I have to agree. The Plumlees are good defensively. They hog the underneath pretty well and are a shot block presence but offensively they seem to miss some easy shots and really have not got that dependable shot that big men need to develop. If Duke had that inside scoring threat, wow, they would be more of a monster team than they already are.
    At one point I thought, ok, is Virginia going to pull this off? Poor Virginia played them tough for awhile. Being at Cameron gives Duke 10 points a game so I knew they would probably win the game but for a minute there it was up in the air. But only for a minute
    ....and I am happy to say I picked Northern Iowa in that game last year. Your post is right on the money. It would not be easy for Duke to repeat, with or without Kyrie. Every team is going to play Duke tough, giving probably their best effort of the season. With Irving I feel confident they are a good bet for the Final Four. It would be a challenge though because, like I said, everyone will put forth their best to defeat them.
    These are very interesting observations coming from an obvious visitor to DBR (who I seem to remember from years past) of the lighter blue persuasion and I have enjoyed reading them. Keep reading/posting and sharing your thoughts.