Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BCS Championship game

I don't care who wins, but those unis Oregon is wearing are horrible. It's like two dozen penalty flags on the field.

At least you can see it. ESPN is the only channel in the Cary (Raleigh? Triangle?) area that is unavailable. Tech support says it'll be 2-3 hours before they can fix it. Arrggggh.

Didn't Phil Nite personally pick them out?

Also, Oregon's helmets create horrible moire patterns on my teevee. I am watching on a tube teevee that receives and displays HD signals. Yes, they made these for a couple years.

Ted Roof's defense is playing hard early, but looks to be wearing down as the game goes on. Didn't see that coming.

early observations:

1) the "first to 60" predictions look wrong.

2) I had no dog in this game, but Oregon's uniforms make me want Auburn to win 320 to nothing.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    early observations:

1) the "first to 60" predictions look wrong.

2) I had no dog in this game, but Oregon's uniforms make me want Auburn to win 320 to nothing.
    Ouch. Missing the completely open receiver. Perhaps the $200K is weighing down the old throwing shoulder, eh, Cam?

And as I type that... SAFETY!

Man... these offenses are awesome.

Nice TD pass by Newton, and I think he'll be a good pro quarterback, but I'm not seeing enough to make me want the Tabbies...er...Panthers to take him with the number 1 pick. Fairley or Bowers, Fairley or Bowers, Fairley or Bowers...

Looks like the $180,000 was a bargin.

oregon's unis are legit..i hope they can come back from 5 down and capture this title from $cam Newton..QUACK QUACK..if you are looking for incentive to root for oregon just think EJ goes there

also..oregon will be a great team again next year..auburn won't be a big deal until they find another player worth...one hundred eighty thousand dollars!! (Dr. Evil pinky move)

All I knew about Oregon coming in was the following-
    1. Stud RB.
    2. They try to get off an offensive play every 15 seconds.
    3. Undefeated.

My reaction after the first half -
    1. Stud RB is under-sized but quick.
    2. Auburn got plays off faster than Oregon.
    3. Oregon is like a more talented Boise.

Granted I'm no college football fanatic, but Oregon just strikes me as an odd team. Lots of team speed and they are aggressive to boot. But if Auburn sticks to running the ball and controlling the clock, they'll wear out the smaller Ducks.

Oregon has been ridiculously aggressive with their play calls. Trick 2 point conversion where the kicker dished is off in the second quarter to go up with 4 - successful. Fake punt attempt on their own 40 in the 3rd quarter - kicker had a 7 yard completion. Going for it on 4th and 1 a couple times and failing. It's been entertaining for sure, but it seems like Oregon just hasn't gotten over that hump. Down 8 and need that TD on 4th and 1 from the 1, and couldn't get it. I hope they pull it out...Auburn's D actually looks really good. Oregon's no huddle offense has caught them off guard a couple times (including getting a late substitution penalty) but overall Auburn has been prepared for it and Fairley (or whatever his name is) is a complete beast and the best player on the field, in my uneducated football prospect analyzer opinion.

So at the end of the day, it looks like Cecil Newton was able to sell a championship for a few hundred thousand, but Phil Knight's millions weren't enough to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    So at the end of the day, it looks like Cecil Newton was able to sell a championship for a few hundred thousand, but Phil Knight's millions weren't enough to buy one.
    Sounds like a market failure to me. Cecil should have held out for seven figures.

I HATE the Ducks uniforms but I HATE Newton and his $200K to play more. The NCAA REALLY screwed the pooch with that ruling.

Well, Auburn won on a last second 19 yard FG. Too bad. Oregon showed a lot of heart and had some nice trick plays up their sleeves, but the D line of Auburn just abused them all game long. The Oregon QB would have 3 seconds to throw it if he was lucky all game long and there were a couple goaline stops. And, of course, the ridiculous run that Auburn had when it looked like he was down and stopped running, until the sidelines told him to continue to run...he just was extremely lucky he was completely on top of his tackler when he got tackled so his knee never hit the ground. That half an inch was possibly the difference in the game. Great great game to watch at least. Quite entertaining.

First national championship for Auburn since 1957.

Congrats to Auburn.

Bizarre that the Auburn coach pretty much dodged every single opportunity to say something/anything about their worthy opponent, Oregon. Weird to see that these days.

contemp design

I think Oregon's uniforms are more contemporary and urban style compared to Auburn's old school conservative uniforms. These colors and patterns are vogue. Consider this - If Duke is playing for BCS Football championship for the first time ever and Nike gets us striking new uniforms to go with the game, what would you feel?

Ted Roof = National Champion
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa