Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else find the shirt peddlers outside Cameron appalling last night?

As I was leaving Cameron several men were yelling out trying to sell shirts that said "I Bleed Blue" on the front and on the back it said something like "If you don't then take your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home". Not only that but they were yelling the quote at the top of their lungs. I know some don't care but if I had a child I would have been greatly upset for them to have to hear that. Heck, I don't want to have to hear that as I'm walking through campus. Why does Duke allow these people to stand on campus anyway selling their homemade stuff anyway?

As for someone who has not been to Cameron, yet, I would think that the Duke students who attended this game would have stormed these idiots and taken their sales pitch out of the picture. Not advocating violence but surround them and force them, with intimidation, to take there sales off campus.

It is not the picture I have of Duke and it is one that can mare a campus real quick and easy. Duke is much much better than that. Your reputation is on line here boys, do something about it.

Sales pitch putside Cameron

I am lucky enough to attend home games and I had never seen these guys outside before last night. They were there before and after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    As for someone who has not been to Cameron, yet, I would think that the Duke students who attended this game would have stormed these idiots and taken their sales pitch out of the picture. Not advocating violence but surround them and force them, with intimidation, to take there sales off campus.

It is not the picture I have of Duke and it is one that can mare a campus real quick and easy. Duke is much much better than that. Your reputation is on line here boys, do something about it.
    I don't think that would be terribly helpful, both because it would escalate a situation, and because the guys I saw were not near the students.

I think most people just ignored them. Leave them with a bunch of unsold shirts.

-jk

Yeah, this was the first time I've seen these guys outside Cameron as well. Pretty loud and obnoxious, but I agree that ignoring them and leaving them with a bunch of unsold t-shirts is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gugafan2005 View Post
    Yeah, this was the first time I've seen these guys outside Cameron as well. Pretty loud and obnoxious, but I agree that ignoring them and leaving them with a bunch of unsold t-shirts is the way to go.
    I fully expect that the Administration will put the kibosh on this activity - quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    As I was leaving Cameron several men were yelling out trying to sell shirts that said "I Bleed Blue" on the front and on the back it said something like "If you don't then take your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home". Not only that but they were yelling the quote at the top of their lungs. I know some don't care but if I had a child I would have been greatly upset for them to have to hear that. Heck, I don't want to have to hear that as I'm walking through campus. Why does Duke allow these people to stand on campus anyway selling their homemade stuff anyway?
    Was it licensed merchandise? Must have been or the University would have shooed them away in short order. I'm surprised they didn't.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I believe Duke has lawyers for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I believe Duke has lawyers for this sort of thing.
    They sure do and they are conveniently located just off Ninth & Main.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Was it licensed merchandise? Must have been or the University would have shooed them away in short order. I'm surprised they didn't.
    I don't think those particular shirts need to be licensed. They said nothing about Duke, Blue Devils, or use any of Duke's graphics. Simply "I bleed blue" on the front (in an ugly font) and "If you don't then take your b**** a** home" (another ugly font) on a royal blue shirt. Nothing to license. But, the University must not have been aware of their presence. It's private property, so Duke can get rid of them for soliciting. If anyone complained to Duke, it must not have trickled its way to the right people to remove the guys.

My kids that postponed going back to their respective campuses until after this game, my mom, and I found the shirts very offensive. Worse, the dudes selling them were very aggressive, yelling the phrase repeatedly as they approached people walking into the game. Still worse, one of the dudes singled out my mom, called to her saying, "Hey cutie, you'd look really great in one of these," and smiled and winked at her. REALLY? A woman in her 70's would wear THAT?!

T-shirt peddlers seem to come out only for the Duke and Carolina games. The shirts are usually cheesy and cheap, but not offensive like these. I hope they went home with every shirt they came with.

I don't even "get" the phrase. It sounds utterly lame and pointless. Am I that old already? (get off my quad! /shakes cane)

This comes from someone who actually likes the notorious football chant -- you know, the one that might be generously paraphrased as "D-U-K-E, who did you come to see?".

Profanity is not always appropriate, of course. But lameness is utterly unforgivable. If they get harassed off campus, good riddance.

The shirt seems to be completly ridiculous with a stupid sounding slogan on it...maybe they should head down to Myrtle Beach and sell them off to Wings. etc. Reminds me of some of the offensive t-shirts they sold down there when I was growing up and went there for vacation.

They should take 'em to Kentucky where they'd sell.

Sounds like a Grateful Dead show. Was anyone selling veggie burritos out of the back of the VW? I've occasionally seen cool shirts in parking lots. Actually the Jackie Manuel/Andre the Giant one from Unc fans is a good one. But most are junk.

First time I have ever seen something like that outside of Cameron...it was pretty odd in fact. Yeah, with the slogan they went with I don't think they were going to get too many Duke fans to buy the shirt, and being loud and aggressive in their tactics makes just about anyone other than a teenager on spring break at Myrtle Beach want to run in the other direction.

I looked closely and I don't think there was anything 'Duke' or 'Devils' on the shirt so nothing to liscense, but obviously the Admin would not want them there. FWIW I didn't see a single person buy one...they were sophomoric and pretty ugly (whoever said Wings/Waves quality was right on) and I just don't see how somebody could have come up with that sloan and said to themself "we should print shirts with that, they will sell like hotcakes."

I doubt we will see them again.

"Hey cutie, you'd look really great in one of these," and smiled and winked at her. REALLY? A woman in her 70's would wear THAT?!
    This imagery is unbelievable funny and all I could think was "Where's the Beef?"

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    "we should print shirts with that, they will sell like hotcakes."
    Seriously funny thread here...

The economy is bad...

Hi,

I was not at the game, but have seen a lot of unlicensed shirts for sale around San Francisco when the Giants were in the playoffs and won the World Series.

I don't think what is written on the shirts in question particularly appealing. If it isn't to others either then the peddlers will find something else to write on the shirts. If it is appealing, then they will sell. Without getting into trademark issues, I tend to give these guys and gals the benefit of the doubt particularly with the economy the way it is right now.

I rather see someone trying to make a buck this way than selling illicit drugs in a back alley somewhere (on the quad?). Though legally it probably isn't kosher I can at least understand someone trying to find revenue and then asking for forgiveness if it wasn't entirely legal.

GO DUKE!

Really?

Did you read the other posts?

I'm not sure I think a bad economy gives someone license to yell profanity on private property. There is a big difference between trying to sell merchandise and aggressively yelling profanities at bypassers.

A week ago I had the chance to take my 11 year old to his first game at CIS. I'm glad no one was yelling take your b***h**s home as we walked by. I don't think a bad economy gives someone the right to impinge on my enjoyable evening outwith my children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I tend to give these guys and gals the benefit of the doubt particularly with the economy the way it is right now.

I rather see someone trying to make a buck this way than selling illicit drugs in a back alley somewhere (on the quad?). Though legally it probably isn't kosher I can at least understand someone trying to find revenue and then asking for forgiveness if it wasn't entirely legal.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Did you read the other posts?

I'm not sure I think a bad economy gives someone license to yell profanity on private property. There is a big difference between trying to sell merchandise and aggressively yelling profanities at bypassers.

A week ago I had the chance to take my 11 year old to his first game at CIS. I'm glad no one was yelling take your b***h**s home as we walked by. I don't think a bad economy gives someone the right to impinge on my enjoyable evening outwith my children.
    Totally random but this reminds me of my undergrad days at Virginia Beach and in the Hampton Roads area. There was this one t-shirt in particular that had "F the world" on the front and "Don't ask me for ####" on the back that was literally getting people LOCKED UP!!!

So hey guys - just tell campus police if something is offensive. Let them take care of it...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Totally random but this reminds me of my undergrad days at Virginia Beach and in the Hampton Roads area. There was this one t-shirt in particular that had "F the world" on the front and "Don't ask me for ####" on the back that was literally getting people LOCKED UP!!!

So hey guys - just tell campus police if something is offensive. Let them take care of it...
    I have a Springternational shirt from when I was at Duke for undergrad, and the shirt says "Bite me" on the front and "...for a taste of the world!" on the back. Even though it's innocent, I don't wear it very much because it seems so brash to the uninformed.