• Seth Curry

13 5.04%
  • Mason Plumlee

0 0%
  • Tyler Thornton

127 49.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Seth Breaks Free

It has to be Seth for me, who has really been striving to find his niche on this team. Much like Dre provided for us in the first half of the ACC championship game last March and again against Baylor in the South Regional final, Seth's instant offense off the bench last night infused a renewed energy in our team and curbed a furious Maryland push. Frankly, it stopped us from getting blown off our own floor.

With 19 minutes to play in the first half, we trailed 38 to 32 and couldn't have bargained for a shot if we were in front of the cask tending the bar. Seth then scores nine of our next 14 points, the last three resulting from a tough triple deep in the corner, and without warning Terrapin fans -- and I find this particular way of looking at things the most satisfying -- find themselves trailing 44 to 40. Their lead gone as quickly as a small Kansas town sucked up by a twister in the dead of night. I find that overly satisfying (not the small village of Kansans dying in a whirlwind).

If not for Seth's microwaveable points off the pew yesterday evening in the basketball cathedral that is Cameron Indoor, there's a reasonable chance we fall down double digits in the second half and find ourselves in a very hellish situation.

wish I had a vote for each half...

1st half: Kyle, for not letting it get out of hand. With 1/10 3P'ers, we otherwise could have been in a deep hole.

2nd half: Tyler for apparently being the only one paying attention to Coach K's locker room paint peeling demonstration.

Tiebreaker: FT %

Nolan had to contend with a defense focused on taking away what he has been doing in recent games while playing point. Kyle has been the focus of other teams defenses all season, and other players including Kyrie, Nolan, Andre and Mason have benefited. Against Maryland's defensive scheme, Coach K finally had to change what Duke had been doing with Nolan running the offense and bring in Tyler. Maryland's defense didn't have an answer and Tyler did a great job getting the ball to Curry who was being left open. And Curry made them pay. Great team effort for the win! Makes me appreciate how consistently great Singler plays even when opposing teams are focused on trying to stop him. 25 points and 10 rebounds is a great effort in any game, against this defense it was outstanding.

The team really clicked with TT on the floor. I hope we can find a way to implement him on a regular basis as he strikes me as a player that will become more effective with experience.

With 218 votes cast so far, it is 103 for Tyler and 102 for Kyle... amazingly close!

Seth has only 12 votes so far, which disgusts me considering he led us in scoring in the second half of the game and his offense sparked the 2nd half comeback that turned Mayland's 6 point lead into a Duke lead we never relinquished.

-Jason "one has to wonder how many chances Tyler will get to win this award this year-- so I am rooting for him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Great stats

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    4 steals and 2 charges = 6 more possessions in crucial game time.

plus that sweet bucket in the lane!
    Its pretty hard to say that Kyle wasnt the man in this game. His 3 at the end of the game was the final nail, his tip in at half was momentum and that drive which was finished with a left handed layup at the 4 minute mark made me jump out of my seat in excitement!! He is sooo clutch. Noone can deny that...however, those stats that you mentioned above could NOT have come at more important times in this game. His steal that was jump balled and we got the posession, his charge he took from Williams, and the other steal at the 3pt line...These were such critical plays in this game. All were with Maryland really turning the tide. He brought our team energy up about 10 notches and got that place rockin! Anyone know how much we scored off of his forced turnovers?? Id be curious to know. Thats 6 posessions that he took from Maryland... He changed the dynamic of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    "one has to wonder how many chances Tyler will get to win this award this year-- so I am rooting for him"
    . . . this year. The flip side (for me, at least) -- Kyle, how many more times will I ever have the chance to vote for him?

I voted for Kyle, but can't quibble with Seth or Tyler as choices. I thought the way Kyle drove to the basket was great -- he operated more like a regular guard than many times I have seen him this year. And we would not have been in the game at all if it were not for his consistent play during the whole game.

Plus, that 23 footer was bold.

Tyler Thorton

I voted for Kyrie's roommate. He did all he was asked to do and did it well. What more can you ask?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Tyler

I voted for Tyler as well, because he did way more than what was expected of him in any ACC game this year. Granted, if Kyrie was playing, Tyler likely would not be getting any minutes, but his focus and intensity when he was sent into a close second half was outstanding, and hopefully earned him more minutes in games to come.

It's also fun to note that Tyler, at least according to his scout.com recruiting page, was not offered by Gary, despite Gonzaga College High School being a little 25 minute drive downtown from the Comcast Center. The knock on Gary's local recruiting gets louder every year. Take that, Sweaty.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705

We were so impressed with Tyler last night. We knew what Kyle, Nolan and Seth were capable of doing but it was so nice to see our young freshman that was given only token minutes perform in crunch time. Go Devils! Go Tyler!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    It's also fun to note that Tyler, at least according to his scout.com recruiting page, was not offered by Gary, despite Gonzaga College High School being a little 25 minute drive downtown from the Comcast Center. The knock on Gary's local recruiting gets louder every year. Take that, Sweaty.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705
    This is likely because Gary never felt he was close enough to landing Tyler to offer him a scholarship. I strongly doubt it is because Gary felt Tyler could not help his program. Tyler may not have been a Mickie Dee, but he was regarded highly enough so that a program like Maryland would have been happy to have him if he was interested in going there.

--Jason "Tyler currently leads Kyle 118-108 in the voting" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Nolan was struggling, trying to force his drives through the intense MD defense - and they were stopping him. he was becoming visibly frustrated. Kyle put the team on his back and played a great game as we have come to expect, but we were still losing. Enter Tyler Thornton. His presence, defensive pressure, and relief of point guard responsibility from Nolan sparked the team. True, he didn't score much, but Nolan did, and Seth did, and Kyle continued to. Tyler was definitely the straw that stirred the drink against MD!

I know this sounds mean, but I am wary of voting for someone only because they may not get the chance again... MOTM is not a feel-good sort of thing, it should reflect brutal honesty and reality!

You old softies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I know this sounds mean, but I am wary of voting for someone only because they may not get the chance again... MOTM is not a feel-good sort of thing, it should reflect brutal honesty and reality!

You old softies.

Not mean at all. I guess I've been looking at voting in MOTM incorrectly. I thought it was for the player that played the best in that particular contest. But some vote because: this player may not get another chance to win, this person came off the bench and had a surprisingly good game and some just vote for their favorite player. Last night Tyler and Curry played their best games in a Duke uniform, but they were not the best player on the court. Kyle Singler was. If Kyle had not played the way he did in the first half, Tyler and Seth's great play would have been in vain. We would have been too far behind. Maybe one day I will figure this MOTM voting thing out. Go Duke!
    Last edited by jv001; 01-10-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMa6N-_gdXM

Why Thorton got my vote. Until he entered game Maryland had control of tempo.

Singler threw up a lot of points but defense wins games IMO>

hope we get better at Free Throws 62% Lucky Maryland was 52%

Thornton- the game changed when he entered. Kyle and Seth hit some big shots but Tyler changed the energy on the court. He had a Zoubek like coming out party. I hope we continue to see more of him. Defense wins games.

I voted for Seth due to being criminally underrated here.

Seth and TT had the best +/-s on the team. This was not an accident. Kyle played pretty good, but it was Seth and TT's presence that swung the game guys.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I voted for Seth due to being criminally underrated here.

Seth and TT had the best +/-s on the team. This was not an accident. Kyle played pretty good, but it was Seth and TT's presence that swung the game guys.
    Singler played VERY well, not just pretty well. And it's easier to play well when you only have to bring it for ~15 minutes as opposed to carrying the team for the full 40.

Curry and Thornton were definitely key in the second half runs, and without their performances we very well may have lost. But Singler brought it for 40 minutes. And without his performance we definitely would have lost. He was the player of the game for me, with a strong honorable mention for both Curry and Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Singler played VERY well, not just pretty well. And it's easier to play well when you only have to bring it for ~15 minutes as opposed to carrying the team for the full 40.

Curry and Thornton were definitely key in the second half runs. But Singler brought it for 40 minutes. He was the player of the game for me, with a strong honorable mention for both Curry and Thornton.
    Eh, when I think about MotM, I think about "What players made the difference." To me, it was TT and Curry, who turned the tide for good. Kyle kept them in it and made the key dagger at the end, but without TT and Curry, I think we lose this one. So they're a step above for me.

But it's a philosophical debate, not one with any actual real answer, so to each their own. No one is wrong, except for the person who picks Josh Hairston today.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est