Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In-Stadium Announcer

We seemed to have a new in-Stadium announcer last night who, in my opinion, was 100 times better than the person who has been doing the announcing since the season began.

Does anyone know who the announcer was last night, whether it was a one-time substitution or possibly a permanent change?

New Guy was so much more spontaneous, at ease, and right on top of things. He didn't need the boring "A (pause) foul (pause) has (pause) been (pause) called (pause) on (pause) Duke (pause) and (pause) on (pause) number (pause) 12 (pause) Kyle (pause) Singler," just good old "foul on Duke's Kyle Singler."

art chase

The announcer was Art Chase, who is Duke's football sports information director.

Unfortunately, I think the replacement was temporary ... not sure what the reason was.

PS Did anybody else notice that while the pep band, the mascot, the dance team and most of the Crazies were back for the Maryland game, the cheerleaders were still missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    the cheerleaders were still missing?
    Uh, the cheerleaders were there in force. In fact, we were commenting on their new footwear -- it made us think at first that they were barefoot. They are wearing some sort of flesh-toned slip-on shoe. Looks like it would break my mom's rule about "good support for your feet."

I believe the new guy, Trip Durham, is coming from Elon. He replaces the long time voice of the Blue Devils' Art Chandler. It isn't an easy gig and while I haven't been to a game at Cameron since he took over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Change is tough and replacing an icon like Chandler is no easy task. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the Duke Football announcer who, at least to me God awful.

Those were the Dancing Devils, not the cheerleaders!

Quote Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
    Uh, the cheerleaders were there in force. In fact, we were commenting on their new footwear -- it made us think at first that they were barefoot. They are wearing some sort of flesh-toned slip-on shoe. Looks like it would break my mom's rule about "good support for your feet."
    I was curious why the cheerleaders were absent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
    Yeah, at first I thought they were cheerleaders too without cheerleader uniforms (more dance troupe uniforms). But you could notice they never went out on the floor to conduct cheers (when coming back from commercial break you often see them running back to the sidelines with large signs). So, at that point, I knew it was the Dancing Devils (more like a dancing troupe), not the cheerleaders. I guess they just took the cheerleaders typical spot and sported pom poms, but didn't actually do any tumbling/leading of the cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    PS Did anybody else notice that while the pep band, the mascot, the dance team and most of the Crazies were back for the Maryland game, the cheerleaders were still missing?
    The pep wasn't all current undergraduates for this game. Recent pep band grads were invited to come back to play and get into the game for free if they could get to Durham since there weren't enough current students to play. And most of the Crazies weren't back either. You can see on the sides that there were a lot of older people in the student section who bought tickets. There are 3-4 mascots, so I guess one came back early...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I believe the new guy, Trip Durham, is coming from Elon. He replaces the long time voice of the Blue Devils' Art Chandler. It isn't an easy gig and while I haven't been to a game at Cameron since he took over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Change is tough and replacing an icon like Chandler is no easy task. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the Duke Football announcer who, at least to me God awful.
    Correct, but Trip is the guy who was absent last night. He had announced all prior games this year, but missed last night for some reason, and Art was doing it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Correct, but Trip is the guy who was absent last night. He had announced all prior games this year, but missed last night for some reason, and Art was doing it instead.
    Did Art Chase do last night's game or Art Chandler.

I got the fact that Durham wasn't at the game last night just stating that I wasn't going to call the guy out just yet as he is replacing a legend.

The announcer last night was remarkable. He even knew our players' names. The cheerleaders looked great and represent Duke on national TV very well for the most part.

Trip was under the weather that is why he wasn't in doing the game. I think he has done a good job so far this year. It is tough replacing someone you've gotten used to hearing for years.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

I got the fact that Durham wasn't at the game last night just stating that I wasn't going to call the guy out just yet as he is replacing a legend.
    It was Art Chase. Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. My bad.

If I am not mistaken, and I could be, he is the football announcer also.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    I was curious why the cheerleaders were absent as well.

My guess is that there weren't enough of them to fill the squad, maybe sorority rush, so they went with the dancing ladies.

It was an interesting change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Recent pep band grads were invited to come back to play...
    I was wondering why there was a 5o year-old man laying on the ground while the Devil did his surf board routine. I was seriously kind of worried about the guy though, he looked a little slow in getting up 8-)

I'm not a fan of the piped in theatrics that they've brought in. Still way less than at other arenas, but not too long ago Cameron was totally devoid of the blaring music, video intros, and electronic advertisements. I guess you have to pay the bills somehow.

On the other hand, the halftime jump rope group was phenomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I was wondering why there was a 5o year-old man laying on the ground while the Devil did his surf board routine. I was seriously kind of worried about the guy though, he looked a little slow in getting up 8-)

I'm not a fan of the piped in theatrics that they've brought in. Still way less than at other arenas, but not too long ago Cameron was totally devoid of the blaring music, video intros, and electronic advertisements. I guess you have to pay the bills somehow.

On the other hand, the halftime jump rope group was phenomenal!
    That "man" is actually Biology professor and Vice Provost Steve Nowicki: http://www.biology.duke.edu/nowicki/about.html

And he actually plays several brass instruments at most home games, and frequently does the blue devil surfing thing. During last night's version, he got up and threw a nice little "nyah nyah" taunt as he passed the Maryland huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by CBDUKE View Post
    If I am not mistaken, and I could be, he is the football announcer also.
    It was Art Chase. And you're correct. Trip Durham is also the football announcer. So, I guess you did kind of call him out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    My dad and step-mom have taken to wearing ear plugs this year. The noise level is much louder than the past, and that's too bad. Cameron is one of those venues that doesn't need added noise to make the game more exciting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My dad and step-mom have taken to wearing ear plugs this year. The noise level is much louder than the past, and that's too bad. Cameron is one of those venues that doesn't need added noise to make the game more exciting.
    In fact, the added noise level is a bit synthetic, artificial and detracts from the genuine in-house enthusiasm.

Wonderful Announcing Last Night

Last night's announcer was terrific. His calls were precise, timely and accurate and to quote my Cameron neighbor:

"The new regular guy sounds like the emcee at a strip club - when he says "Welcome back to the floor..."

This year, we have had more verbage and less game information than any time in the last 30 years. The former Elon standout has called exactly one assist and no rejections, and we are really tired of his drawn out boring call of fouls. It is almost as bad as his first-down calls in football.

We were hoping last night's change was permanent.

So I guess I was the only one that didn't like the sub? His voice was way too abrasive for me, I didn't like listening to it at all...regardless of how informative he was.