Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Three Thoughts:

1. Tyler Thornton

2. Maryland must be really effing tired of "quality losses"

3. TYLER THORNTON!!!!

MOTM = Singler's barber

Thank you Mr. Thornton!

Tyler's coming-out game, but Kyle won it for us, team on his back.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Tyler and Seth really stepped up for us in the 2nd half. Seth scored 12 points that were really needed in this defensive minded game. Go Duke!

Thornton and Singler were HUGE tonight.

The Plumlees have looked lost since KI went down to an injury. We are going to need one of them to at least pose a threat down in the post or it could be trouble against a more talented squad deep in March.

Tyler was the man tonight. Disappointed in the Plumlees, I'm not seeing it from them yet despite everyone's hopes and expectations.

Why did they take our 2 points away when we went up 56-65? I never saw an explanation, was there a foul or something on Miles' slam?

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    1. Thank God for Tyler Thornton.
    2. Even though Nolan wasn't as explosive offensively, I'd still take his "off-game" to just about anyone other player's A-game.
    3. The Plumlees have got to start using some basketball IQ. I know they've got to have some but they just made a few ill advised moves tonight. That being said, I'll give it up to Miles, who didn't make quite as many of those plays as I've seen him make in the past.
    4. Man do I love Seth Curry.
    5. Where was Kyrie? I don't remember seeing him.

man, what a great game with a satisfying outcome...

nolan with a great horrible game again...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

At least we won both halves

Nothing at all surprising about this game. Just another hard fought battle with an extremely well coached Maryland team. Our turnovers were directly related to the great D Maryland plays and the fact that we haven't played against this type of defense without our pg.

Huge props to Tyler, Seth and our usual suspects Kyle and Nolan. Big ups to Nolan for fighting through a tough game.

We used the small lineup for just about the entire 2nd half. And we had to. I think it's our best lineup right now with KI out.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

TT

I had said in some other thread that I didn't think that either Tyler or Josh would play an important role in any ACC games this year. I am proud to say that I was wrong, Tyler's play tonight was instrumental in the win. His defensive presence in the 2nd half allowed us to find the breathing room necessary to win. Congrats Tyler!

We'll take it but..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Discuss the game here.
    Good news - We showed a lot of heart on a night when the outside shots were not falling. Nolan did not have a great shooting game but was still a difference maker. Tyler Thornton had a good game - very promising future. Kyle had a good game despite a slow start.

Bad news - We have no low post offense. The Plumlees are simply not a scoring threat. Bad footwork, bad hands and no ability to score in the low post against a tough team.

I don't mean to disparage any college kid, especially young men who are trying hard and seem to be good guys, but both Plumlees give me great concern.

What did Thornton do? I only was able to watch the last 5 minutes. Box score says 2 points, 2 missed FTs, 0 rebounds, 0 assist, 2 fouls in 12 minutes.

Were the 4 steals really that impressive?

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    What did Thornton do? I only was able to watch the last 5 minutes. Box score says 2 points, 2 missed FTs, 0 rebounds, 0 assist, 2 fouls in 12 minutes.

Those steals kind of sparked the team when we were barely looking like a top 15 team, let alone the number one team in the nation.

I second that. I couldn't get the game on TV. From the stat sheet Tyler looks okay but not amazing. What happened?

Maryland was our first true competition...

...since the streak of tough games right before the Christmas break; I am proud that Duke could hold on and gut it out. Maryland is a good team and they pushed us hard tonight. The team took that push in stride and they were able to overcome the Maryland lead and get it done when they had to! Thornton, Dawkins and Curry really helped Duke a lot, and it's GREAT to see those guys get time on the floor!

dth.

Yes, and he really disrupted MD's flow on offense and drew a few fouls. His D was better than anyone on the floor tonight.

I was only able to follow the game on line via espn. So its hard to know how it would seem live. But I was not impressed by the Free Throws. In a tight game, I think I counted that we missed 5 of the last 6. Not cool.

Turnovers were high as well.

Would those who watched put that down to good Md. defense, or were we not well prepared mentally and didn't turn in a good effort? If it was good Md. defense, what did they do? Press/Zone/Overplay? Was it a matchup issue?