Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A little love for Duke WBB

In the last three days, Duke has played two VERY tough opponents, winning terrific, arduous games against Kentucky and Maryland. Last night, Duke's comeback victory (against the always-challenging Terps) showed real grit and tenacity. Our team is undefeated and, while some of their wins have not been elegant, they are all significant. WELL DONE.

I was really dreading last night's game since we have been playing so ugly. But what a great victory. Our overall play was greatly improved. And the crowds for the last 2 games have been wonderful - lots of cheering and support.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One of the things I love about this team is that they seem to be a COMPLETE team. We have our floor leaders, such as Jasmine and Karima, but we are getting solid contiributions from just about everyone. Last night, Jasmine was on the bench for a significant stretch, while we were down, and still managed to mount the comeback. The freshmen have been great, I haven't been anything but impressed by each of them, and am licking my lips at the thought of those 5 with some more experience under their belts. It was really fun earlier this year to see all 5 playing at the same time, can't remember which game it was but that had to be a first. As we've seen, not all the wins have been pretty, but there is no quit in this team. They rely on each other so well, and don't collapse under pressure. Now all they gotta do is figure out how to shoot a layup with a defender on them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

As above--not always pretty BB, BUT cannot beat UNDEFEATED !
    including 3 top 15 teams--not bad !

I enjoyed seeing the guys in attendance and obviously enjoying themselves. Quite an accomplishment - #3 women and #1 men. Not since '99 for Duke when we were #1 - #1 (and forget the outcomes), IRRC.

Toughness

This team has it. Haley Peters = Nate James

Wink Does It Run in the Family?

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    This team has it. Haley Peters = Nate James
    Haley was amazing. In fact, she played so well, I expect her brother Casey to get more playing time.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I enjoyed seeing the guys in attendance and obviously enjoying themselves. Quite an accomplishment - #3 women and #1 men. Not since '99 for Duke when we were #1 - #1 (and forget the outcomes), IRRC.
    I believe both teams were #1 in 2006. At least, the men definitely were and the women got a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I'm not 100% sure the women were ranked #1, but clearly they were elite/top 4ish by getting a 1 seed. That final against Maryland still breaks my heart though...should have won it.

Still, obviously, quite an accomplishment for our university this year.

Great thread, and I couldn't agree more. This team can be frustrating to watch at times (who knew 2-foot shots could consistently be SO exciting?), but it feels like any of the women could come through with a big defensive stop or shot at almost any moment. The energy and determination are palpable. I really like this team.

I've been impressed with crowd size this year, too - we can't show up just before tip and get prime bleacher seats as easily anymore! I guess the good thing about the low student support for WBB is that the break games don't really have worse attendance than games during the semester. It's nice to see Durhamites out supporting the women and the Crusties lustily cheering and standing for the last couple of minutes of last night's game!

And Haley Peters. My goodness. She is almost always in the right place.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Haley was amazing. In fact, she played so well, I expect her brother Casey to get more playing time.

sagegrouse
    They mentioned an amazing stat about Haley last night that I didn't know. She aced her ACT. (Also was valedictorian of her class.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Coach P

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    Great thread, and I couldn't agree more. This team can be frustrating to watch at times (who knew 2-foot shots could consistently be SO exciting?), but it feels like any of the women could come through with a big defensive stop or shot at almost any moment. The energy and determination are palpable. I really like this team.

I've been impressed with crowd size this year, too - we can't show up just before tip and get prime bleacher seats as easily anymore! I guess the good thing about the low student support for WBB is that the break games don't really have worse attendance than games during the semester. It's nice to see Durhamites out supporting the women and the Crusties lustily cheering and standing for the last couple of minutes of last night's game!

And Haley Peters. My goodness. She is almost always in the right place.
    I'd like to see some love for Joanne P. McCallie. There are a lot of people who ragged on her for no other reason than she wasn't Coach, uh. whatever her name was. Others just because they wanted an ex-Dukie to run the program.

Duke got this hire right. Several people here and elsewhere ought to be eating crow by now. If we can get the offense to rolling, the ladies will be even harder to beat! These gals are tough.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They mentioned an amazing stat about Haley last night that I didn't know. She aced her ACT. (Also was valedictorian of her class.)
    Wow, that is impressive. Her brother must take after her. Casey got a perfect score on the SAT math (and was a national merit semifinalist). But Haley has him beat by getting a perfect cumulative score. 36 on the ACT and being valedictorian, while training hard to be a great athlete is really tough to do. I don't understand how these kids do it. It takes immense time management skills. Boggles my mind...

Very impressive group of wins for DWB. I know Jazmine really wanted to be the team to take down UCONn.

The womens' and mens' teams are very close and it's great to see them out supporting each other.

"Several people here and elsewhere ought to be eating crow by now."

Make mine crow and Swiss on whole wheat, with lettuce, tomato, and Dijon mustard. Side of macaroni salad and a Diet Coke. Twas a long and frustrating transition, but we are starting to look like we can consistently be top five or six.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Make mine crow and Swiss on whole wheat, with lettuce, tomato, and Dijon mustard. Side of macaroni salad and a Diet Coke. Twas a long and frustrating transition, but we are starting to look like we can consistently be top five or six.
    Could we substitute "bleupoupon" in place of the dijon?

Talking Three Minutes To Remember

The final three minutes erased a lot of painful memories. Although a win is a win is a win, basketball can be a beautiful game to watch, and the end last night was boith beautiful and memorable. Kudos to our A-A Jasmine and congratulations to our freshman stars, who arrived just in the nick of time.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I'd like to see some love for Joanne P. McCallie. There are a lot of people who ragged on her for no other reason than she wasn't Coach, uh. whatever her name was. Others just because they wanted an ex-Dukie to run the program.

Duke got this hire right. Several people here and elsewhere ought to be eating crow by now. If we can get the offense to rolling, the ladies will be even harder to beat! These gals are tough.
    And look at the success (or lack thereof) of her predecessor. Maybe coaching at Duke has some effect on recruiting and success.

Why was the transistion frustrating?

I'd love to get yours or anyone else's perspective on why there could've been a perception that the transition to Coach P was frusting? No offense to Coach G, but she never won a NC with Duke; and she should've (the painful loss to MD in OT in the championship game comes to mind); and we've had our share of disappointing post seasons under G in the latter stages of her coaching career at Duke. When you transition to a new coach, there's always going to be a transition period and some disappointing loses; but to Coach P's credit, she's kept the women's program very competitive each year that she's coached them IMO. Each year, the team and record has improved; and we've been at or near the top of the ACC as well as nationally ranked in the top 10-15 her entire tenure.

So again, why would anyone consider the Coach P transition long and frustrating? And please note that I'm not trying to attack anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    In the last three days, Duke has played two VERY tough opponents, winning terrific, arduous games against Kentucky and Maryland. Last night, Duke's comeback victory (against the always-challenging Terps) showed real grit and tenacity. Our team is undefeated and, while some of their wins have not been elegant, they are all significant. WELL DONE.
    Let's not forget the win vs. Xavier a couple of weeks ago (their coach had to be restrained at the end after Jasmine blocked the final shot. All of the last three games were decided in the final minutes and Jaz was the catalyst all three times. Krystal also played much better last night than she did vs. KY. I was worried when we could not break through the zone, but once again, a miraculous finish. And to top it off, a Carolina loss.

By the way, I am on a personal crusade to get students to the games. Two new converts so far this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And look at the success (or lack thereof) of her predecessor. Maybe coaching at Duke has some effect on recruiting and success.
    I agree!

I just wanted to add that the enthusiasm of the freshmen last night was palpable even watching on TV! Maybe the thing the ladies need to hold on to most from this game is that it's supposed to be fun. Sometimes ballplayers forget that.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!