Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alex Murphy Recruiting Thread

We are overdue for an Alex Murphy recruiting thread.

Alex will be in Cameron for the Maryland game. Let's make him feel welcome.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Kyle Singler 2.0!

They both have very similar size, Murphy at 6'8 215lbs, and supposedly has the ball skills like Kyle as well. I believe he would be a great addition to our team, and right at the perfect time. (Well not 100% perfect, because him coming next year would have been excellent but darn close too it.)
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Singlar 2.0 sounds great, but we'll have to see if he has some semblance of Kyle's heart and warrior mentality. THAT is what truly separates him and makes him special.

According to murphys twitter, he plans on being at duke Saturday-Monday so all the crazies should show him some love. I believe I recall him and Shabazz both saying that an involved and excited fan base is important to them so make him feel welcome!

Hope's he's as smart as Kyle and realizes the value of a Duke Degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzyzewskiville View Post
    Kyle Singler 2.0!

They both have very similar size, Murphy at 6'8 215lbs, and supposedly has the ball skills like Kyle as well. I believe he would be a great addition to our team, and right at the perfect time. (Well not 100% perfect, because him coming next year would have been excellent but darn close too it.)
    Maybe just my opinion, but personally I don't like excessively comparing future players to current players. If I was the recruit, I wouldn't like it either. I love Kyle Singler; he is one of the best players Duke has ever had, and I'm sure his jersey will hang when his fabulous career here ends. I also would absolutely love Alex Murphy to make the right choice for Duke. But I don't want him to be "the next Kyle Singler." I want him to be the next Alex Murphy, and I can't wait to see the game he would bring us. Players have visited Duke in the past, being told that they could be the next "Shane Battier", etc. I also remember when it was all said and done, those players eventually chose other schools. They don't want to be the next Shane Battier or Kyle Singler. I hope the crazies show Alex some love, and that he has such an awesome time that he leaves certain Duke is the right place for him to be the next Alex Murphy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Maybe just my opinion, but personally I don't like excessively comparing future players to current players. If I was the recruit, I wouldn't like it either. I love Kyle Singler; he is one of the best players Duke has ever had, and I'm sure his jersey will hang when his fabulous career here ends. I also would absolutely love Alex Murphy to make the right choice for Duke. But I don't want him to be "the next Kyle Singler." I want him to be the next Alex Murphy, and I can't wait to see the game he would bring us. Players have visited Duke in the past, being told that they could be the next "Shane Battier", etc. I also remember when it was all said and done, those players eventually chose other schools. They don't want to be the next Shane Battier or Kyle Singler. I hope the crazies show Alex some love, and that he has such an awesome time that he leaves certain Duke is the right place for him to be the next Alex Murphy.
    Agreed. And he is supposedly a special one! You know, if we were so luckly to get Alex, five years from now someone will probably be speculating, "So, who's going to be the next Alex Murphy..." We should be so lucky. (Before Kyle, it was "KS could be the next Mike Dunleavy..." HA!)

But he does sound like a Duke kind of kid, and I hope he sees it that way too. Will all of the students be back for the Sunday night game? Or at least most of them -- enough to give him a real Crazie welcome?? It is MD, so the intensity should be up!

According to his twitter he will be at CIS this weekend for the Maryland game. He seems to have a pretty good relationship with both Quinn Cook and Nolan. I REALLY hope that bodes well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthDevil View Post
    According to his twitter he will be at CIS this weekend for the Maryland game. He seems to have a pretty good relationship with both Quinn Cook and Nolan. I REALLY hope that bodes well for us.
    It seems like everyone has a great relationship with Nolan. What a personality.

Seriously, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It seems like everyone has a great relationship with Nolan. What a personality.
    At this point, if Nolan doesn't make it as a player, I'd LOVE him back as an assistant coach...he just seems to make friends with everyone, is a great role model, and is always fun.

(Not to say I wouldn't want any of our other players back as an assistant coach, but those are skills that would be terrific for a recruiter).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Alex Murphy? This guy?

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    At this point, if Nolan doesn't make it as a player, I'd LOVE him back as an assistant coach...he just seems to make friends with everyone, is a great role model, and is always fun.

(Not to say I wouldn't want any of our other players back as an assistant coach, but those are skills that would be terrific for a recruiter).
    I think he would be a great assistant, after a nice NBA career. He is definitely a great ambassador for our university and program.

13. Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Alex Murphy? This guy?

It'll be great if he shoots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Alex Murphy? This guy?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    It'll be great if he shoots as well.
    But NOT as often!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he would be a great assistant, after a nice NBA career. He is definitely a great ambassador for our university and program.
    Nolan could clean up recruiting in the DC area alone; oh wait, he already has.

Does anyone know if Alex Murphy has a time frame beyond post-summer league and pre-high school season? That seems to be the most common time to commit.

Scout.com

They list him as 6'8" and 180#. Maybe they aren't up to date, but where did the 215# number come from? Thats a lot of much needed filling out if he has. Singler's around 230 now from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    They list him as 6'8" and 180#. Maybe they aren't up to date, but where did the 215# number come from? Thats a lot of much needed filling out if he has. Singler's around 230 now from what I have heard.
    ESPN and DraftExpress both list him at 215.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...55/alex-murphy
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alex-Murphy-6291/

I'd assume Scout (and Rivals for that matter), just haven't update their stats recently.

Although this article lists him at 205.
    http://www.news-press.com/article/20...-family-affair

BlueDevilNation reported him at 210:
    http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/d...epth-with-bdn/

In any event, he's definitely not 180 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthDevil View Post
    Quinn will actually be behind the bench with Alex. He's already taking over the mantle of lead recruiter from Nolan!

They will be joined by 2013 wing forward Jabari Parker as well. He's a good 6'6" and 200 lbs and hails from Coach K, Collins, and Jon Scheyer's hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Alex Murphy? This guy?

I hope not.

This guy looks alarmingly unathletic.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I hope not.

This guy looks alarmingly unathletic.
    you're kidding, right? this guy was a beast in the post....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese