Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 85, UAB 64 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

We only had 6 turnovers which is exceptional against a quick team. Our opening blitz was the best ball we've played all year - starting out 26-4. Ultimately our focus and energy dropped off, sort of like the guys got bored.

I do think the offensive game plan UAB executed was a pretty good one - spread us out, drive and kick. If they had a better finishers, it would have been a game. Is that what we see out of FSU?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I do think the offensive game plan UAB executed was a pretty good one - spread us out, drive and kick. If they had a better finishers, it would have been a game. Is that what we see out of FSU?
    The way FSU shoots - 195th in the country in 3FG% - I certainly hope so.

The good: Nolan Smith. Just...wow. Pomeroy had us winning 81-60, We won 85-64. (Our pomeroy ranking should drop slightly, keeping us at 2, since we were less efficient than predicted).

Our opponent shot 40% from 3 and yet we never led by less than 14 in the 2nd half.
    ------

The Bad: The team couldn't pull away for the 2nd straight game, though they at least won the second half. Kyle Singler was apparently 5-18 today, his second game where he seemed way cold. If he make 5 more of those shots, we pull away like we were supposed to.

Kelly took at least 3 wide open shots (2 of them 3s) that he couldn't get to drop...he seems to be cold from range recently, which would be a huge addition to this game.

Seth Curry seemed oddly enough to be in Ks doghouse, not playing for a good bit of the first half and then not being in for a good bit of the second. Not sure why that was the case. He did go 2-3 with 5 points when in the game.

Miles...returned to hacking Miles.

----------------------
    I don't mean to sound totally negative. I have high expectations for this team, and for the first 8 minutes of this game, the team blew right by them. But after that, it was like a different team on defense. Too many open shots.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Lots to like

We had a great start to the game. Coach K felt safe enough to give some young players a little playing time early, otherwise it might have been a complete blowout.

Clearly Nolan had an absolutely super game. Getting to the basket and shooting from the perimiter. Good ball handling and defense as well.

It also appeared that we wanted to get Mason going. He had some physical advantages in the game, but he also played better and scored under pressure. Good step forward. I hope it will continue for him.

Singler is always very important but I thought with Kelly and Singler missing from the perimiter it would have seemed sensible to get Dawkins more shots. Is he too passive or are they not setting screens for him? I think he only took 4 shots tonight. 2 for 3 on threes and 1 for 1 in close. He is too good a shooter not to get more shots in the game.

On to the Maryland game Sunday.

I thought Mason was a positive tonight. He looked more like a basketball player than a high jumper. Still a long way to go, but I am optimistic.

We only had 6 turnovers which is exceptional against a quick team. Our opening blitz was the best ball we've played all year - starting out 26-4. Ultimately our focus and energy dropped off, sort of like the guys got bored.

Well, FSU doesn't have the offensive weapons that even UAB has. The 'Noles really have trouble scoring. They shoot pretty poorly from 3pt range, they shoot pretty poorly from 2pt range, they shoot poorly from the line, they turn it over too much, and they don't draw a lot of fouls. FSU only stays competent because they play very tough defense. They also rebound well offensively, though that only brings them back to mediocre offensively (140th in offensive efficiency).

It's always great to see Duke score a first round knockout. It takes a lot of the pressure off and allowed some of the backups to get a couple of minutes early. After the first 5 minutes, it was pretty clear that Duke let off the gas big time, especially on D. I don't have a problem with that as it's a long season, and if you don't have to exert a ton of energy and can still keep the lead at a comfortable margin, than do so. We've already seen that this team can bring it for 40 minutes against good teams.

Because of that, it's hard to comment seriously on how the game went. Individually, Nolan continues to be a beast which is always good to see. I was slightly disappointed with Josh and Tyler when they got a chance in the first half. You can't be hard on them, as without consistent minutes, it's tough to get into a flow, but Josh came in and immediately got lost on D, leading to a layup, and then took a very quick and contested turnaround jumper at the other end. Again, I can't expect them to come in a play like veterans when their freshman who don't get many minutes, but I also didn't see anything that makes me think that we will see more than a strict 7 man rotation in big games.

One thing that did concern me somewhat legitimately is the 3 point defense. Duke did a poor job of rotating to cover shooters when we bring double teams or go for steals. This led to a TON of wide open 3 pointers for UAB. Again, let me emphasize that I think this has a lot to do with the the team stepping off the gas, which I don't mind, but this isn't the first time I've seen it this year. Before tonight, Duke ranked 84th in 3 point defense, giving up 31.5%. That's not bad, but Duke has finished as bad as 84th in that department only once since 2004. It's just one of those things where upsets are often built on hot three point shooting, and this team hasn't been great at stopping it this year. I would hardly call it a big concern, but it is something that I will keep an eye on as the ACC season progresses.

I can't be all negative after a 21 point win, and their were plenty of positives. First, nothing makes me happier than putting a team away early. It let's everyone relax, and makes the game easier. Even though Duke never pushed out the lead, you pretty much knew it was over 5 minutes in. Why? Duke never let them go on a big run. I haven't seen a full play-by-play, but I can't remember them getting closer than 14 the entire game. For the most part, that game stayed between a 14 and 20 point game, which is magnificent for a team who is essentially coasting. They always got the timely bucket when UAB started to get close and would stop UAB on defense when they got a few consecutive stops on us.

It's obvious to see how well Nolan is playing, but he is really starting to put me at ease if Kyrie can't come back. Nolan had a chance two years ago to be the point guard, and struggled, but he has been absolutely dominate both in scoring and distributing lately. For him personally, this has to be big in the eyes of NBA scouts that he can work on the ball since he is probably too small to be off the ball full time at the next level.

I love seeing this team continue to improve and am hoping for some good news on the toe front soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Singler is always very important but I thought with Kelly and Singler missing from the perimiter it would have seemed sensible to get Dawkins more shots. Is he too passive or are they not setting screens for him? I think he only took 4 shots tonight. 2 for 3 on threes and 1 for 1 in close. He is too good a shooter not to get more shots in the game.
    Andre Dawkins is shooting 57.9% on field goals (55 of 95) and 53.8% on 3-pointers (35 of 65). A little elementary math reveals he is 20 of 30 or 66.7% on 2 point field goals. Whether or not Dawkins needs to shoot more is a chicken or egg situation. Is Andre Dawkins shooting great percentages due to great shot selection? Or is he having a lights out season? Personally, I'd like to see him take a few more shots even if it results is some degradation to his amazing shooting percentages. He is a critical cog in the team and I believe he needs a few more looks per game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post

Clearly Nolan had an absolutely super game. Getting to the basket and shooting from the perimiter. Good ball handling and defense as well.
    If we can arrange for Nolan to get called for a charge every game we will not lose!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Kyle Singler was apparently 5-18 today, his second game where he seemed way cold. If he make 5 more of those shots, we pull away like we were supposed to.
    I thought Kyle's shot selection was poor, particularly in the 2nd half. He took too many contested shots and missed open teammates. I dont know if he thinks he needs to carry a lot of the scoring load and it makes him press a little, but he missed out on finding a better shot a handful of times.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    One thing that did concern me somewhat legitimately is the 3 point defense. Duke did a poor job of rotating to cover shooters when we bring double teams or go for steals. This led to a TON of wide open 3 pointers for UAB. Again, let me emphasize that I think this has a lot to do with the the team stepping off the gas, which I don't mind, but this isn't the first time I've seen it this year. Before tonight, Duke ranked 84th in 3 point defense, giving up 31.5%. That's not bad, but Duke has finished as bad as 84th in that department only once since 2004. It's just one of those things where upsets are often built on hot three point shooting, and this team hasn't been great at stopping it this year. I would hardly call it a big concern, but it is something that I will keep an eye on as the ACC season progresses.
    I think UAB's game plan was to get into the lane and kick it out which they did well. With our big men rounding into shape on D, I think something gets lost during the growth period and this appears to be it. They helped out on the penetrator and UAB slid to open space. If UAB could have scored better in the lane, they would have had us really off balance. We should get better at defending threes - remember that we lost three rotation guys from last year and are not where we will be come March yet. But defending threes has emerged as an issue to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Andre Dawkins is shooting 57.9% on field goals (55 of 95) and 53.8% on 3-pointers (35 of 65). A little elementary math reveals he is 20 of 30 or 66.7% on 2 point field goals. Whether or not Dawkins needs to shoot more is a chicken or egg situation. Is Andre Dawkins shooting great percentages due to great shot selection? Or is he having a lights out season? Personally, I'd like to see him take a few more shots even if it results is some degradation to his amazing shooting percentages. He is a critical cog in the team and I believe he needs a few more looks per game.
    i think andre is doing a fantastic job of letting the game come to him; i wouldn't want to see him push things too hard. the guy is in such a groove right now just doing what he's doing, taking what's there. if he starts to try and create too much, his shooting percentage could drop pretty quickly, and there's no way to know how much of an effect that can have on a kid's confidence.

I thought Kyle's shot selection was poor, particularly in the 2nd half. He took too many contested shots and missed open teammates. I dont know if he thinks he needs to carry a lot of the scoring load and it makes him press a little, but he missed out on finding a better shot a handful of times.
    my guess is that he was just taking advantage of a big lead, and trying to adjust his stroke in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Andre can shoot the ball. I thought JJ had the purest stroke- Dawkins is really unbelievable. When he is set- there are few better, The kid can flat out shoot and I agree he needs more shots.

I thought Kelly bounded the ball very well tonight and he is a sneaky good defensive player. Mason looked much better tonight. He is still raw on O but you can see a lot of potential. I liked the fact he was more aggressive on the glass.

Nolan of course was the star- but I do wish he could pass better- but, then again- when you don't miss there is no reason to pass. He showed some Kyrie moves tonight- like pulling the ball close to his body as he went up for a layup. Nolan is just playing great.

Kyle is still struggling but he is just missing - hopefully he will work out the kinks.

Looking Good

Nolan was amazing. Nice game for Mason. Some very tough work under the boards for Ryan, his extra strength is paying dividends. Seth had a neat drive, but he lost his man on D at least twice.

I disagree. I can think of only two really poor shot selections. One went in fading from the baseline (and can't be that bad because he hits it a lot). K posted up Kyle 2 or 3 times in the 2nd half and he just happened to miss them all (which is unusual). The rest of his shots came on standard three pointers that K wants him to shoot, and the same curl off the baseline screen up and in to the lane that Duke runs maybe 2nd most of any set (behind the high Plumlee screen for Nolan).

More than one young guy got lost on D ... and that explains some of the playing time things that people are wondering about. As for UAB shooting well, well it seemed to me they didn't exactly have their toes on the line. They were way back and we often weren't that close to the shooter when they took an NBA+ range shot. Plus they're fairly quick, and we probably didn't want to get beat off the dribble by covering the perimeter tight in a man to man.

It all begins with D, and we're a good running team, so we can shoot a higher percentage than when were were mostly a half court offense. But even then, our speed - Nolan did a fair impersonation of Kyrie tonight, just abusing his defender off the dribble.

That early charge - I know Patrick and Elmore immediately pointed out that "you don't have to have your feet set to draw a charge" - well, maybe, I guess, and although that's primarily the way I grew up thinking the rule was, I figure if you've got position and the guy runs over you, well, if you're shuffling your feet a bit in place, it's still a charge. But the defender was backpedaling big time and Nolan was going full steam ahead. I don't care if he lowered his shoulder a bit to save his face, that's a block, it seems to me. The guy was in the way and had not established position at all, feet moving or not. I can see why K went ape-dung over it.

Then the rest of the game, a couple of nearly identical calls went as blocks, not charges. Strange. But Nolan was simply great. Talk about exploiting a mismatch.

Ryan does shoot well from the outside usually; but I've noticed he doesn't have much arc on his shot (FG or FT). Probably because he's so tall - but that leaves less room for error.

I was glad to see our boys crush a Mike Davis team. That Indiana-Duke game still smarts! I have to admit I was a little concerned when I saw that UAB had him as coach - and was impressed how they never folded and kept at it (until they started fouling out). They're a good team, but unless they rebound better, they're very vulnerable to a cold shooting night.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The Bad: The team couldn't pull away for the 2nd straight game, though they at least won the second half. .
    Serious question: what do you consider "pulling away"?

What was the deal with the ref not allowing that UAB player to come in because he had long sleeves? I could have sworn I have seen players play with long sleeves before.