Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Major Orlando Magic trades

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5932861

No former Duke players moved but significant implications for Redick, Duhon and Grant.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5932861

No former Duke players moved but significant implications for Redick, Duhon and Grant.

Discuss.
    oops. Saw that this had been bundled into the ongoing thread. Feel free to lock.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    oops. Saw that this had been bundled into the ongoing thread. Feel free to lock.
    No! Don't lock. I'm not reading the other thread. I don't even know what thread you're talking about and I don't care to know about it and I'm not going to start reading it now. I do want to know how these trades impact Redick, Duhoh and Hill, and I'd like to read about it in its own thread. This thread.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

bad for magic

Pretty sure whatever benefit Arenas brings to the court will be outweighed by the detriment he brings to the locker room.

And, with Richardson and Arenas joining Jameer Nelson, this team is going to be full of me-first, shoot-first point guards. I actually think Orlando will need Redick and Duhon to balance this out. Still, I don't really see it as a positive for the team or for our alumni.

Great to see Carter go. If only he had gone to a team I don't want to root.

Same role for JJ...maybe for PT

the magic now have 3 SG JJ Jason Richardson and Gilbert arenas

All players have different styles of play

out of the 3 JJ is the best shooter
    arenas is probably the best at making his own shot
    richardson i would say is the best finisher/slasher

JJ still wont start...but I dont think this will affect JJ to much
    J rich could technically play the SF...which would mean more pt for JJ

if they are in desperate need of quick points JJ would probably be the best option
    The team looks like this now

PG:Nelson/Duhon
    SG:Arenas/JJ
    SF:J Rich/Quentin Richardson
    PF:Bass/Anderson
    C:Howard/Earl Clark

Arenas has played something like 50 games - total - in the last three seasons. Between injuries and simple boneheadedness, he's not had much of a recent track record on the court.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No! Don't lock. I'm not reading the other thread. I don't even know what thread you're talking about and I don't care to know about it and I'm not going to start reading it now. I do want to know how these trades impact Redick, Duhoh and Hill, and I'd like to read about it in its own thread. This thread.
    I'd pitchfork you for that if I could. Hard to know if it's good or bad for JJ until we see what Van Gundy does, but I see it as good for Orlando to have Turkoglu back. He can shoot. He can shoot really well. If that's good for Orlando, and it gets them back to the playoffs with a stronger team, then it's good for JJ. Having Carter gone IS good for JJ. And Orlando.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think JJ could learn a lot from playing with Arenas. Arenas is not the most physically talented guard, but is smart and cagey. Or, at least that's what I remember from college.

What does cagey even mean, anyway? I just know it's used to describe a basketball player who uses intelligent moves in addition to athleticism to succeed. Ah, clever is a good synonym. JJ could learn to increase his cleverosity by working with Arenas.

Ninja edit: Arenas has never shot above 37.5% from 3, and his accuracy is trending downwards.

They tell JJ they love him. They pay him starter money to keep him away from the bulls. Then they bury him. Again. At least with VC his contract was due to expire and it looked like JJ might take over. Guess not. Poor JJ.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    They tell JJ they love him. They pay him starter money to keep him away from the bulls. Then they bury him. Again. At least with VC his contract was due to expire and it looked like JJ might take over. Guess not. Poor JJ.
    JJ gets the start tonight. That's not surprising..but I'm not sure about the "bury him" quote. Redick has been very active lately, getting lots of minutes, even a career high. He still might come off the bench, but he'll get his minutes each night.

edit..jj starts..box score http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301218019
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Pretty sure whatever benefit Arenas brings to the court will be outweighed by the detriment he brings to the locker room.

And, with Richardson and Arenas joining Jameer Nelson, this team is going to be full of me-first, shoot-first point guards. I actually think Orlando will need Redick and Duhon to balance this out. Still, I don't really see it as a positive for the team or for our alumni.

Great to see Carter go. If only he had gone to a team I don't want to root.
    I agree and it hasn't just been the guards. Nelson, Carter, Lewis, and now Turkoglu (again) have never seen a shot they didn't like. I am curious who will back up Howard now that Gortat is gone. I always thought he was underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm not sure about the "bury him" quote. [/URL]
    I mean they traded one guy who gets a lot of SG minutes (VC) for two other guys who will get a lot of SG minutes (Arenas and Rich). I will be quite surprised if JJs minute go up the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post

What does cagey even mean, anyway? ....
    cagey means shrewd, and also cautious, per dictionary.com

crafty means sly ...

Scheyer was described by commentators as 'crafty' (which a Jewish Duke friend would often note and joke was code and representative of historical stereotypes)

"Carter and Pietrus give us a great defensive presence on the perimeter..."

Carter a defensive presence, really!!? If you are going to get a guy to boost your defensive presence, Vince is most definitely not your guy. Carter also likes take all of the air out of the ball so how exactly is this going to fly offensively? I don't see this as being good for Grant or the Suns for that matter.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    cagey means shrewd, and also cautious, per dictionary.com

crafty means sly ...

Scheyer was described by commentators as 'crafty' (which a Jewish Duke friend would often note and joke was code and representative of historical stereotypes)
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I think your friend was a bit oversensitive. Crafty isn't the rarest of compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I think your friend was a bit oversensitive. Crafty isn't the rarest of compliments.
    To be fair, he did say "joke."

re: Scheyer comments

You can call him crafty.I called him smart. Probably the most intelligent player we had in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    To be fair, he did say "joke."
    Oy, to be fair, my reading comprehension is terrible. Apologies, all.

This certainly changes the dynamics for our guys, but I think JJ takes the only real potential hit. They now have to size up Arenas, so JJ's PT could be somewhat impacted. I actually believe that JJ will continue to be a very important factor on the floor and in the lockeroom, and that when we look at his minutes/performance at the end of the year we will not see a downturn. I think that Chris and Grant will be fine.

Hey, this is the reality in the NBA and working a job. To me, it drives home the message to our student-athletes that they should really think hard about leaving too early. College (and Duke especially) is just such a special, fun, and irrecoverable time...Thanks again, Kyle!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd pitchfork you for that if I could.
    Thanks CB&B. The mods should know that I've gotten several other positive comments that are in agreement that the merging has gone way overboard and the mega-threads are extremely difficult to read and or follow. As I have mentioned previously, I tend to ignore them entirely.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com