Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Setting the record straight

Quote Originally Posted by terps84 View Post
    I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday. I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans. Go Terps
    For those of you that felt offended by my post about visitor treatment at Cameron. I meant treat our team nice with the score. Maryland is rebuilding and Duke is the best team in the country. I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace

Here's another germane example . . .

I will add one additional factoid regarding fan/student conduct in College Park. In approximately 2004, 2005 or 2006, I attended a game at Maryland where comportment was especially atrocious – even by Terrapin standards. J J Redick was the particular object of truly obscene – FAR beyond any reasonable criterion for proactive fan behavior – taunts and signs, and his family (including his much younger sister) was also vulgarly derided.

This conduct was so outrageous that, as an immediate result, UMd officials made some customary and ineffectual remarks about students/alumni/boosters cleaning up their act, however, NO substantive and effective procedures were implemented to limit fan boorishness. Almost immediately, this became a “free speech” issue within the Maryland fan-base, with the spin that obnoxious behavior or obscenely offensive language – no matter how unseemly – could not be banned on First Amendment grounds.

Only at Maryland could a simple, straightforward, common-sense matter by rationalized and justified in this way. If my memory is correct, eventually the State’s Attorney General had to issue some sort of finding that indicated that a prudently worded “code of conduct” would not violate individual free speech rights.

I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace
    Excellent post, and I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    terps, I have not been to the new hall of fame adjacent to Cameron yet but a non-Duke pal of mine was just up there and said it was worth seeing.

Have a great time.

P.S. I can write the chapter on the Dean Dome if you want. I'll send it directly to the publisher to save time . . . .
    Can you stay awake long enough to finish writing it?

For those of you that felt offended by my post about visitor treatment at Cameron. I meant treat our team nice with the score. Maryland is rebuilding and Duke is the best team in the country. I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace
    Ahh, okay, understood... just an internet misunderstanding... isn't the first time, won't be the last. Hope you have a GREAT time at the game (and that your team does not have a very good time) and that the powers-that-be up at Comcast can help reign in the more unruly fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Can you stay awake long enough to finish writing it?
    With that ugly neon baby blue? Who could sleep?

There may be wine stains on the manuscript, but I assure all that it is from a fine chardonnay.

I think I'll title the chapter: "Never should have left Carmichael" -- although I'll have to spell-check that name. (Second choice: "Wish we were in Woolen")

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    If my memory is correct, eventually the State’s Attorney General had to issue some sort of finding that indicated that a prudently worded “code of conduct” would not violate individual free speech rights.
    Unfortunately, the students still think it is their right. Prior to the Duke football game, Dr. Loh sent out an email asking for the students to be respectful of Duke's team and fans. The students response was to disregard the email and for the student paper to run editorials in support of the current fan behavior and against the "infringement of the students' rights" that Dr. Loh was encouraging. Just remember not all of us are that obnoxious.

There may be wine stains on the manuscript, but I assure all that it is from a fine chardonnay.

I think I'll title the chapter: "Never should have left Carmichael" -- although I'll have to spell-check that name. (Second choice: "Wish we were in Woolen")
    Yeah, Woolen - Card with a swimming pool.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I hope you enjoy the venue in all its glory. The game, not so much.

We are always nice to our visitors, and have been since Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter. You can look that one up by doing a search here on the site or by doing a more extensive Google search. But I'll tell you this: Not one opposing player's parent has ever been hit with a water bottle thrown by a Duke student. And Coach K doesn't let the students chant obscenities or vulgarities at the opposing players or their relatives, unlike as has happened at some other schools and has been tolerated by their coaches and athletic directors (or former athletic directors who said "what can we do other than tell them to stop?".) The Cameron Crazies are loud, creative and incessant, but no player, coach or visiting fan should ever feel threatened physically by a Cameron Crazie. Mentally intimidated, yeah, hopefully!
    Great post, Ozzie! I was going to try to post the same thing, but you were much more articulate. I just hope the Maryland fan was able to read between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yeah, Woolen - Card with a swimming pool.
    Hey...Card had its swimming pool, too.

Bits or crumbles of cheese can leave a stain, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Bits or crumbles of cheese can leave a stain, too.
    A good friend of mine has a Wake affiliation, and last year he went to see them play at Cameron on a Saturday and then at Chapel Hill on a Wednesday. He said that the Carolina fans cheered when they should or when they were prodded, but that the Duke fans were going bananas the whole game. He thought the two experiences were light years apart.

I told him that any time there are folks wearing our school uniforms out on the court, it's when you "should" cheer for them. They're putting it out for us, we should reciprocate.

(Of course, his experience may be affected by the fact that we pasted Wake, and then Wake pasted Carolina at home).

I told him that any time there are folks wearing our school uniforms out on the court, it's when you "should" cheer for them. They're putting it out for us, we should reciprocate.
    I do not wish to reinitiate the Crusties or the student football attendance themes now, but I truly long for the day when the foregoing, exceptionally appropriate concepts of reciprocal support and pride are more-widely held by the current generation Duke students for our continuously improving football program!

Quote Originally Posted by terps84
    I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie
    Excellent post, and I thank you.
    Totally agreed. Thanks from me as well. The whole thing is much more fun when we treat each other like human beings.

How many of you have been to a non-Duke/UNC game at Comcast recently?

Here is the rundown of a typical non-Duke/UNC game, and especially non-conference games, from a fan who always sits in the student section:
    --Pretend to read the newspaper while the opposing team's starting line-up is called, say "sucks" after each player and coach is named
    --Jump, clap, and dance to "Zombie Nation." Cheer for each MD player and coach
    --Sing "Rock and Roll Pt 2" to the opposing team (band is prohibited from playing it)
    --Repeatedly sing and do hand motions to the MD fight song throughout the game
    --Make noise when the other team has possession or is taking free throws

I have not heard profanity from more than one individual at a time at a non-Duke/UNC game. I've seen security guards glare at and ask individuals to stop if they are cursing (which happens rarely, and is accompanied by the stench of alcohol). Unless you are offended by the usage of "sucks," which I know some people are and I'm not criticizing them, there isn't anything particularly unique or vile about this behavior. I also think some of you are overestimating the amount of times things get throw at fans. From my understanding this was much more common in the past. I saw someone attempt to throw something last year and immediately get ejected from the game.

MD fans are nastier against Duke-- this is not excusable and I am not justifying it or any individuals who get personal with Duke fans. I agree that Gary should take a more active role. I also realize I can only vouch for the area I sit in, which may be tamer than the other part of the student section. Just wanted to throw in a different perspective, though I know I will never win this argument on this board no matter what I say.

Will the bookstore at the Bryan Center be open on Sunday? If so, what are the hours?

Quote Originally Posted by jammsb View Post
    Will the bookstore at the Bryan Center be open on Sunday? If so, what are the hours?
    Yes, from 1pm to 7pm.

http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/hours/regular.php

I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday.
    I hope for this to be a wonderful experience for you (except for the game's outcome, of
    course). You're going to get to see a great basketball game between two outstanding programs played in the best basketball stadium on the planet. You'll soon get to see why Cameron Indoor Stadium and the Cameron Crazies are legendary.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pjhw2021 View Post
    How many of you have been to a non-Duke/UNC game at Comcast recently?

Here is the rundown of a typical non-Duke/UNC game, and especially non-conference games, from a fan who always sits in the student section:
    --Pretend to read the newspaper while the opposing team's starting line-up is called, say "sucks" after each player and coach is named
    --Jump, clap, and dance to "Zombie Nation." Cheer for each MD player and coach
    --Sing "Rock and Roll Pt 2" to the opposing team (band is prohibited from playing it)
    --Repeatedly sing and do hand motions to the MD fight song throughout the game
    --Make noise when the other team has possession or is taking free throws

I have not heard profanity from more than one individual at a time at a non-Duke/UNC game. I've seen security guards glare at and ask individuals to stop if they are cursing (which happens rarely, and is accompanied by the stench of alcohol). Unless you are offended by the usage of "sucks," which I know some people are and I'm not criticizing them, there isn't anything particularly unique or vile about this behavior. I also think some of you are overestimating the amount of times things get throw at fans. From my understanding this was much more common in the past. I saw someone attempt to throw something last year and immediately get ejected from the game.

MD fans are nastier against Duke-- this is not excusable and I am not justifying it or any individuals who get personal with Duke fans. I agree that Gary should take a more active role. I also realize I can only vouch for the area I sit in, which may be tamer than the other part of the student section. Just wanted to throw in a different perspective, though I know I will never win this argument on this board no matter what I say.
    Are the brazen, red and black "Duck Fuke" tee-shirts still widely worn when Duke plays in College Park? Just because a few letters are reversed doesn’t stop this from being obviously obscene and, of course, they demonstrate the character of many in the ComCast/Cole fan-base. I have never seen anything that approaches this in Cameron and, as several of us indicated earlier in this thread, I expect that Coach K and other senior University officials would NEVER permit such things to be perpetual.

In addition, since you specifically cited Duke and UNC, are you suggesting, “our aggregate conduct really isn’t so bad for most home games, we just violate generally held standards of behavior on special occasions?" Further, how about the several instances of post-game rioting and arson in College Park? If you feel so confident regarding the comportment of UMd students and fans, I challenge you to wear an obvious Duke sweatshirt to this year’s game at Maryland . . . and let us know the results.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 01-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.