Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very enjoyable thread. It takes something like this to remind us how fortunate we've been to have rarely missed a game in Cameron in 34 years.
    Love, Ima

There will be more students than you think at the game. Everyone at the Winter Forum is guaranteed to get in and will be strongly encouraged to go. Almost every sorority member will be back, as most sororities start their rush preparations on Sunday, and I imagine that a good number will show. A lot of tenters will be back for this game. Don't underestimate the student turnout - despite not being our rivals, Maryland is a good game that people want to come to, if for nothing else than to cheer "Sweat, Gary, sweat" a lot. Even without Grieivis, it's an ACC game 3 days before classes start. Undergrads will show. The grad students will be in full force.

I have been to venues at other ACC schools. Very very nice at UVA, and loved the new arena! Been to Miami, and the Miami fans were nice. Love the weather in Jan or Feb, vs cold weather here.
    Always had good experiences over at Wake or NcState. Southerners are kind and helpful, generally speaking.

Sometimes at UNC, you have a few obnoxious fans.... and I experienced that (especially when Duke wins over there). But never worried about safety issues! I would think people would have better sense...... It is a GAME, not the end of the world or a tragedy.

I have been to VaTech a few times. No safety issues there either! I was told to remove my car flags or magnets from my car... because some stupid Hokie Pokie might rip them off my car... and I did!!! No issues there!!!

However, there's a venue, just beyone the DC line.... and needless to say... I do not want to return!!!! Rude and Crude! I remember the Chants about JJ Redick, and references to his Family members. It was horrible and lewd. And JJ signs, that were very inappropriate, and not for a collegiate game, where families and children are present.

And the ACC 2005 tournament in DC... horrible horrible venue!!! The whole atmosphere there was uncomfortable. BUT DUKE WON!!!!

ACC tournaments should always be played in Greensboro... period!!!!

I hope the VENUE book goes well. I am sure you will be treated with respect and feel very safe on the Duke campus. Visit the Duke Chapel!!! And walk over to the Bryan Center, and go to the University Store!

And as always,

GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I hope you enjoy the venue in all its glory. The game, not so much.

We are always nice to our visitors, and have been since Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter. You can look that one up by doing a search here on the site or by doing a more extensive Google search. But I'll tell you this: Not one opposing player's parent has ever been hit with a water bottle thrown by a Duke student. And Coach K doesn't let the students chant obscenities or vulgarities at the opposing players or their relatives, unlike as has happened at some other schools and has been tolerated by their coaches and athletic directors (or former athletic directors who said "what can we do other than tell them to stop?".) The Cameron Crazies are loud, creative and incessant, but no player, coach or visiting fan should ever feel threatened physically by a Cameron Crazie. Mentally intimidated, yeah, hopefully!
    I fully agree with Ozzie. I live in the DC area, and have attended many games in College Park, as well as in Durham, during the last 35 years.

There is a substantial difference between fan intensity and creativity, when contrasted to felonious actions -- not to mention crude, uncivil, and boorish behavior. Duke fans can certainly be passionate, infuriating, and possibly overly-proud; however, their actions never endanger opponents and their supports nor are they truly criminal. In Cameron, you will NEVER observe a legion of highly obscene tee-shirts, or water bottles/batteries/coins being thrown at Duke fans/parents/alumni, or post-game rioting, or physical intimidation and assaults, or spitting on opposing fans.

In addition and critically, were ANY such things to occur, Coach K and Duke administrators would IMMEDIATELY ensure there was no repetition, whereas Coach Williams, Ms. Yow and other senior UMd officials obviously have tacitly encouraged such abhorrent -- and illegal -- behavior, by essentially “turning a blind eye” to them while publically posturing that they are inappropriate.

You will be welcomed at Duke as a member of a worthy ACC university community. It is honestly too bad that Dukies can never feel that way when they visit the College Park campus.

I know it is silly, but I am sure others felt the same way; I was a touch offended by the implication/tone of the original post, ESPECIALLY considering the source

I have always been very proud that Cameron is a place that ANYONE who loves basketball can enjoy the experience. As long as you are not an obnoxious jerk, you will enjoy the environment and game as much as anyone, because Duke fans of ALL people APPRECIATE loyalty to a team and enjoyment of the game.

You can bring little kids and grandmas to Cameron, and know they will have an amazing, and appropriate, experience. My entire dislike of the Terps is based on the fact that at their home arena it is EXACTLY the opposite, and I was a touch offended that a Terp would think that other fans behave that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I fully agree with Ozzie. In addition and critically, were ANY such things to occur, Coach K and Duke administrators would IMMEDIATELY ensure there was no repetition, whereas Coach Williams, Ms. Yow and other senior UMd officials obviously have tacitly encouraged such abhorrent -- and illegal -- behavior, by essentially “turning a blind eye” to them while publically posturing that they are inappropriate.

You will be welcomed at Duke as a member of a worthy ACC university community. It is honestly too bad that Dukies can never feel that way when they visit the College Park campus.
    AMEN!!!!! YOU cant feel safe at College Park!!! And you can't even enjoy the game! It's better, just to watch on TV, rather than try to make the trip to see Duke play. Turning a "Blind Eye" to such behavior is Unacceptable! That would NEVER happen on Duke campus. Or if it did, that person or people would be removed by Security, and probably not allowed back for quit some time.

Which, reminds me.... Which game was it that OLE ROY had the guy removed last season? (Ridiculous)... like Presbyterian or something like that. Then, that Fan, was at the DUKE UNC game (Senior Night, sitting directly across from Ole Roy and the Unc bench). Payback! Good move for the crazies!

The history of obnoxious behavior at Maryland began long ago. I went to a very memorable game in 1979 where a Duke student got into the Cole Field House before the game and rigged several Go Duke banners in the rafters. The banners unfurled during the introductions much to the amazement of the entire crowd. Priceless. However, I left the Field House covered in mustard and other crap for cheering for Duke.

I believe the same guy who hung those banners was the one who strung the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner across Wallace Wade during graduation while Uncle Terry spoke. Also priceless! I forgot the guy's name. Anyone remember?

Go Duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    I believe the same guy who hung those banners was the one who strung the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner across Wallace Wade during graduation while Uncle Terry spoke. Also priceless! I forgot the guy's name. Anyone remember?
    I could easily be wrong -- frequently I am -- but I believe the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner to which you refer was towed by a small, private aircraft over Wallace Wade during a May Commencement Ceremony, not suspended in the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by terps84 View Post
    I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans.
    It better be a l-o-n-g chapter...I'm just sayin'.

You sound nervous, relax terpsy! We love visitors! They're tasty!

I could easily be wrong -- frequently I am -- but I believe the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner to which you refer was towed by a small, private aircraft over Wallace Wade during a May Commencement Ceremony, not suspended in the stadium.
    Actually it is a common mistake to think that it was a plane. Even the Alumni magazine got it wrong.

Scroll down to Mark Steinman's letter "Prank Unfurled":

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/duk...06/depfor.html

Here's the the Archivist's response to the letter: "Tim Pyatt '81, University Archivist, responds: I greatly appreciate your correction (and now have it well documented in the archives) that it was fishing line and not a plane that made the 1979 commencement prank possible. Thanks for setting the record straight!"
    Last edited by fisheyes; 01-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Sorry to hijack a most worthwhile thread, but since we're talking about hijinks anyway I can finally post a picture I alluded to long ago proving the rumor about Phi Psi brothers and pledges putting Mickey Mouse on the clock tower back in the late 70's.

I submit, for your viewing pleasure (click on the picture to enlarge it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

"I hear they have good barbecue in Durham but I'm a vegetarian so really can't say."

I am sorry. There is no such thing as a vegetarian Kentucky fan so this must be a goof

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Actually it is a common mistake to think that it was a plane. Even the Alumni magazine got it wrong.
    http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/duk...06/depret.html

By golly, you are correct. If you go to the aforecited URL, you can access the photograph -- cropped -- that makes it appear that a small aircraft towed the “Go to Hell Carolina” banner over Commencement in Wallace Wade. Unfortunately, I could not paste that image into this response. I also recall the Duke Magazine’s brief piece indicating airplane towing, which stated: "In 1979, to the amusement of those on stage and the delight of the students, a plane flew over Wallace Wade during the ceremony trailing a banner with the phrase".

Thanks for the accurate update!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Sorry to hijack a most worthwhile thread, but since we're talking about hijinks anyway I can finally post a picture I alluded to long ago proving the rumor about Phi Psi brothers and pledges putting Mickey Mouse on the clock tower back in the late 70's.

I submit, for your viewing pleasure (click on the picture to enlarge it)
    Loved that one. For the record, is was in early spring, 1979 (my freshman year.) I was walking towards the Union from House CC, under the clocktower, and wondered why there were so many people looking up.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    AMEN!!!!! YOU cant feel safe at College Park!!! And you can't even enjoy the game! It's better, just to watch on TV, rather than try to make the trip to see Duke play. Turning a "Blind Eye" to such behavior is Unacceptable! That would NEVER happen on Duke campus. Or if it did, that person or people would be removed by Security, and probably not allowed back for quit some time.

Which, reminds me.... Which game was it that OLE ROY had the guy removed last season? (Ridiculous)... like Presbyterian or something like that. Then, that Fan, was at the DUKE UNC game (Senior Night, sitting directly across from Ole Roy and the Unc bench). Payback! Good move for the crazies!
    Having been to most of the ACC campuses/venues, I consider Duke the "safest" for opposing fans, both with the attitude of spectators, and the actions of the ushers/security. Chapel Hill is close, and ranking them below Duke is probably only due to being a Duke grad. Both schools' event staff (volunteers and paid security) takes the job seriously, and doesn't allow out-of-the-line behavior.

Clemson's never been a problem, either. (I suspect that if I were a Gamecock fan, the reactions might be different.) NC State used to be a problem in Reynolds, with a lot of the problems due to the arena staff. In the RBC center (and Carter-Finley) it's much better, and even though we lost and they rushed the floor, I didn't have a problem there last year.

(An aside about the two NC schools. At State probably around 1990 or so, Valvano's team beat us, and they rushed the court. Students ran over to the Duke section behind the bench, and started threatening us (mainly Coach K's family at the game.) One prominent member of the group asked ushers for help, and the ushers response was "too bad, you're on your own." Last time that person went to a game in Reynolds, thanks to the lack of security. At UNC a couple of years later, in Grant's senior year, they also beat us late, rushed the floor, and one student in particular started running towards the Duke section. An usher cross-checked that student into the bench area (ie, trying to keep him away from taunting the Duke fans). The student, stunned, tried to hide from the usher, and found the biggest, best blocker in the area, which was Calvin Hill, and "hid" behind him. The usher finally grabbed the student and started taking him away. By this time, the UNC crowd noticed the commotion, saw it involved Calvin and started booing him, figuring it was something he did. I think this illustrated the difference in crowd control and protection for visiting fans that the two schools provided.)

I haven't been to UVA or Virginia Tech recently enough to be able to judge, however my understanding from reports is that Blacksburg is no fun, and ranks closer to Maryland than UNC on the scale. FSU, last time I was there, which was when Wojo was playing, didn't care much about the game or their team to be a problem. Wake, I'm surprised with the Baptists' language, but haven't felt unsafe there.

Maryland is the only arena that I did not feel safe enough to wear anything blue or with a Duke logo for a men's game, and I took my Duke alumni sticker off my car. (I did wear a Duke shirt for a women's bball game last time I was there in the Comcast Center.)

Perhaps the OP might consider wearing Duke apparel and sitting in the visitors section at the Duke/MD game in college park on 2/2...and writing up that experience in the book.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It better be a l-o-n-g chapter...I'm just sayin'.

You sound nervous, relax terpsy! We love visitors! They're tasty!
    [/]

Well done in food vernacular as well as done well in the posting verbiage.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 01-04-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

My niece graduated from Maryland, I don't hold that against her She has offered me tickets to the Duke game several times but I would rather watch it from the saftey of my home.
    I have attended several games at both Duke Northern campuses & have never encountered a problem.
    Attending a game at CSI is on my bucket list along with attending a game at Dodger Stadium & going to a taping of Top Gear.
    One quick question: can the new Yankee Stadium be considered iconic?

I haven't been to a game at Cameron for years. The last tickets I managed to snare were those for Grant Hill's last home game. Unfortunately we lost to the Tar Heels. The things I remember vividly are hundreds of students in Duke gear waiting for the Carolina bus and shouting in complete synchronization "Go to Hell Carolina" as they got off the bus and a group of Duke students dressing and looking like Grant's dad Calvin wearing the turtlenecks he wore to every game.
    I have tickets to Sunday night's Maryland game. For an almost seventy year old I couldn't be more excited. A friend of a friend got me the tickets. Is the bookstore in the Bryan Center open on Sunday? If so, I'll get there early and get lots of memorabilia for the grandkids.

terps, I have not been to the new hall of fame adjacent to Cameron yet but a non-Duke pal of mine was just up there and said it was worth seeing.

Have a great time.

P.S. I can write the chapter on the Dean Dome if you want. I'll send it directly to the publisher to save time . . . .