Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Aaron Johnson is a pretty quick little guard. I wonder if Tyler will get some minutes defending the little guy? We might see Nolan, Seth, and Tyler taking turns trying to slow Aaron down.
    Well, we might, but probably not for more than a minute or two unless we're blowing them out (which I don't necessarily expect to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

I hope we beat them by 30 and play the starters 40 minutes.
    I understand there is some tough history between Duke and Mike Davis, but allowing one moment to define him as a "punk" is immature. Davis was an assistant at Indiana for Coach Knight, and I am sure he is a good man and better coach than we give him credit for. Would Knight have hired him if otherwise?

Secondly Davis has some serious basketball chops. He did great at Indiana in an impossible situation following Knight. Firing Davis was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from. He has taken over a UAB program and done a great job with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Firing Davis was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.
    Firing Knight was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Firing Knight was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.
    Yes and no. Knight deserved to coach for life at IU if he wanted to, but he didn't get past the second round of the NCAA's in his last 6 years at Indiana. He didn't finish better than tie-2nd in his division in that time, and was more often t-3rd or worse.

Davis' first three years coaching at IU were better than Knights last three years, record wise and in the tournament. Davis had a couple of down years but his program was improving when he was fired.

I don't think Knight should have been fired, but they had immediate success under Davis and they should have let his contract run its course (two more years) before making an evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I agree, I don't think we'll be looking ahead to Maryland by any means. Though they are more of our rival, there is nothing that indicates Maryland would be a stiffer challenge than UAB.
    Well here's something to indicate that MD is tougher than UAB: KenPom has UMD at #13 vs UAB at #66.

Last night at the girls game vs Kentucky ( GREAT WIN LADIES... Jas was clutch)... the UAB team, and staff came into Cameron during the last 10 minutes of regulation play in the Girls game. They were sitting to my left. I was sitting behind the Duke bench on the padded bleachers.

After the game, the security cleared Cameron very quickly so UAB could get a practice in last night after 930pm.

I spoke to some of the staff. And welcomed them to Cameron and Duke. And they confirmed they were practicing last night. UAB dressed in Emerald Green warmups.

See everyone tonight at the Duke UAB game, and wear your DUKE BLUE!!!!

And as Always,

GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Last night at the girls game vs Kentucky ( GREAT WIN LADIES... Jas was clutch)... the UAB team, and staff came into Cameron during the last 10 minutes of regulation play in the Girls game. They were sitting to my left. I was sitting behind the Duke bench on the padded bleachers.

After the game, the security cleared Cameron very quickly so UAB could get a practice in last night after 930pm.

I spoke to some of the staff. And welcomed them to Cameron and Duke. And they confirmed they were practicing last night. UAB dressed in Emerald Green warmups.

See everyone tonight at the Duke UAB game, and wear your DUKE BLUE!!!!

And as Always,

GO DUKE!!!
    Thanks for clarifying - I was wondering who those guys in green were!

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    This game is a classic definition of a "trap game." A non-conference game between two of Duke's toughest conference rivals the past few years. UAB has quality wins, a great coach (sorry to the Mike Davis detractors) and good balance anchored by a strong forward combo and great PG. They are good at shooting 3's, but they aren't perimeter oriented as they have a 17ppg big man and another 17ppg wing man. They also have been getting good bench production.

I hope Duke thrashes them, but I will be comfortable with any victory that doesn't cause a heart-attack. I want Duke to be tested some more before conference play takes over.

you are correct-a-mundo monsignor bear.......i'm sure K will have the team on their toes, hopefully we won't get caught looking down the road...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

I hope we beat them by 30 and play the starters 40 minutes.
    I'd rather beat them by 30 without the starters having to play in the second half, but I think I know what you're saying.

Is Len Elmore on crack? Did he seriously think that was a charge????
    Maybe I'm the one that's messed up.

The defender fell underneath Nolan...I saw no shoulder-dipping or pushing off with his elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post

The defender fell underneath Nolan...I saw no shoulder-dipping or pushing off with his elbow.
    Forgot to add, looks like that charge call has sparked Nolan again!!!

Nolan has come to play!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen a Duke player (Nolan) play at this high of a level since JJ Redick!

Nolan's rollin!

Congrats on 2,000 points, Kyle!

Jumping out to a 26-4 lead there was just delightful to watch.

New strategy: have Nolan pick up an offensive foul early on every game from here on out.

Trap? Not so much.

Zowee!!!

Kyle

I posted earlier this season that Singler struggles putting the ball on the floor out on the perimeter but he's really improved over the last few games making some good drives and dishes. He really looks like a complete wing/forward now.

Nice drive by Mason too and made the ft!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post

Sorry but it's offensive when you raise your arm into the defender's chest. That's about the 4th-5th one of those Nolan has gotten this year. Bad habit picked up from summer pickup games...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Sorry but it's offensive when you raise your arm into the defender's chest. That's about the 4th-5th one of those Nolan has gotten this year. Bad habit picked up from summer pickup games...
    I didn't see him raise his arm in to the chest...I think his arm did hit the defender's chest, BUT it was a result of having his feet taken out from underneath him, so to me that happened after the foul occurred.

I need to see it again, but I'll still think it's a block.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I posted earlier this season that Singler struggles putting the ball on the floor out on the perimeter but he's really improved over the last few games making some good drives and dishes. He really looks like a complete wing/forward now.

Nice drive by Mason too and made the ft!
    His shot fakes are ridiculous! The one that he had at the top of the key to shake the defender was top notch!