Player's Staying in Draft

It is almost crunch time for the NBA draft decisions. I wanted to start a post to track, and comment on, the decisions.

Green is reportedly staying in. This doesn't help G-Town, but they have some solid recruits/players in place, so they might be fine, and be really dangerous, come NCAA tourney time. Any team with a dominant 7 footer in the post will always be dangerous.

G-Tech is losing Young, and probably Crittendon. This is devastating. Hewitt's run to the FF back in 03 is begining to look really fluke-ish, rather than an indicator that the program was on the rise. He can recruit, but he is not winning in the limited window presented by elite recruits. Young was a slight dissappointment as a frosh, and he is still going pro after 1 year. Crittendon was slightly better than advertised, and is going pro, which should not come as a complete shock to GT fans. 6-5, athletic PGs with developing skills are always a threat to go pro. GT goes from being a top 4 ACC team and tourney lock with Crit and Young, to being a bottom 4 ACC club with no real NIT hopes without them. Getting Aminu will help GT on a going forward basis, but at some point, and soon, GT's fan base will have to question if Hewitt is the answer at Tech. They are developing a bad habit of underachieving.

Marquette is getting back James, in one of the smartest decisions going. Yes, it will force him back for his Sr year given how loaded next year is at the PG slot. But, it will force him to fix his shot while keeping Marquette one of the elite teams in the Big East next year. A strong run will help both player and program long term.

I do not know of any other decisions, but here is a place to post and discuss to our hearts' content.

Patrick Yates

Jeff Green has been driving HoyaNation crazy by keeping quiet all this time. Neither he nor the school had made an announcement as of an hour ago, but all the media outlets were quoting a "source close to . . . " as saying he's gone. Maybe they have confirmed by now.

Hoyas still have tons of talent next year. I think they will look pretty different without him, though - the offense pretty much went through him.

Spencer Hawes

Not that I'm much of a Huskies fan, but it was big news out here this morning that freshman center, Spencer Hawes, is staying in the draft.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbaske...5_hawes19.html

word on the street is milwaukee's DBR mock management is very excited that green might be available when they draft...

Georgetown will be much better than fine. Green was a key player but they have really great depth at the forward positions, they can afford to lose him more than Hibbert. They should be very seriously in the national title hunt.

Big Loser

Georgia Tech is the big loser with the departure of Javaris Crittenton. They could absorb the loss of Thad Young and keep moving forward, but JC going pro is a big blow.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Not that I'm much of a Huskies fan, but it was big news out here this morning that freshman center, Spencer Hawes, is staying in the draft.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbaske...5_hawes19.html
    This is the second best Spencer Hawes news I've ever heard. The best news was when he picked UDUB over UNC.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Cook is in

Daequan Cook from Ohio State is staying in the draft. I do not think that he is anywhere near ready to play in the NBA. He is terribly inconsistent, has some real lapses on the floor mentally and defensively, and his shot went all but flat. He started off as the top freshman at OSU this year and finished riding the pine for the most part.

One more year and he is a top 8 pick in all probability. The situation is kind of reminiscent of Maggette leaving after the 1999 championship game, except Maggette was a better player.

My understanding is that the Cook family has some serious financial need that may be pushing him to the draft a year or two early.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My understanding is that the Cook family has some serious financial need that may be pushing him to the draft a year or two early.

ive heard that too, but entering too early can hurt him in the long run. If cook goes where he is projected to (late first) he will go to a good team and he will not get that much money (from the contracts) which wont help his family. he will probably spend a few years in the NBADL (National Basketball Assocaition Development League) and if that doesnt work out (which i dont believe it will) he will be the next "bust". now, if he can fine tune his mechanics, get better mentally, bulk up a bit, and be more consistent, then i can see this move working, but i think too much is being asked of him for him to succeed (please dont let Detroit pick him )

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonsfan13 View Post
    If cook goes where he is projected to (late first) he will go to a good team and he will not get that much money (from the contracts) which wont help his family.
    If he makes it into the late first round, he will earn at least $2.5 million in guaranteed contracts over the next three years. Where I come from, that's a lot of money, and if managed and spent wisely, could go a long way to easing a family's financial troubles.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    If he makes it into the late first round, he will earn at least $2.5 million in guaranteed contracts over the next three years. Where I come from, that's a lot of money, and if managed and spent wisely, could go a long way to easing a family's financial troubles.

well it all depends. is he talking about his immediate family or his entire family? it also depends on the size, (i made it sound like his entire family, and that is it huge but i dont know)

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Georgetown will be much better than fine. Green was a key player but they have really great depth at the forward positions, they can afford to lose him more than Hibbert. They should be very seriously in the national title hunt.
    Ypu probably are right. However, Green made so, so many decisions, most of them startlingly good, on offense, it is difficult to say that Hibbert will make Georgetown better than Green would have. Green was the best post player, cog through whom the Princeton has ever been run, Chris Webber included. On the other hand, Hibbert could be the first offensive-force big in the history of Georgetown.