One nice thing about the dearth of games in the last month

You know... after Kyrie's injury, I was a bit bummed out.

This season was basically the opposite of last... rather than a historic season sort of "sneaking up" on me, the 2010-11 season was one that I had been waiting for since Haywood's shot clanged off the rim... eagerly watching every clip, every highlight... debating myself about who would average more points, Dre or Seth... considering exactly how dominant Mason would be... looking forward to Kyle and Nolan's final season... and, of course, eagerly anticipating the arrival of Kyrie Irving.

First eight games were GREAT. Some dominant performances, some performances to grow on... but over it all, something of a... well, not a pall, but hovering over it all were these giant expectations... like every game didn't matter... in the end, it was just the last game that mattered.

And then Kyrie's injury hit, and I'll be honest, my taste for basketball took a hit as well.

It was just SUCH a blow to my Duke-basketball-loving heart... to see the most talented freshman I've ever seen wearing a Duke uniform beginning what looked to be a historic season... and bam. Possibly done. When news of "Uh oh, this is serious, might be the season/Duke career" I almost didn't want to watch basketball... it felt almost too much, after SUCH anticipation.

But now, with SO few games to watch over the last month, my thirst for basketball has built back up. I have missed it SO very much, with so few games, and it has really helped revive my anticipation and excitement for basketball.

So! Bring on the beginning of the SERIOUS basketball season, where we have non-stop games. Bring back Kyle and Nolan. Bring on Seth and Dre. Bring on the Plumbros and Ryan Kelly, Tyler and Josh. And Kyrie, when you can get back to us, we'll be here waiting.

Well said..

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    You know... after Kyrie's injury, I was a bit bummed out.

This season was basically the opposite of last... rather than a historic season sort of "sneaking up" on me, the 2010-11 season was one that I had been waiting for since Haywood's shot clanged off the rim... eagerly watching every clip, every highlight... debating myself about who would average more points, Dre or Seth... considering exactly how dominant Mason would be... looking forward to Kyle and Nolan's final season... and, of course, eagerly anticipating the arrival of Kyrie Irving.

First eight games were GREAT. Some dominant performances, some performances to grow on... but over it all, something of a... well, not a pall, but hovering over it all were these giant expectations... like every game didn't matter... in the end, it was just the last game that mattered.

And then Kyrie's injury hit, and I'll be honest, my taste for basketball took a hit as well.

It was just SUCH a blow to my Duke-basketball-loving heart... to see the most talented freshman I've ever seen wearing a Duke uniform beginning what looked to be a historic season... and bam. Possibly done. When news of "Uh oh, this is serious, might be the season/Duke career" I almost didn't want to watch basketball... it felt almost too much, after SUCH anticipation.

But now, with SO few games to watch over the last month, my thirst for basketball has built back up. I have missed it SO very much, with so few games, and it has really helped revive my anticipation and excitement for basketball.

So! Bring on the beginning of the SERIOUS basketball season, where we have non-stop games. Bring back Kyle and Nolan. Bring on Seth and Dre. Bring on the Plumbros and Ryan Kelly, Tyler and Josh. And Kyrie, when you can get back to us, we'll be here waiting.
    I can't believe that little drop step did SOOO much damage to Kyrie...And you are so right about one thing....Kyrie is the best freshman that has ever dawned a Duke jersey. He was a blessing to every fan who has seen our recruits "not pan out" in the last few years. For all of us who talked smack to other fans about Greg Paulus being the best guard in the country!! YOU JUST WAIT....Ya, we are all still waiting for that one It felt like Murphys Law just jacked us right in the jajoojum (Flint Tropics..Jackie Moon..Semi-Pro??) Well, anyways... It hurt bad. I cant believe FINALLY we get the #1 recruit...HE CHOSE US!! NOT Memphis, or UNC ,and Gtown, or (here comes that jajoojum throw up...) Kenyucky...WE, DUKE...GOT HIM!!! 8yr old Nicaraguans..start up the sewing machines...get the Repeat shirts ready, and make room for another banner and trophy!! WOO HOO!!! But suddenly that was all gone (just for a second ppl) We saw this AMAZING kid..on and off the court...go down And it just didnt make sense. Forget us for a second... Kyrie has been a good person. HE didnt deserve this!! The last few games have been "fun" to watch but it hasn't had the same feel that first 8 did...I couldnt agree more tho...9 days between games will change that!! My gf and I were driving to work this morning...and I live in Des Moines, IA... and I said out loud..GO DUKE!! She laughed and excitedly asked if they finally played tonight??!! YES THEY DO!! We both got super excited and it made my day that much better!! Im back!! COME ON ACC PLAY!!! COME ON UNC GREENSBORO!! I LOVE our players that we have and LOVE Kyrie that much more..He'll be back..either this year or next...but in the meantime, GO KYLE, NOLAN, SETH, DRE, MASON, MILES, JOSH, TYLER, RYAN, TODD, AND CASEY!!!! WIN WIN WIN AND GET OUR BELOVED COACH HIS 880TH AND POLE VAULT HIM PAST DEAN & HIS MENTOR THIS YEAR!!! GO DUKE!!!!!

It's funny, I have had similar feelings but for different reasons. While Kyrie's injury has really bummed me out, it seemed like the program was riding such a ridiculous wave of good fortune that a major curve ball was bound to happen...and did it ever.

My feeling is more that, even without Kyrie, we are so good and the ACC seems to be so bad that I have not been looking forward to the conference season as much as in years past because it doesn't feel like we're going to be challenged enough to really improve.
    In some ways, we're so good that I just want to get to March and take our shot.

BUT...then I remember that nothing is a given, that this team needs to rediscover itself without Kyrie, that we only have a precious few games left to watch Nolan and Kyle and who knows who else and that the memories of a season happen game by game. With that, I am ready for tonight, for conference play, for all of it.

Talking I Hope It's Not Koolaid

Quote Originally Posted by smcook313 View Post
    I can't believe that little drop step did SOOO much damage to Kyrie...And you are so right about one thing....Kyrie is the best freshman that has ever dawned a Duke jersey. He was a blessing to every fan who has seen our recruits "not pan out" in the last few years. For all of us who talked smack to other fans about Greg Paulus being the best guard in the country!! YOU JUST WAIT....Ya, we are all still waiting for that one It felt like Murphys Law just jacked us right in the jajoojum (Flint Tropics..Jackie Moon..Semi-Pro??) Well, anyways... It hurt bad. I cant believe FINALLY we get the #1 recruit...HE CHOSE US!! NOT Memphis, or UNC ,and Gtown, or (here comes that jajoojum throw up...) Kenyucky...WE, DUKE...GOT HIM!!! 8yr old Nicaraguans..start up the sewing machines...get the Repeat shirts ready, and make room for another banner and trophy!! WOO HOO!!! But suddenly that was all gone (just for a second ppl) We saw this AMAZING kid..on and off the court...go down And it just didnt make sense. Forget us for a second... Kyrie has been a good person. HE didnt deserve this!! The last few games have been "fun" to watch but it hasn't had the same feel that first 8 did...I couldnt agree more tho...9 days between games will change that!! My gf and I were driving to work this morning...and I live in Des Moines, IA... and I said out loud..GO DUKE!! She laughed and excitedly asked if they finally played tonight??!! YES THEY DO!! We both got super excited and it made my day that much better!! Im back!! COME ON ACC PLAY!!! COME ON UNC GREENSBORO!! I LOVE our players that we have and LOVE Kyrie that much more..He'll be back..either this year or next...but in the meantime, GO KYLE, NOLAN, SETH, DRE, MASON, MILES, JOSH, TYLER, RYAN, TODD, AND CASEY!!!! WIN WIN WIN AND GET OUR BELOVED COACH HIS 880TH AND POLE VAULT HIM PAST DEAN & HIS MENTOR THIS YEAR!!! GO DUKE!!!!!
    Hey, bartender! I'll have whatever he's having.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    How about a glass of Mason going for 20/10 tonight! Thats something we have all been craving for sometime now.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Make mine a double...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It's funny, I have had similar feelings but for different reasons. While Kyrie's injury has really bummed me out, it seemed like the program was riding such a ridiculous wave of good fortune that a major curve ball was bound to happen...and did it ever.

My feeling is more that, even without Kyrie, we are so good and the ACC seems to be so bad that I have not been looking forward to the conference season as much as in years past because it doesn't feel like we're going to be challenged enough to really improve.
    In some ways, we're so good that I just want to get to March and take our shot.

BUT...then I remember that nothing is a given, that this team needs to rediscover itself without Kyrie, that we only have a precious few games left to watch Nolan and Kyle and who knows who else and that the memories of a season happen game by game. With that, I am ready for tonight, for conference play, for all of it.
    This is too true. I really hope that the ACC play picks up a little bit for our improvement needs. Its like we'll have little pieces of quality play from each team. Delaney and Scott will help our guards get used to quick play of elite guards. Singleton, Gibson and Williams will help our bigs out. And I really hope UNC puts up the fight and game we've all come to love. The only improvement we must have is our bigs play. Duke is the elite of the country and I believe do deserve the #1 ranking hands down. We all know our guard position, even without Kyrie, has the most depth and 3 of them can light it up for 30 on any given night. Our bigs need to see what teams like Ohio St and Kansas can bring. The bigs we've played do date havent been that true low post threat. They have been shooters. The Morris twins also can shoot but their low post play is powerful. I dont think I even need to talk about Sullinger. I strongly believe Mason and Miles can mimic their play. They have all the talent (Mason for sure) that it will take to bring home the title, they just have to start bangin down low. They have to quit missing assignments on weak side switches, they have to start boxin out and most importantly they need to trust their post moves. 2 games a week will help alot so Im with you, bring on the grind!

Talking In Them Thar Hills

Quote Originally Posted by smcook313 View Post
    How about a glass of Mason going for 20/10 tonight! Thats something we have all been craving for sometime now.
    How about a Mason Jar of high-octane hooch? Hey, this in North Carolina, isn't it?

sagegrouse