Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Herbie's right Tyrell has a lot of early Michael Vick in him. I wish he would grow up in a hurry and start acting like present day Michael Vick.

NCAA allowed those items to be given to the players -- they're gifts or prizes, right? Once the items become personal property, don't the people have the right to do whatever they want with them? By their logic, I could see the NCAA busting a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    NCAA allowed those items to be given to the players -- they're gifts or prizes, right? Once the items become personal property, don't the people have the right to do whatever they want with them? By their logic, I could see the NCAA busting a garage sale.
    The explanation I heard is the rule goes back a way, and was designed to prevent a player selling some item to a booster, for example, for an amount far in excess of reasonable value. A jersey worth $200 being sold for $2500, that type of thing. And that such a practice would be a benefit not available to a regular student, even one receiving a full scholarship.

They should all change their name to Cam Newton. Then there would be no suspensions.

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    I think this is stupid. And in fact, it makes me a little angry. There is zero understanding on my side for how these guys are allowed to play in the bowl game. If I wasn't done before this with the NCAA and how they handle college football, I am now. It seems like complete and total hypocrisy.
    it's all about money...not right and wrong....

It seems to me that the 4 letter name controlling college sports in not NCAA it

is ESPN.

Look who wants to watch Oregon-TCU for the NC. So keep let Newton play.

What are the ratings for Ohio State without the star quarterback? So let Pryor play.

Now USC is on the West Coast which presents ESPN with time zone problems. And the Pac 10 (12) has a tie in with Fox. Throw the book at them.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I would think athletes on scholarships would still qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans...does anyone know for a fact that this is untrue? If they do qualify they can get $5,500 their freshman year, $6,500 their sophomore year, and $7,500 for all subsequent years with a maximum of $31,000 from all years combined.

I'm going this route and I'll only be making 30-50k tops in my career, don't see why I should feel bad that athletes would have to take out loans as well so long as there's no NCAA rule against it.
    If not unsubsidized Stafford loans, a student athlete could always take out a private student loan. Those loans are horrible, but to be honest, I had to take out a private loan for housing costs after an illness in my immediate family rendered a change in my family's financial situation.
    My point is, there is money available for college student D1 athletes to pay for living expenses, regardless of their situation. It just depends on what route that individual must take; just like any other student. If that student athlete is prospected to be drafted as a pro, they already have it significantly easier then the above average college graduate to pay their debts... Just my opinion.
    To tie-in with this thread, yes, I do think the NCAA does punish incosistently and in a manner that will not effect their cash flow. I believe that the way college football is set up is actually "one big wet rag being squeezed for every drop of water". What occured recently with Ohio State is a prime example.

Here is a good link on the spineless nature of the NCAA from Pat Forde or ESPN.

So there you have it, future NCAA rules breakers of America (and your parents). Go for the gold. When you get caught, shrug and say, "Why, I had no idea." Blame it on your dad and/or a negligent compliance staff at your university.
    There is a very interesting part of the article where he talks about the stuff that Pryor and other players sold.

If they had a full appreciation of what it means to play for Ohio State, and to play in a bowl, and to be part of a tradition much larger than themselves, they wouldn't have sold what they sold. The championship rings would mean too much. So would the gold pants, which are small jewelry awards given to every Buckeye for beating Michigan.

I've seen Ohio State players wearing their gold pants proudly on necklaces. I've heard them talk about what those trinkets mean.

To Pryor and Thomas, they meant one thing: cash on the flash.
    --Jason "what fools the NCAA will look like when Pryor and these other guys bolt for the pros" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Players coming back next season

Tressel told the players they wouldn't be allowed to participate in the Sugar Bowl if they didn't vow to come back next season. He says it was an effort to make sure they didn't "skirt the consequences," but sounds like to me he just bribed them to forego the NBA draft to have a better team next season! Would he actually have any power to do anything if the players changed their mind and decided to go to the NFL? I can't help feeling suspicious of Tressel's true intentions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...g=ap-sugarbowl

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    If the NFL were as transparently gutless as the NCAA, they'd suspend Brett Favre for the duration of training camp.
    Well, they ended up fining him $50k for not cooperating with the investigation. Not sure how that compares.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-30-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: never mind

The Latest on the Unfathomable fromr the Hypocrites

Evidently Tressel has gotten the Ohio State 5 to verbally commit to coming back next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls1...ory?id=5970169

The NCAA has issued a statement on its web site trying to show that money had nothing to do with their decision.
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ules+decisions

In my opinion this is a curious and misleading statement.

The Cam Newton aspect is curious. If Cecil Newton had been successful in getting money for his son's services, then Cam would have been suspended. So I guess their is no penalty for attempted payoff, just for payoff. The NCAA says:
    "Put simply, had Cam Newton's father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge." Evidently the NCAA is trying to clarify "recruiting and amateurism rules when benefits or money are solicited (but not received)"

The statement about the NCAA not getting money is misleading. The NCAA has a vested interest in high ratings and lucrative TV contracts. If ABC/ESPN and the advertisers take a bath in the NC game and/or the Sugar Bowl, then the NCAA will eventually be damaged. It is in the NCAA's best financial interest to have Auburn and not TCU in the NC game. It is in the NCAA's best financial interest to have Ohio State at full strength with their star qb for the Sugar Bowl. The NCAA took care if its broadcast partner, ABC/ESPN and I am sure expects ESPN to take care of the NCAA.

Lastly the NCAA points to a policy adopted in 2004 for "student-athlete reinstatement for NCAA championships and bowl games." Of course the Ohio State five have not been suspended so how can they be reinstated? There is no mention of any precedent.

I am pretty certain that they NCAA will show how really tough they are by throwing out USC's appeal. Of course, USC is in the Pac 10 and their games are on Fox.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Tressel told the players they wouldn't be allowed to participate in the Sugar Bowl if they didn't vow to come back next season. He says it was an effort to make sure they didn't "skirt the consequences," but sounds like to me he just bribed them to forego the NBA draft to have a better team next season! Would he actually have any power to do anything if the players changed their mind and decided to go to the NFL? I can't help feeling suspicious of Tressel's true intentions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...g=ap-sugarbowl

Well, they ended up fining him $50k for not cooperating with the investigation. Not sure how that compares.
    Bluedog, I hope they do enter the NBA draft. They will not be selected. Wonder what that would do for their football elibility, lol. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Evidently Tressel has gotten the Ohio State 5 to verbally commit to coming back next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls1...ory?id=5970169

The NCAA has issued a statement on its web site trying to show that money had nothing to do with their decision.
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ules+decisions

In my opinion this is a curious and misleading statement.

The Cam Newton aspect is curious. If Cecil Newton had been successful in getting money for his son's services, then Cam would have been suspended. So I guess their is no penalty for attempted payoff, just for payoff. The NCAA says:
    "Put simply, had Cam Newton's father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge." Evidently the NCAA is trying to clarify "recruiting and amateurism rules when benefits or money are solicited (but not received)"

The statement about the NCAA not getting money is misleading. The NCAA has a vested interest in high ratings and lucrative TV contracts. If ABC/ESPN and the advertisers take a bath in the NC game and/or the Sugar Bowl, then the NCAA will eventually be damaged. It is in the NCAA's best financial interest to have Auburn and not TCU in the NC game. It is in the NCAA's best financial interest to have Ohio State at full strength with their star qb for the Sugar Bowl. The NCAA took care if its broadcast partner, ABC/ESPN and I am sure expects ESPN to take care of the NCAA.

Lastly the NCAA points to a policy adopted in 2004 for "student-athlete reinstatement for NCAA championships and bowl games." Of course the Ohio State five have not been suspended so how can they be reinstated? There is no mention of any precedent.

I am pretty certain that they NCAA will show how really tough they are by throwing out USC's appeal. Of course, USC is in the Pac 10 and their games are on Fox.

SoCal
    Yeah, the thing about the NCAA not making money doesn't quite sit with me. So its the NCAA's member institutions making money, not the NCAA. Is that a meaningful distinction?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Bluedog, I hope they do enter the NBA draft. They will not be selected. Wonder what that would do for their football elibility, lol. Go Duke!
    hahahaha. Sorry about that. My mind is always on basketball, I suppose.

Not one of my OSU friends think these five will play in their bowl game; Tressel wouldn't let them because of everything he stands for.

The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life shares Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel's “Big Ten” fundamentals for success: Attitude, Discipline, Faith, Handling Adversity & Success, Excellence, Love, Toughness, Responsibility, Team, and Hope.
    ~rthomas

Are they at practice?

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Not one of my OSU friends think these five will play in their bowl game; Tressel wouldn't let them because of everything he stands for.

The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life shares Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel's “Big Ten” fundamentals for success: Attitude, Discipline, Faith, Handling Adversity & Success, Excellence, Love, Toughness, Responsibility, Team, and Hope.
    The one thing Tressel should do is try to win the game with the players he is going to play. So I would guess if the 5 are practicing then they are playing.

SoCal

The one thing Tressel should do is try to win the game with the players he is going to play. So I would guess if the 5 are practicing then they are playing.
    From the ESPN article linked above--

Tressel says their playing time against the Razorbacks will hinge only on how they practice and fit into the game plan.
    Sounds like they are practicing and will play their normal role in the game.

Pathetic.

--Jason "best part of this story-- among the items Pryor sold: his 2009 Fiesta Bowl Sportsmanship Award... irony anyone?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    From the ESPN article linked above--

Sounds like they are practicing and will play their normal role in the game.

Pathetic.

--Jason "best part of this story-- among the items Pryor sold: his 2009 Fiesta Bowl Sportsmanship Award... irony anyone?" Evans
    What is also pathetic is the NCAA trying to explain their decision.

Certainly Ohio State informed the players that they were not to receive money from boosters. They sell trophies that they got from playing football to boosters. Somehow the NCAA decides that since they were not told explicitly that they could not sell trophies etc. so the punishment should start next year. Then they tack on an extra game next year because the players did not come forward once they were told. Of course the NCAA wants you to believe that this has nothing to do with Sugar Bowl ratings for ESPN this year.

I am not sure what I think Tressel should do. On one hand it would be great if he said he did not care what the NCAA says, by his standards they don't get to play in the next game which happens to be the Sugar Bowl. On the other hand, missing the Sugar Bowl and then 5 games is pretty severe and this is kind of an NCAA decision.

SoCal

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    What is also pathetic is the NCAA trying to explain their decision.

Certainly Ohio State informed the players that they were not to receive money from boosters. They sell trophies that they got from playing football to boosters. Somehow the NCAA decides that since they were not told explicitly that they could not sell trophies etc. so the punishment should start next year. Then they tack on an extra game next year because the players did not come forward once they were told. Of course the NCAA wants you to believe that this has nothing to do with Sugar Bowl ratings for ESPN this year.

I am not sure what I think Tressel should do. On one hand it would be great if he said he did not care what the NCAA says, by his standards they don't get to play in the next game which happens to be the Sugar Bowl. On the other hand, missing the Sugar Bowl and then 5 games is pretty severe and this is kind of an NCAA decision.

SoCal
    Somewhere Jerry Tarkanian is wondering out loud how Cleveland St has now been put on probation in Football for the sins of Auburn and Ohio St. The NCAA has now become a laughing stock organization. Sadly, with this Ohio St ruling, and the fact that UNC has put on a successful campaign to blame all of their sins on everybody except themselves, I expect UNC will get at best a slap on the wrist for their football mess.

Or, will UNC get the USC treatment, since they do not play in the SEC or Big Ten?

In a fair world, Cam Newton would have been ruled permanently ineligible, and all 5 Ohio St players would have been banned from playing in the Sugar Bowl, and the first 4 Regular Season games next year, with the stipulation they repay all of the monies gained to charity or to Cleveland St's athletic program!

Seriously though, who knows what to expect anymore? Given the recent rulings, I see no reason why the Kanter kid cannot immediately start playing for Kentucky. The Cam Newton situation is much worse imo, than the Kanter situation.

Angry NCAA = DMV/IRS with No Accountability or Firm Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Somewhere Jerry Tarkanian is wondering out loud how Cleveland St has now been put on probation in Football for the sins of Auburn and Ohio St. The NCAA has now become a laughing stock organization. Sadly, with this Ohio St ruling, and the fact that UNC has put on a successful campaign to blame all of their sins on everybody except themselves, I expect UNC will get at best a slap on the wrist for their football mess.

Or, will UNC get the USC treatment, since they do not play in the SEC or Big Ten?

In a fair world, Cam Newton would have been ruled permanently ineligible, and all 5 Ohio St players would have been banned from playing in the Sugar Bowl, and the first 4 Regular Season games next year, with the stipulation they repay all of the monies gained to charity or to Cleveland St's athletic program!

Seriously though, who knows what to expect anymore? Given the recent rulings, I see no reason why the Kanter kid cannot immediately start playing for Kentucky. The Cam Newton situation is much worse imo, than the Kanter situation.
    This is a complete no-win situation for Tressel, unless of course he does what a previous poster mentioned and does not allow the players to play because it goes against what he stands for. It seems that there are little to no ramifications if the players play in the Bowl and then declare for the draft. For the players, the NFL doesn't seem to care what kind of character issues one might have as long as a player can produce...just look at Maurice Clarett or to an extent Mike Vick. After they spurn the NCAA and tOSU all sins will be forgiven in time if the players have a successful NFL career.

Now, how does this help us read our crystal ball in predicting what will happen to UNC? Answer: It's as murky as ever because the inconsistent rulings set zero precedent on which to base any future rulings. I could see the NCAA declaring 'lack of institutional control' and handing down harsh penalties, but I could also see the NCAA basically doing nothing more than what the university imposed on itself and allowing UNC to move on with it's players getting off for 'time already served' with their missing games this year.

I just think the hypocrisy in punishment from the NCAA is absurd, but there is no way around it, no punishing them with your pocketbook like any free market system should have. Do all the major conferences/teams leave the NCAA and start their own Association? If so, will it be any better than the current system. For all the rule books and statutes they have, there sure does seem to be plenty of grey areas and fuzzy lines for them to bend the rules as they please. I hate to rant, but this situation and how it was handled is ridiculous. The NCAA doesn't need credibility, as all college athletes have no choice but to deal with the organization.

A "verbal commitment" is only as good as the paper it was written on.