Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Terp visitor at Cameron

I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday. I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans. Go Terps

Quote Originally Posted by terps84 View Post
    I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday. I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans. Go Terps
    I'm a Maryland fan as well and am hoping this doesn't turn into a beatdown. Enjoy the game!

I hope you enjoy the venue in all its glory. The game, not so much.

We are always nice to our visitors, and have been since Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter. You can look that one up by doing a search here on the site or by doing a more extensive Google search. But I'll tell you this: Not one opposing player's parent has ever been hit with a water bottle thrown by a Duke student. And Coach K doesn't let the students chant obscenities or vulgarities at the opposing players or their relatives, unlike as has happened at some other schools and has been tolerated by their coaches and athletic directors (or former athletic directors who said "what can we do other than tell them to stop?".) The Cameron Crazies are loud, creative and incessant, but no player, coach or visiting fan should ever feel threatened physically by a Cameron Crazie. Mentally intimidated, yeah, hopefully!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You'll certainly enjoy the atmosphere. Unfortunately, Duke students will still be on break for the Maryland game, just FYI. So it won't be a full blown Cameron experience...but still nothing like it!

Wear your protective head gear and vest. Oh, wait a minute, wrong venue.
    Seriously, enjoy your visit and "drive (fly) home safely."

All the very best to you on "Venues." What an incredible idea for your book! Thanks for the CIS inclusion. I can't wait to get it!

We have ALWAYS been "nice" to the vistors in CIS, especially if they might have any history with one of our all-time favorite Duke grads, Lefty Driesell. The inventive student comments and the skull caps were, as Lefty knew, just your usual family shenanigans.

If you can believe it, and as competitive personalities as Gary Williams and Coach K are, they have a great personal friendship and a healthy professional respect for each other. How did we both come we have such a wonderful competitive animosity. We love AND hate you guys here. Through the years we have certainly pushed each other to many heights. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You'll certainly enjoy the atmosphere. Unfortunately, Duke students will still be on break for the Maryland game, just FYI. So it won't be a full blown Cameron experience...but still nothing like it!
    The game is on Sunday and classes start on Wednesday. Most students will arrive over that weekend, so I'm guessing at least a 90% Cameron experience..trumps 100% at any other venue. GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    The game is on Sunday and classes start on Wednesday. Most students will arrive over that weekend, so I'm guessing at least a 90% Cameron experience..trumps 100% at any other venue. GO DUKE!!!
    True, some people come back early so there should be students to fill the section. I believe the dorms open on Saturday. I personally would strategically choose a flight home to get back in time for the game if I was in that situation, but some people don't plan well enough.

Without the students it isn't really Cameron, so I hope you get some students back.

Dear Terp fan, guess what venue's fans chant obsenities at opposing players during games, throw water bottles at opposing player's Moms and riot, turning cars over and start fires after regular season wins? I don't know either but it's not Dukies. You can feel safe and welcome here.

We truly are always gracious to visitors!

Coming out of the Miami game last night and walking to my car, I saw a male Miami fan (dressed in shorts and a t-shirt... brrrr!), his wife, and his child who appeared to be less than 6 weeks old. I overheard them trying to decide whether to turn left or right. I politely asked where they were going and, when they said the Washington Duke, I told them they needed to turn left. Then I said, Please remember that a Duke fan was kind to you!

They both turned and said that they had been both amazed and pleased at how well the Duke fans all around them had treated them. They said they go to almost all the Miami away games, and last night received the best treatment EVER from opposing fans!

So I'm certain we will treat you and any other Maryland fans with respect and generosity.

Oh, by the way, the Miami couple said they had been verbally beaten and bruised at the Comcast Center... anyone know where that is?
    DukeDevilDeb

terps, I was a student in '86 (IIRC) and present when Len Bias scored 40+ against the best defense in the nationat Cameron -- and got a standing "O" when he finally fouled out.

I talked to Lefty on more than one occasion at Cameron -- always the gracious Duke grad.

I hope you enjoy your trip. And I hope you will excuse me if I hope that it is despite of a loss at the hands of the Devils. But Cameron is unique -- everyone should get a chance to see a game there.

Good luck with the book, and of course good luck whenever the Terps play the heels.

-- OPK

Here's to your visit and endeavor. I do hope you get a larger experience than I did at the Miami game. No cheerleaders or Blue Devil was kinda weaksauce, though I understand the reasoning and still had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Without the students it isn't really Cameron, so I hope you get some students back.
    Black tenting also starts on the 8th. So we'll have to have 10 people there by 2:30 am Sunday morning (Saturday night) if my interpretation of the rules are correct. And dorms open up on the 8th. We might not have a full section of Crazies there, but the really hardcore ones will be back. I think we'll actually draw a decent sized crowd.

Good luck on the book! Hope we give ya a great experience to draw from!

What is the undergraduate winter forum (Jan 9-11)?

http://registrar.duke.edu/registrar/...cacad2011.html

Some crazies ought to make a "Venues" sign to give this guy a cool photo op. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    What is the undergraduate winter forum (Jan 9-11)?

http://registrar.duke.edu/registrar/...cacad2011.html
    http://undergraduatedean.duke.edu/winterforum/

This isn't a school-wide event but one that student apply to participate in, so it might not significantly influence the number of students at the game.

On a related note, I will be at the game with an NCSU fan. It will be my first ACC game in Cameron and his first ever game there. It's an odd story how he got the tickets but he is very excited about the opportunity to experience Cameron. He plans to wear red but said he will make sure it is says NCSU in big letters to not be mistaken for Maryland. My wife (who is not as big of a basketball fan as me) did not understand why an NCSU fan would want to go to Cameron for a Duke/Maryland game but I explained to her that most any fan would love to experience Cameron at least once. He pointed out that he could easily get tickets for Duke @ State but this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he wasn't going to pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    http://undergraduatedean.duke.edu/winterforum/

This isn't a school-wide event but one that student apply to participate in, so it might not significantly influence the number of students at the game.
    Thanks for the information. From the write-up: "The Winter Forum is a free two-and-a-half-day conference for undergraduates that is held annually prior to the start of spring semester. Each forum focuses on a single global issue and is led by a different university institute or school each year. Students, led by Duke faculty members and experts, evaluate a global issue from perspectives of multiple disciplines and cultural perspectives as well as engage in collaborative work."

... and to think, back in the day, we'd come back from break and our collaborative work involved drinking beer and going to the traditional Wed night home game before Thursday classes ...

As a Kentucky fan that took his ladylove Duke fan to a game at Cameron, I can attest to the truth of all that has been said here. Duke fans in Cameron, around campus and around Durham are gracious, helpful and friendly.

Cameron Indoor is a very special place. It is up there with Yankee Stadium, Lambeau Field, and Churchill Downs as a must-see venue for any sports fan.

Stay at the Washington Duke if at all possible. It is gorgious! (And we bumped into Jon Scheyer and his family there!)

Spend as much time as possible strolling the campus. Visit the University Store in The Bryan Center if you are at all inclined to buy anything Duke.

I hear they have good barbecue in Durham but I'm a vegetarian so really can't say.