Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5 Ohio State Players Suspended

Last edited by PADukeMom; 12-23-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: It Festivus...what can I say

Interesting that they're suspended for their first five games of 2011 vs. the likes of SW Missouri State, but not for the bowl game. Can somebody explain to me this rationale?

The players are eligible for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.
    If that's the case, isn't it Ohio State's own fault for not educating their players? If the NCAA accepts the fact that individual players shouldn't punished for Ohio State's lack of education, then why are they suspended for five games in 2011? Makes no sense to me. Either they are at fault, or they aren't. You can't say they're at fault "somewhat" so we'll suspend them only for games that are more convenient for them to miss...I'm not saying they should be suspended for the bowl game necessarily, just that the penalty should make sense and not be dependent on the upcoming matchups. Pryor will probably be turning pro anyways so won't miss any games.

Edit: Also, I find it somewhat humorous that players could easily sell their merchandise/awards once they graduate without any repercussions (as far as I know it's not illegal to sell possessions), just not when they're in school. But I understand the premise behind the rule.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 12-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Ohio State takes a big hit if it means Pryor leaves for the NFL in 2011 rather than 2012, but it is sort of a joke. It's obvious that the NCAA doesn't want players to be selling their stuff, and the players must have known it, though it does underline the weirdness of a system in which the only people in the country with such restrictions are NCAA athletes.

I also liked this exchange:

On Twitter on Wednesday night, Pryor posted, "I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks"

Pryor's high school coach, Ray Reitz, told ESPN's Joe Schad that Pryor sold items because "he wanted to help his mother."

There was virtually no chance the NCAA was going to suspend three of the best offensive players on a team playing in a BCS game. So, rather than hand down a meaningful one game suspension that jeopardized the TV audience for a corporate cash cow, they hand down five game suspensions that, perversely, increase the incentive for three of the penalized players to declare for the NFL draft.

I suspect the NCAA would have crafted a more reasonable penalty if the infractions involved players in the Little Caesar's Bowl.

Hypocrites

The ncaa is so hypocritical. How can they justify all of the free stuff that the bowls give to participating players?

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com...rticleId=67518

Aren’t those things “extra benefits?”

Don't get me wrong, I think a scholarship is more than enough for these athletes and they shouldn't receive anything extra. I just think the NCAA is just laughable with their rules enforcement.

Talking Student Loans?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    The ncaa is so hypocritical. How can they justify all of the free stuff that the bowls give to participating players?

Don't get me wrong, I think a scholarship is more than enough for these athletes and they shouldn't receive anything extra. I just think the NCAA is just laughable with their rules enforcement.
    If players need extra money, can't they apply for student loans? Other students use them for living expenses, and in some cases, live pretty darned well. For players who are bona fide NFL prospects, paying them back shouldn't be a problem. Or maybe the NCAA doesn't like this either.

I have to say that the constant drumbeat of negative ink on the NCAA because of picayune player transgressions is a terrible way to promote your sport. There's gotta be a better way.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Interesting that they're suspended for their first five games of 2011 vs. the likes of SW Missouri State, but not for the bowl game. Can somebody explain to me this rationale?

If that's the case, isn't it Ohio State's own fault for not educating their players? If the NCAA accepts the fact that individual players shouldn't punished for Ohio State's lack of education, then why are they suspended for five games in 2011? Makes no sense to me. Either they are at fault, or they aren't. You can't say they're at fault "somewhat" so we'll suspend them only for games that are more convenient for them to miss...I'm not saying they should be suspended for the bowl game necessarily, just that the penalty should make sense and not be dependent on the upcoming matchups. Pryor will probably be turning pro anyways so won't miss any games.

Edit: Also, I find it somewhat humorous that players could easily sell their merchandise/awards once they graduate without any repercussions (as far as I know it's not illegal to sell possessions), just not when they're in school. But I understand the premise behind the rule.
    The timing of the penalties is what surprises me. If the NCAA knew it was going to be suspending these guys -- rightly or wrongly -- then why not wait until after OSU's bowl game and the season are over to announce their "findings" and penalty? That way, they avoid the criticism they're taking now, that they're suspending them for games that are more convenient -- and potentially less costly to their corporate partners -- rather than suspending them immediately, which would make more sense on pretty much any level.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If players need extra money, can't they apply for student loans? Other students use them for living expenses, and in some cases, live pretty darned well. For players who are bona fide NFL prospects, paying them back shouldn't be a problem. Or maybe the NCAA doesn't like this either.

I have to say that the constant drumbeat of negative ink on the NCAA because of picayune player transgressions is a terrible way to promote your sport. There's gotta be a better way.

sagegrouse
    Not sure it is possible. For regular students on fellowships- all new money acts to reduce the amount of their award. One could imagine a booster creating a loan program and never expecting to get paid back.

Talking Student Loans for Athletes

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Not sure it is possible. For regular students on fellowships- all new money acts to reduce the amount of their award. One could imagine a booster creating a loan program and never expecting to get paid back.
    I was in grad school many years ago. Is it really true that if one chooses to incur a student loan through a federal program, that it would reduce the stipend, which is already to small to live on, esp. for those with families?

I know a bit about law students and med students these days, and the amounts borrowed are amazing.

Anyway, if this route were to be used, it couldn't be a booster-run program. It would have to be a federal or NCAA-approved program.

sagegrouse

I would think athletes on scholarships would still qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans...does anyone know for a fact that this is untrue? If they do qualify they can get $5,500 their freshman year, $6,500 their sophomore year, and $7,500 for all subsequent years with a maximum of $31,000 from all years combined.

I'm going this route and I'll only be making 30-50k tops in my career, don't see why I should feel bad that athletes would have to take out loans as well so long as there's no NCAA rule against it.

I know some tOSU fans who have had about enough of Terrelle Pryor, and look forward to him moving on.

Just heard some of Kirk Herbstreit on the radio with Cowherd, and Herbie was ripping Pryor pretty hard...not a leader, selfish, immature, etc.

I think this is stupid. And in fact, it makes me a little angry. There is zero understanding on my side for how these guys are allowed to play in the bowl game. If I wasn't done before this with the NCAA and how they handle college football, I am now. It seems like complete and total hypocrisy.
    Last edited by terrih; 12-23-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

now I know it would be difficult to prove when these players got the tattoos, but hypothetically speaking let's say the players got these tattoos at some point during the regular season. Wouldn't that mean that osu had players playing in games when they were ineligible and should forfeit said games? The reason I ask is because i get confused with all the different rulings the ncaa hands down about player eligibility/suspensions etc...
    Isn't that what happened with usc/reggie bush? He received gifts, participated in games, and that was ruled ineligable and usc had to forfeit games. I realize there is a difference between tattoos and large sums of money, but at the same time they are both gifts.

Laugh or Cry

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about.

What penalty for Ohio State for not educating the student athletes?

The NCAA is all about MONEY. Somehow they decide not to punish Cam Newton because they could not prove that his father was trying to sell him to the highest bidder. Now they let the Ohio State players play in their bowl game because they were not properly educated!!!!!

Give me a break.

Of course USC gets hammered. At the time I thought the USC penalties were severe but understandable. In light of these decisions the USC penalties are way too severe.
    Maybe Reggie Bush should have said he did not know his parents were getting a free house or that it was a loan and he was not taught that your parents could not a loan.

Of course what is really ironic is that the Ohio State players will get gifts from the bowl worth hundreds of dollars. No problem.

Would have been interesting if one of these guys was a senior.

SoCal

I fail to understand most of what the NCAA does. If there were to be any suspensions they should have been immediate IMHO.
    It's all good thought for me if Pryor declares since I am a Penn State fan.
    "Go my tatts"...WOW...talk about priorities.

I don't really care whether Pryor is a good player, a selfish player or a bench-warmer. I'm just tired of the NCAA passing out penalties that certainly seem intended to protect their business interests.

Heck, with their ruling, the NCAA set it up so compliance departments actually have a disincentive to educate their players on the rules. If the players don't know the rules, they won't be suspended for bowl games.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post

Basketball players get those too from preseason tournaments. They are "prizes."

Next thing you know, the NFL will suspend Brett Favre 5 games {next year) for the Sterger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was in grad school many years ago. Is it really true that if one chooses to incur a student loan through a federal program, that it would reduce the stipend, which is already to small to live on, esp. for those with families?

I know a bit about law students and med students these days, and the amounts borrowed are amazing.

Anyway, if this route were to be used, it couldn't be a booster-run program. It would have to be a federal or NCAA-approved program.

sagegrouse
    Or maybe run through the NCAA as part of being given a scholarship - but perhaps limit it to the revenue generating sports. Actually it does make sense and could allow those who are most likely to be a approached by agents (NFL prospects) to have access to some funds to live off. It would make the NCAA responsible for managing and providing oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Next thing you know, the NFL will suspend Brett Favre 5 games {next year) for the Sterger issue.
    If the NFL were as transparently gutless as the NCAA, they'd suspend Brett Favre for the duration of training camp.