Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Andy Katz agrees with me that it's wayyyy premature to count out the Wolfpack, and that they haven't been as bad as people seem to believe so far....after all, their losses are all to teams that would probably be #2 in the ACC this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...y-smith-return
    I humbly predict that El Sid pulls a Sendek, goes .500 in the ACC, then makes the ACC tourney finals, then makes the NCAAs and lives to fight another day. Isnt that the Coach on the Hot Seat way of doing things? Get hot in March?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I humbly predict that El Sid pulls a Sendek, goes .500 in the ACC, then makes the ACC tourney finals, then makes the NCAAs and lives to fight another day. Isnt that the Coach on the Hot Seat way of doing things? Get hot in March?
    You know, even as little as I think of Lowe, this isn't completely out of the realm of possibility -- heck, having Smith back will help the team, even incrementally, and well...they do get to play Wake Forest.

That being said, Lowe's teams have tended to fade as the season progresses, not catch on. The only exception is his first year, where he a) was playing with Herb Sendek's players rather than his and b) got Engin Atsur back from injury, who was almost inarguably more important to that team than Smith is to this.

And stepping back for a moment here, to realistically make the NCAA's, State has to be 10-6 in ACC -- I don't see 8-8 as cutting it this year (absent a miracle tournament run). They have to play UNC and Duke twice, but let's say the ball bounces funny and they manage to split those games 2-2. That means they have to go 8-4 against the rest of the ACC to make the tourney. With this team, I just don't see that happening. (And mind you, that's with a pretty improbable split against Duke or sweep of the Heels.)
    Last edited by Ping Lin; 12-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The counter-argument would be that five years is enough. Lowe took over a program that had made the NCAAs five years in a row. He hasn't made the NCAAs yet. Every player on his team is a player he recruited. Sure, he's had some good wins but I could give you a long list of really bad losses.

This may be premature. State hasn't started its ACC season yet, its best player has been out with an injury and the ACC's performance so far suggests that there are first-division niches just begging to be filled. So, maybe State goes 10-6, goes to the NCAAs, Lowe gets an extension and everything is hunky-dory. Stranger things have happened.

But, as I stated earlier in the thread, I'm quite certain that State has to go to the Big Dance for him to keep his job. Maybe that's not fair, maybe five years isn't long enough. But Sendek didn't leave a bare cupboard and the job was by no means considered a rebuilding job when Lowe took it. The State fan base is restless and Lowe has a big two months ahead of him.
    Jim, the current NC State fanbase was BORN restless

Quote Originally Posted by nctalkinghead View Post
    Jim, the current NC State fanbase was BORN restless
    In case you missed it, the Wolfpack edged Delaware State tonight 72-70 in front of 13,000 or so empty seats and a few thousand State fans, who alternated between boredom, outrage and fear.

It was not pretty.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    In case you missed it, the Wolfpack edged Delaware State tonight 72-70 in front of 13,000 or so empty seats and a few thousand State fans, who alternated between boredom, outrage and fear.

It was not pretty.
    This is the part I truly do not understand. (Attendance) They pack 50K+ into Carter-Finley for every football game, and it would take what, 35-40% of that to fill the RBC Center for Basketball? Don't recall off the top of my head exactly how many people the RBC holds for basketball.

This is one of the most passionate fanbases anywhere, and they cannot put fannies in the seat for hoops. Makes no sense to me. They rail on the former AD and every coach and complain about everything, including recruiting, but will not attend games.

I am a believer that poor fan attendance can hurt recruiting. Why would a Mickey D recruit want to go play somewhere that the fans do not support the team by attending games?

I just saw the highlights on WRAL and when Wood's winning shot went thru the hoop with 2.1 seconds left, the players, including Wood, showed no emotion whatsoever, and there was no roar from the crowd. That's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    This is the part I truly do not understand. (Attendance) They pack 50K+ into Carter-Finley for every football game, and it would take what, 35-40% of that to fill the RBC Center for Basketball? Don't recall off the top of my head exactly how many people the RBC holds for basketball.

This is one of the most passionate fanbases anywhere, and they cannot put fannies in the seat for hoops. Makes no sense to me. They rail on the former AD and every coach and complain about everything, including recruiting, but will not attend games.

I am a believer that poor fan attendance can hurt recruiting. Why would a Mickey D recruit want to go play somewhere that the fans do not support the team by attending games?

I just saw the highlights on WRAL and when Wood's winning shot went thru the hoop with 2.1 seconds left, the players, including Wood, showed no emotion whatsoever, and there was no roar from the crowd. That's just sad.
    I've gotta disagree with you hear. There just aren't a lot of good reasons to go to State games right now unless you enjoy bad basketball, particularly right up against the holidays when a lot of people are traveling and the team is playing a patsy opponent. Hard to get really pumped up about a last second win over...Delaware State? Players and fans alike can see that there wasn't much good throughout that game, final shot notwithstanding. This team is playing really poorly, and the fans are responding accordingly. As someone who has always considered State to be one of my favorite non-Duke schools I hope they right the ship this season, but I don't think they will. Hope they get a good coach when Lowe gets shown the door.

I will add that I feel bad for Sydney. I'm sure he cares about the school, but he just can't get it done. Or at least if he can, he isn't.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've gotta disagree with you hear. There just aren't a lot of good reasons to go to State games right now unless you enjoy bad basketball, particularly right up against the holidays when a lot of people are traveling and the team is playing a patsy opponent. Hard to get really pumped up about a last second win over...Delaware State? Players and fans alike can see that there wasn't much good throughout that game, final shot notwithstanding. This team is playing really poorly, and the fans are responding accordingly. As someone who has always considered State to be one of my favorite non-Duke schools I hope they right the ship this season, but I don't think they will. Hope they get a good coach when Lowe gets shown the door.

I will add that I feel bad for Sydney. I'm sure he cares about the school, but he just can't get it done. Or at least if he can, he isn't.
    Fair points, but it is not just this year. Attendance has been bad for years now. At work right now so I will finish my thoughts later tonight. It is just a bad scene over there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Fair points, but it is not just this year. Attendance has been bad for years now. At work right now so I will finish my thoughts later tonight. It is just a bad scene over there right now.
    I suspect the RBC Center had at least 5,000 empty seats for the Sunday afternoon game against Arizona.

For years State complained about the unfair advantage Carolina had with the Smith Center. Just give us a 20,000-seat arena and we'll show 'em.

Well, they have their 20,000 seat arena. Like the Carmichael/Smith transition, they've lost a lot of their home-court advantage playing in bigger, more sterile atmosphere. When Carolina or Duke comes callling, the place is full and rocking. But almost any other time, it's just too big for the program.

Remember, we're talking about a state-supported school, located in the center of the state, with more students than any other school in the state and a boatload of alumni within easy driving distance.

They should be able to fill the place on a regular basis.

But the last three coaches have been Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe. Good, decent men all and all have forgotten more about basketball than I've ever known. But exciting basketball isn't their middle name.

The students have finished exams and gone home for the holidays. If you were a student and lived in Winston-Salem or Charlotte, would you drive back for a game against Delaware State?

Suspect not.

State hosts Alabama A&M next week and then has a noon game against San Diego on New Year's Day. Their strength-of-schedule is collapsing and even impressive wins against teams of this caliber don't help when the selection committee goes behind closed doors. And two-point wins over Delaware State sure don't help. The only point in playing these games is to develop and refine things that will help you in conference play. That doesn't appear to be the case here, especially with Smith still nursing that knee injury.

Still, plenty of time for them to turn the boat around. But I just haven't seen any signs that siggest it's likely.

I suspect the RBC Center had at least 5,000 empty seats for the Sunday afternoon game against Arizona.

For years State complained about the unfair advantage Carolina had with the Smith Center. Just give us a 20,000-seat arena and we'll show 'em.

Well, they have their 20,000 seat arena. Like the Carmichael/Smith transition, they've lost a lot of their home-court advantage playing in bigger, more sterile atmosphere. When Carolina or Duke comes callling, the place is full and rocking. But almost any other time, it's just too big for the program.

Remember, we're talking about a state-supported school, located in the center of the state, with more students than any other school in the state and a boatload of alumni within easy driving distance.

They should be able to fill the place on a regular basis.

But the last three coaches have been Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe. Good, decent men all and all have forgotten more about basketball than I've ever known. But exciting basketball isn't their middle name.

The students have finished exams and gone home for the holidays. If you were a student and lived in Winston-Salem or Charlotte, would you drive back for a game against Delaware State?

Suspect not.

State hosts Alabama A&M next week and then has a noon game against San Diego on New Year's Day. Their strength-of-schedule is collapsing and even impressive wins against teams of this caliber don't help when the selection committee goes behind closed doors. And two-point wins over Delaware State sure don't help. The only point in playing these games is to develop and refine things that will help you in conference play. That doesn't appear to be the case here, especially with Smith still nursing that knee injury.

Still, plenty of time for them to turn the boat around. But I just haven't seen any signs that siggest it's likely.
    I have always been puzzled by Sendek being accused of non-exciting basketball. To me (and my screen name perhaps shows some bias), is there anything more exciting than seeing a ball worked around until a great scoring opportunity is created? I am supposed to think that watching someone beating his man off the dribble is exciting while a pass into the high post that results in a cut, bounce pass, and lay-up is a snoozefest? With the advent of the shot clock and elimination of four corners, I don't think any style of basketball is boring so long as it is not a turnoverfest.

What is exciting is winning. No one will tell me that NC St got rid of Sendek because they did not like his style. His style/recruiting/coaching resulted in too many L's. He could have had them running up and down the court the way everyone apparently thinks basketball should be played to be exciting and still be in Az St if that style produced the same # of L's.

[I recognize that Herb's personality was not exactly Valvano-like and did not produce a Cult of Personality that may have made him more popular with the fanbase.]

/rant

A few things to bear in mind:

A)State actually is always in the top 25 of attendance records...not sure where you get the notion that they don't pack the RBC center. Sure, attendance % is lower, but when you average 13,000 fans per game and finish in the bottom of the conference.

B)The recorded attendance for last nights game was 11,435...so it's below average, but during the holidays against a patsy is still decent. I mean let's look at the Terps attendance recently: 11,689 at NJIT. GT's most recent game? 3,480.

It's easy to fill the stadium when you are #1, or even good. To stay in the top 25 consistently in attendance despite not making the NCAA's is very impressive...

I'm sad to see things going this way for Lowe. This year seems to be cementing the idea that he's not going to be able to produce in the crucial areas of wins, post-season appearances, or generating fanbase enthusiasm (which really is just a result of the first two issues).

This year started out with buzz over the incoming talent and the reports that team chemistry was something to see. But the incoming talent is struggling to produce consistent results on the floor...which is to be expected, since they're freshmen. The seats are empty. The team seems strangely listless and uncertain on the court.

Debbie Yow is probably making some very simple calculations: a coach there for 5 years without a noticeable upward trend, even now that he's got his own players to work with; reasonable talent on the court (right now you have to think Brown, Harrow, and Leslie will all be back, along with Harrow, Painter, and Wood) with which to attract a new coach; a tradition-rich ACC school with good facilities with which to attract a new coach; a fan-base that has lost it's basketball enthusiasm. Put all that together and you have to think that, barring a great January-March, she makes a move.

I have hoped that Lowe would make it happen there, but this is a results-oriented business. Even his supporters (like me) have to recognize that State may need to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    I have always been puzzled by Sendek being accused of non-exciting basketball. To me (and my screen name perhaps shows some bias), is there anything more exciting than seeing a ball worked around until a great scoring opportunity is created? I am supposed to think that watching someone beating his man off the dribble is exciting while a pass into the high post that results in a cut, bounce pass, and lay-up is a snoozefest? With the advent of the shot clock and elimination of four corners, I don't think any style of basketball is boring so long as it is not a turnoverfest.

What is exciting is winning. No one will tell me that NC St got rid of Sendek because they did not like his style. His style/recruiting/coaching resulted in too many L's. He could have had them running up and down the court the way everyone apparently thinks basketball should be played to be exciting and still be in Az St if that style produced the same # of L's.

[I recognize that Herb's personality was not exactly Valvano-like and did not produce a Cult of Personality that may have made him more popular with the fanbase.]

/rant
    Sendek definitely fell short in the charisma category. He wasn't a schmoozer and that offended more than a few high-rollers who felt that they were entitled to be schmoozed by the head guy. Sendek can be very engaging in small groups but he never seemed comfortable in large gatherings.

That said, his teams had a system, he recruited to that system, and his players seemed to know what they were doing most of the time.

But a good portion of the State fan-base would not agree with your belief that winning is sexy enough. Sendek didn't win often enough but he also didn't win with enough style.

Going to five consecutive NCAAs is pretty good. But from the time Everett Case arrived in 1946 until Valvano's departure in 1990 (Les had one carryover year), State was nationally relevant more often than not. They ruled the local roost as often as Duke or Carolina. When State won its most recent ACC title in 1987, State had as many ACC titles as anyone and two of the ACC's four national titles. Carolina had the other two and Duke was the school that couldn't win the big one.

Since then, no ACC titles, one Sweet Sixteen and nobody talks about the Triangle's Big Three, like they did in the 1980s.

Most current State fans don't remember Case and many aren't old enough to remember Sloan, Thompson and Burleson. But they know some of the history and feel that their team should be competing for national and ACC titles not hoping to play their way onto the NCAA bubble. They sure don't expect to be falling behind Youngstown State or squeaking out victories over Delaware State. So, I can tell you that a significant portion of the fan base is very unhappy with the way things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    A few things to bear in mind:

A)State actually is always in the top 25 of attendance records...not sure where you get the notion that they don't pack the RBC center. Sure, attendance % is lower, but when you average 13,000 fans per game and finish in the bottom of the conference.

B)The recorded attendance for last nights game was 11,435...so it's below average, but during the holidays against a patsy is still decent. I mean let's look at the Terps attendance recently: 11,689 at NJIT. GT's most recent game? 3,480.

It's easy to fill the stadium when you are #1, or even good. To stay in the top 25 consistently in attendance despite not making the NCAA's is very impressive...
    Well, I get the notion that State doesn't pack the RBC Center by going to the games, looking at the empty seats and listening to the squeaks of the basketball shoes in a deathly-quite arena. 11,000 sold tickets doesn't equate to 11,000 people actually in the seats. I guarantee you there were nowhere near 11,000 people in the RBC Center last night.

Top 25 nationally sounds impressive. But remember, we're talking about a tradition-rich, state-supported university with 30,000 students, in a metro area of 1.6 million people, playing in a major basketball conference.

Playing .500 basketball in a 1/3 empty arena is not making people happy.

And by people, I'm not just referring to the fans.

State fan here. I like reading DBR and thought I would join in on this topic.

I could talk for hours and hours about State basketball and its ups and downs (mostly downs) in the last 20+ years, but it all boils down to this: We want NC State to be relevant again. Relevant in the ACC and relevant on the national scene. Does this mean that we expect State, like Duke, to compete for national championships every season? No

I'm 35 years old, so I grew up during the 1980's when Valvano coached. There was not one year in the 1980's that State was clearly the best team in the ACC. In the early 80's, UNC and UVa were better programs, followed by UNC and Duke in the late 80's. Yet State was still relevant. They went to the Elite 8 in 1985 & 1986; the Sweet Sixteen in 1989; finished first in the regular season in 1985(tie) & 1989; won the ACC in 1983 & 1987; and of course, won the NCAA in '83.

State was not achieved any of these accomplishments since 1990, save the lone Sweet Sixteen by Herb in 2004(?). Again, State's teams were not world beaters in the 80's. Only twice did State finish a season with less than 10 losses, but there was success. This is what State fans want. Our lack of success has led to understandable frustration from the fans. Duke and UNC winning championships every other year doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong -- I would love to find a Coach K clone who would turn our program into a consistent top 10 team and compete for a national championship every year; a program where a record of 28-6 is the norm. Mostly, State fans want what we had in the 1980's and before: to be relevant. I don't think that's unrealistic or unreasonable.

EDIT: For the record, if Sidney can't take State to the NCAA's this year, I believe he should be replaced.

Talking Welcome Aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    State fan here. I like reading DBR and thought I would join in on this topic.

I could talk for hours and hours about State basketball and its ups and downs (mostly downs) in the last 20+ years, but it all boils down to this: We want NC State to be relevant again. Relevant in the ACC and relevant on the national scene. Does this mean that we expect State, like Duke, to compete for national championships every season? No

I'm 35 years old, so I grew up during the 1980's when Valvano coached. There was not one year in the 1980's that State was clearly the best team in the ACC. In the early 80's, UNC and UVa were better programs, followed by UNC and Duke in the late 80's. Yet State was still relevant. They went to the Elite 8 in 1985 & 1986; the Sweet Sixteen in 1989; finished first in the regular season in 1985(tie) & 1989; won the ACC in 1983 & 1987; and of course, won the NCAA in '83.

State was not achieved any of these accomplishments since 1990, save the lone Sweet Sixteen by Herb in 2004(?). Again, State's teams were not world beaters in the 80's. Only twice did State finish a season with less than 10 losses, but there was success. This is what State fans want. Our lack of success has led to understandable frustration from the fans. Duke and UNC winning championships every other year doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong -- I would love to find a Coach K clone who would turn our program into a consistent top 10 team and compete for a national championship every year; a program where a record of 28-6 is the norm. Mostly, State fans want what we had in the 1980's and before: to be relevant. I don't think that's unrealistic or unreasonable.

EDIT: For the record, if Sidney can't take State to the NCAA's this year, I believe he should be replaced.
    Welcome to the Board. The ACC seems to be weaker all over now than in the 1980s, when the competition was brutal. State, Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Tech, and Virginia were all strong. And Wake (Muggsy) and Clemson (Horace Grant and Eleden Campbell) had their moments.

I would like to see State do better (although the beatdown of Duke last year was really painful), and maybe the talent is beginning to show up. I guess we'll find out this year if Sidney Lowe is the answer.

sagegrouse

Sendek definitely fell short in the charisma category. He wasn't a schmoozer and that offended more than a few high-rollers who felt that they were entitled to be schmoozed by the head guy. Sendek can be very engaging in small groups but he never seemed comfortable in large gatherings.

That said, his teams had a system, he recruited to that system, and his players seemed to know what they were doing most of the time.

But a good portion of the State fan-base would not agree with your belief that winning is sexy enough. Sendek didn't win often enough but he also didn't win with enough style.

Going to five consecutive NCAAs is pretty good. But from the time Everett Case arrived in 1946 until Valvano's departure in 1990 (Les had one carryover year), State was nationally relevant more often than not. They ruled the local roost as often as Duke or Carolina. When State won its most recent ACC title in 1987, State had as many ACC titles as anyone and two of the ACC's four national titles. Carolina had the other two and Duke was the school that couldn't win the big one.

Since then, no ACC titles, one Sweet Sixteen and nobody talks about the Triangle's Big Three, like they did in the 1980s.

Most current State fans don't remember Case and many aren't old enough to remember Sloan, Thompson and Burleson. But they know some of the history and feel that their team should be competing for national and ACC titles not hoping to play their way onto the NCAA bubble. They sure don't expect to be falling behind Youngstown State or squeaking out victories over Delaware State. So, I can tell you that a significant portion of the fan base is very unhappy with the way things are going.
    I may be removed from the State fan base and so don't know what I am talking about, but complaining about the "style" seems like parties in a marriage about to fail complaining about not putting the cap back on the toothpaste.

Science has shown that people don't get angry because of "x" reason. They feel the emotion of anger, then their rational brain comes up with a reason for why that emotion exists. Sometimes we connect the dots correctly ... other times we find ourselves in arguments with spouses and don't figure out what we are actually arguing about for 45 minutes. Or why we hear a laundry list of items even though those events happened days, weeks, even years ago.

I think this is a similar situation. The emotion is anger/frustration over losing. "Style" is the straw that is grasped onto by the rational brain.

All that said, I suspect the rep of his "system" might have dissuaded some from wanting to play for him and not having those kinds of players probably persuaded Herb to play his "system" in a time honored chicken and egg situation.

Thanks for the welcome.

The ACC is absolutely down this year. The conference is on track for the one of the worst years in its history. This only adds to the frustration for State fans -- if we continue to play poorly, we'll finish near the bottom of this morbidly weak conference.

Let's hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

The ACC is absolutely down this year. The conference is on track for the one of the worst years in its history. This only adds to the frustration for State fans -- if we continue to play poorly, we'll finish near the bottom of this morbidly weak conference.
    I have been a Duke fan since 1959, but NC State was always my 2nd team. I have two friends that are State Alumn. They went from crazy over the top NCSU basketball fans to crazy over the top football fans. If you had told me this would be the case back in the 80s, I would have said you were crazy. These guys did'nt even play football in high school nor did they even support our high school football team. My friends and I were really ABC fans, but guess what? They don't have that dislike for unc anylonger, but now have a high dislike for Duke basketball. I guess Duke's success in basketball has over taken their dislike for unc. Well I still root for NCSU, except when they play Duke. Go Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    But, as I stated earlier in the thread, I'm quite certain that State has to go to the Big Dance for him to keep his job. Maybe that's not fair, maybe five years isn't long enough. But Sendek didn't leave a bare cupboard and the job was by no means considered a rebuilding job when Lowe took it. The State fan base is restless and Lowe has a big two months ahead of him.
    In a tradition rich conference (despite the dismal outlook of this year) 5 years without dancing is one too many years for the majority of ACC fans. We of course are spoiled, one year's absence is a nightmare, but to be on the outside looking in for half a decade is an impossibility for anyone to fathom when your neighbors are taking that 1st round ticket for granted.
    I'm not certain that just getting to the tourney will save Lowe. If State shows up and loses in the first round, I could easily see him being replaced then too. Like others that have posted here, I want to see State be better. I miss the days when they were a part of what made Tobacco Road basketball great. My gut says that Debbie will be having a few interviews at the end of March, or at least be putting together a search committee.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    I may be removed from the State fan base and so don't know what I am talking about, but complaining about the "style" seems like parties in a marriage about to fail complaining about not putting the cap back on the toothpaste.

Science has shown that people don't get angry because of "x" reason. They feel the emotion of anger, then their rational brain comes up with a reason for why that emotion exists. Sometimes we connect the dots correctly ... other times we find ourselves in arguments with spouses and don't figure out what we are actually arguing about for 45 minutes. Or why we hear a laundry list of items even though those events happened days, weeks, even years ago.

I think this is a similar situation. The emotion is anger/frustration over losing. "Style" is the straw that is grasped onto by the rational brain.

All that said, I suspect the rep of his "system" might have dissuaded some from wanting to play for him and not having those kinds of players probably persuaded Herb to play his "system" in a time honored chicken and egg situation.
    Maybe so, but I have lunch every Monday (Rotary Club) with a huge State supporter and one of the major movers & shakers responsible for raising the money to build the RBC Center. We were discussing NCSU basketball this past Monday and I said something about State fans perhaps being unrealistic when they let Sendek go. He immediately corrected me, saying "Well, Sendek left for greener pastures - he wasn't fired. But I will say this - I'm not a big fan of that Princeton offense Sendek ran."

Again, you may be right, but Jim's post sounded right on in his description as far as my friend goes. Sure, he may be grasping for a straw to hang on - Princeton has its trademark offense, and Dean had the 4 Corners, which made the Princeton offense look like fast break - but it seems to me that between Sendek's boring personality and his boring style of game, State fans were generally not sorry to see him go. Would a Final Four have helped him stay? Absolutely. Exhibit A: Paul Hewitt.