Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lance and the D-League

...sounds like a band. Anyhoo, nice hearing that Lance is doing well for Austin in the D-League. In looking at his stats which are pretty good, I ran across the Idaho Stampede which features former Kentucky (and NBA) great Antoine Walker as well as Eric Boateng and Luke Babbit. Other familiar names on D-League rosters:

D.J. Strawberry
    JamesOn Curry
    Scottie Reynolds
    Tiny Gallon
    Joe Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    ...sounds like a band. Anyhoo, nice hearing that Lance is doing well for Austin in the D-League. In looking at his stats which are pretty good, I ran across the Idaho Stampede which features former Kentucky (and NBA) great Antoine Walker as well as Eric Boateng and Luke Babbit. Other familiar names on D-League rosters:

D.J. Strawberry
    JamesOn Curry
    Scottie Reynolds
    Tiny Gallon
    Joe Alexander
    A few other interesting names

Patrick Patterson
    Ed Davis
    Rashad McCants
    Brandon Costner
    Solomon Alabi

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Patrick Patterson
    Ed Davis
    Rashad McCants
    Brandon Costner
    Solomon Alabi
    Pretty sure Davis and Alabi are both back on the Raptor's active roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Patrick Patterson
    Ed Davis
    Rashad McCants
    Brandon Costner
    Solomon Alabi
    What happened to Patrick Patterson? Is he injured? I'm surprised he's in the D-League. I guess I shouldn't be. Afterall, he eats his own boogers.

I'm really shocked to see Patterson's name on the list.

Smile Better than

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    What happened to Patrick Patterson? Is he injured? I'm surprised he's in the D-League. I guess I shouldn't be. Afterall, he eats his own boogers.
    eating someone else's boogers , lol. Guess he should have played his college basketball under the best coach of all time. Go Duke!

From mid-1st round pick to D-League has gotta hurt. When they sent him down to the Vipers, the Rockets told PP that they wanted him to play like he had at Kentucky -- working hard, etc. So maybe his ethic coming in wasn't the greatest?

In other words, just because Cal says it's OK to adopt the NBA lifestyle before you've earned it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I think he was hurt by Cal's coming in with a whole new style and his own recruits.

I will say this about Patrick: He graduated. I wish him well.

I really hope Lance gets an NBA roster spot later in the year. He deserves a shot.

I really hope Lance gets an NBA roster spot later in the year. He deserves a shot.

I know Lance was a hard worker, but come on now.
    If Joe Alexander can't stay in the NBA, I don't possibly see how Lance could.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-15-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Dakota just picked up Vernon Hamilton of Clemson.

You have to remember, several of the names mentioned could be guys sent down from their NBA team. This happens a lot when coaches feel guys are getting rusty sitting on the bench. Not that they are bad players just good guys ahead of them and coaches want to keep guys busy.

Matter of fact, Patrick Patterson has been recalled by the Rockets. Some guys are doing so good at the NBA level that others are just getting rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Lance has one thing going for him that Joe does not: a complete lack of the Duke curse!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Dakota just picked up Vernon Hamilton of Clemson.

You have to remember, several of the names mentioned could be guys sent down from their NBA team. This happens a lot when coaches feel guys are getting rusty sitting on the bench. Not that they are bad players just good guys ahead of them and coaches want to keep guys busy.
    McBobs had a couple trips to the league. He wasn't happy but the playing time had to better than sitting on the bench.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    McBobs had a couple trips to the league. He wasn't happy but the playing time had to better than sitting on the bench.
    and look what it did for him. Rather than sulking he took it as a motivator to work hard and DEVELOP, and now he's a starter in the NBA with a game that is just starting to blossom. Not every guy that goes to the D-League looks at it as a chance to earn $$$ while playing a game with the chance to make it to/back to the big time, some look at it as punishment, and those guys probably won't be around for much longer.

Defense, NBA teams have enough offense.

Quick question...

How many of you made it to the "NBA" of your profession the first year out of college?

The fifth year?

Lance did wonderful things for Duke and their fan base, for that he has my respect. Respect in that I won't look down on him because he hasn't or may not make the NBA. He has something most NBA players never will have.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. In Coach K I trust!

Just remember that Joe Alexander rose up the draft charts solely on the athletic ability he showed at the combine (awesome vertical leap and great quickness). While he had a good game against Duke in the Tournament, he's still a player who can't shoot, can't handle the ball, doesn't pass well, doesn't understand team defense, doesn't focus on defense, doesn't move without the ball well . . . etc. Basically, his basketball IQ is just simply not high enough for his physical talents to mean anything at all. This doesn't mean that Lance will make it in the NBA, of course, but it does mean that Joe Alexander is, in my opinion, far from the poster child of players with tons of talent that still couldn't cut it in the league.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-15-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

there are a lot more brain surgeons in the country than nba players...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Quick question...

How many of you made it to the "NBA" of your profession the first year out of college?

The fifth year?
    that is completely irrelevant unless it is a profession where the best in the world are in their 20's and 30 is approaching the end of a typical career.

D-League

I got to see my first D-League game last night between the Texas Legends and the Tulsa 66ers. It was a great game and an even better atmosphere. The players really play hard and enjoy the game at a better level than I've seen on a typical night in the NBA. They aren't bad players and they look like they are having fun. Probably in part because the season isn't as many games and in part because they are working to get into the NBA. The crowd also was into the game and I enjoyed the atmosphere. There were no business men that were there just to be seen. The true fans weren't hidden in the rafters. It reminded me of a small-time college atmosphere actually. The fans knew the players and vice versa to some extent.

If the NBA messed up their assessment of Patrick Patterson (et al.) so badly, who says they didn't underestimate Lance? Give him a shot. If he washes out, so be it. He can go hang out with all the other great players whose styles didn't match the marketing vision of the NBA entertainment juggernaut.
    Last edited by CEF1959; 12-15-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: lang

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    that is completely irrelevant unless it is a profession where the best in the world are in their 20's and 30 is approaching the end of a typical career.
    Just how old are some of these guys who developed google, facebook, IBM?

Who establishes when someone is at the end of their career? Is Shaq just 30?