Nice.

How about:
    "South Canada"/"East Flyover"
    or
    "Can't Count"/"Still Can't"
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    "less filling"/"great taste"
    Except "great taste" doesn't accurately describe the experience of watching Big Ten revenue sports. "Less filling" in the sense of unfulfilling, sure.

More seriously, here's a treatment from a logo/branding blog. The "G" is supposed to look like a zero, not a six, and the "Big" is supposed to stand on its own, so that "10" is incorporated into "Big". I kinda like this treatment, disregarding that the actual number of teams is now off by even more.

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...e.php#comments

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

More seriously, here's a treatment from a logo/branding blog. The "G" is supposed to look like a zero, not a six, and the "Big" is supposed to stand on its own, so that "10" is incorporated into "Big". I kinda like this treatment, disregarding that the actual number of teams is now off by even more.

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...e.php#comments
    That makes a little more sense. It's much more clear when you're talking about this version of the logo:

I imagine any variant of their logo that incorporates a "twelve" will run afoul of intellectual property attorneys from that ten-team conference down the road.

-jk

Talking Add the A-10 to the List of Nonsensical Names

The Atlantic 10 has 14 teams, which outshines the Big Ten with 12 and leaves the Big 12 with 10 far behind.

sagegrouse

Well then I guess they are a perfect fit!
    How's that?

Stupid Conference Alignments (cont.)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Atlantic 10 has 14 teams, which outshines the Big Ten with 12 and leaves the Big 12 with 10 far behind.

sagegrouse
    As for the names of two new Big "Ten" divisions: what a joke! Also, OSU and Michigan, and Wisconsin and Minnesota, in different divisions?? Give me a break.

Not sure whether it's been posted yet but here is Jim Delany's (Big Ten commissioner) explanation for this silliness:

"'Legends' is a nod to our history and to the people associated with our schools who are widely recognized as legends - student-athletes, coaches, alumni and faculty. 'Leaders' looks to the future as we remain committed to fostering leaders, the student-athletes who are encouraged to lead in their own way for the rest of their lives, in their families, in their communities and in their chosen professions," said Delany. "We're proud of our many legends and even prouder of our member institutions that develop future leaders every day."

How heartwarming.

Glad someone pointed out the stupidity that is the A-10(14). In case the chancellors/athletic directors of Dayton, St. Louis and Xavier hadn't noticed, their schools are located hundreds of miles from the Atlantic Ocean.

TCU's decision to join the Big East (and the conference's decision to accept them) is the one that really boggles the mind. Someone please explain this. The Big 12 wouldn't want to add TCU after Nebraska's departure, because....?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    The Big 12 wouldn't want to add TCU after Nebraska's departure, because....?
    The Big XII has plenty of exposure to TCU's market? The other Texas schools don't want them?

new ACC football division names

For the ACC - I like what I heard on radio today: "Wait till next year" division and "Wait till Basketball Season" division.

dont blame it on nebraska..please

hey now..nebraska isnt a slow team..they will bring excitement to the stagnant legends division...living in nebraska i can tell you...no one likes the division names here either

According to Webster's, one definition of "legend" is "a popular myth of recent origin." Seems to fit.

Just as I'm sure Big Twelven bigwigs found the question of what to call their divisions an arduous task, and spent literally seconds contemplating it, I'm having a hard time coming up with words that can properly express how embarassing these names are. "Colossally lame" and "cringeworthy" are all the further I can go in terms of describing how uncool this is without resorting to 4-letter words.

Too bad they didn't stick with geographical distinction - they could have done Cows and Cars, or Farms and Factories.

If you can't use geographic indicators like North/South or East/West like everyone else can, why not ust name some famous commissioners from the past not overly associated with one school? If you need to be cheesy, maybe Great Lakes and Great Plains or something. That's not quite as embarrassing as the self-grandeur involved in "Legends."

Delany: Big Ten could revisit division names

After massive negative public backlash, Big Ten commish says they may reconsider the names of the divisions after the first of the year. Says he wasn't expecting universal approval of the names, but getting almost universal non-approval was surprising to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    "Over"/"Rated"
    "Too Cold"/"Too Flat"
    "Miller"/"Miller Lite"

Plenty of better alternatives.
    Yeah, too bad "Mary Kate" and "Ashley" were already taken...

(Credit to Chipola Gator over at Mudlizard's Virtual Swamp.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

After massive negative public backlash, Big Ten commish says they may reconsider the names of the divisions after the first of the year. Says he wasn't expecting universal approval of the names, but getting almost universal non-approval was surprising to him.
    Was anyone else surprised?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Beuller?

I am suspecting that Delaney and the advertising consultant are the only ones shocked by this turn of events.

I unearthed this thread because the Big Ten will re-realign to East and West divisions once Maryland and Rutgers begin play:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...st-sources-say

Pertinent quote: "Just take a ruler and a map [and split the 14 teams]," a source said.

Geography is sacred, and I am often at odds with college sports conferences for failing to acknowledge that. However, lost in the shuffle of the Legends/Leaders disaster is just how unbalanced the Big Ten becomes when you make this most logical separation.

EAST: Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
    WEST: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

From what I can tell, the divisions are for football and do not apply to basketball. Otherwise we'd all be cheering Chris Collins' newfound good fortune.

"less filling"/"great taste"
    poached/scrambled

With the new divisions, Nebraska should win the West every year (football).