Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Are you really advising someone to try and recruit players to Duke?
    pbc writes for bluedevilnation.net and speaks with football prospects all the time. In terms of what he says or doesn't, I am sure Watzone has that down pat.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    pbc writes for bluedevilnation.net and speaks with football prospects all the time. In terms of what he says or doesn't, I am sure Watzone has that down pat.
    Are you sure that they are talking to prospects? Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here on who we are talking about. I'm thinking that the word prospect is being confused with recruit. Either way we should always avoid talking to prospects. It's easy. Let the coaching staffs do their jobs. They don't need our help.

When you encounter this, "at least its not just talk," talk with recruits. I might suggest telling them is just competitors bunk. Duke will start beating the likes of Clemson in Football again. "Recruit, you want to be a part of it? Get on the Train."
    Are you really advising someone to try and recruit players to Duke?
    Speaking with football prospects about their school lists and trying to overcome negative recruiting tactics are so far apart on the spectrum of the job of a recruiting journalist it's not even funny.

Speaking with football prospects about their school lists and trying to overcome negative recruiting tactics are so far apart on the spectrum of the job of a recruiting journalist it's not even funny.
    fair enough.

personally, i dont talk with prospects, not even a friend of mine's son, who will be a prospect for the 13 class and is being recruited by other schools at this point. Contact by coaches in recruiting is carefully controlled by the NCAA. Alums should stay way out of the way. And, we know cheating is rampant, unfortunately.

I do have a sense from some high school coaches that negative recruiting against Duke Football is out there (as we would all imagine), that Duke can be more aggressive in recruiting for the top players in going head to head with upper tier programs. Were we to become more in the running for such players, negative recruiting against Duke would increase, no doubt.

It really helps if the kids we are going after are a good fit for Duke academically. Somebody can say things like, "when will Duke ever go to a bowl?" or "sure they have an indoor practice facility, but look at the stadium." But, they really cant say that Ohio State is a better school with any kind of credibility.

Verbal commitment #13 comes from Safety Michael Westray (6'2" 185) from Westlake HS in Waldorf, Maryland:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/07/m...y-duke-commit/

Michael runs a 4.4 second 40 yard dash.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Verbal commitment #13 comes from Safety Michael Westray (6'2" 185) from Westlake HS in Waldorf, Maryland:

That's the kind of speed that gets DD excited! As well as the rest of us

Welcome to Duke, Michael!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That's the kind of speed that gets DD excited! As well as the rest of us

Welcome to Duke, Michael!
    Good size, good speed. Makes it a whole lot tougher for our foes to beat us with speed or to throw over. Ozzie is correct. Makes me very happy. And hopefully, a lot of other Duke football fans, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Only 2 of our 13 commits are under 6', that's impressive. Wonder if K will be eyeing any down the road for bench help.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Only 2 of our 13 commits are under 6', that's impressive. Wonder if K will be eyeing any down the road for bench help.
    And one of them is the kicker!

I think Deion Williams may still fill out some, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    Coach Cut gets his man: QB Thomas Sirk commits to Duke.
    Here's another nice tidbit about Sirk...he will be with the team for Spring practice in 2012.
    Sirk is scheduled to graduate from high school in December and plans to enroll at Duke in January 2012.
    http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011...270?sac=Sports
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Weekly look at Duke Football news, recruiting, etc.: Football Friday

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    Weekly look at Duke Football news, recruiting, etc.: Football Friday
    What about Renfree, Helfet, Vernon and Synderwine on the CFPA Watch Lists?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    also, in case anyone hasn't seen, Goduke posted some pics of the practice facility:

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...DB_OEM_ID=4200

its a lot more finished then it was graduation weekend...looks like it'll be a wonderful facility
    A few more photos of the facility were posted a few days ago; they look very similar to those posted from the week previous to that, but a few of the outside portions that were covered with scaffolding before are now visible as well as some other changes

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...&PALBID=405536

Edit: And they added another set literally moments ago:
    http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...&PALBID=406131
    Last edited by DueBlevil; 07-12-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DueBlevil View Post
    A few more photos of the facility were posted a few days ago; they look very similar to those posted from the week previous to that, but a few of the outside portions that were covered with scaffolding before are now visible as well as some other changes

kudos to whoever did the exterior design...that looks absolutely awesome...completely fits in with that part of campus
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DueBlevil View Post

Great stuff. I hope to be able to tour the facility one day. When is the expected completion date?

The one picture of the speaker was interesting to me. Not only will our DukeGang be able to get hype to some fine toonage but also pump crowd noise in for game situations. A glimpse into the future of Duke Football...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Great stuff. I hope to be able to tour the facility one day. When is the expected completion date?

The one picture of the speaker was interesting to me. Not only will our DukeGang be able to get hype to some fine toonage but also pump crowd noise in for game situations. A glimpse into the future of Duke Football...
    The proposed completion date is August 1st IIRC. Construction rarely finishes on time though it will definitely be ready in time for the team to practice in it.

The proposed completion date is August 1st IIRC. Construction rarely finishes on time though it will definitely be ready in time for the team to practice in it.
    That's great news. From what I have seen the upgrades have begun to pay off in recruiting as well.

I'm really excited about Duke Football and I hope the students start backing the program 100% too (I expect that will come with the W's). Living in SEC country it gets pretty tough around football season. When I say tough, I mean people laugh in my face when I say watch out for Duke Football. Hopefully this season will be one where I say, " I told you so."

That's great news. From what I have seen the upgrades have begun to pay off in recruiting as well.

I'm really excited about Duke Football and I hope the students start backing the program 100% too (I expect that will come with the W's). Living in SEC country it gets pretty tough around football season. When I say tough, I mean people laugh in my face when I say watch out for Duke Football. Hopefully this season will be one where I say, " I told you so."
    Just remember that those folks are looking for something to laugh at. If they are laughing at someone else, they can avoid looking at their own frailties.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Just remember that those folks are looking for something to laugh at. If they are laughing at someone else, they can avoid looking at their own frailties.
    Hear, Hear.

Indoor Facility

A co-worker of mine is an Auburn grad. He saw me looking at pictures of our new practice facility on DBR. He mentioned that Auburn is just finishing their facility. Then he casually mentioned that there is no way that the Duke facility is a full sized field. Apparently few college teams have a full sized indoor practice facility and Auburn is quite proud that they are building one. After a little searching, I confirmed that ours is indeed regulation sized. He was shocked.

Coach Cut is really making us a viable option for recruits.