Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1508
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    What makes it even more of a bummer is thinking about what kind of team we would have this year with a healthy Kyrie and then realizing next year with a healthy Kyrie might be just as good if not better.
    It is a frustrating thought for sure, and a thought that I am trying hard to avoid. There's no good that comes from thinking about what might have been.

I'm going to continue to hope that we get lucky and he's able to return and make a positive impact. But I think it's best to try to avoid envisioning what the team would look like with him (since it's a very real possibility that he's not going to be back).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It is a frustrating thought for sure, and a thought that I am trying hard to avoid. There's no good that comes from thinking about what might have been.

I'm going to continue to hope that we get lucky and he's able to return and make a positive impact. But I think it's best to try to avoid envisioning what the team would look like with him (since it's a very real possibility that he's not going to be back).
    This is pure speculation from a person who sees the glass 3/4 full. Right now no one knows what will happen with Kyrie. However, if his cast comes off and he starts to rehab, every Duke opponent will have to game plan for a Duke team without Kyrie and a Duke team with Kyrie. Even if he does not play this creates havoc with what opposing coaches have to do to prepare for the Duke game.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kyrie Irving believes he is playing again in a Duke uniform. This kid is 18yrs old and he is just electric with his teammates. A kid let alone a freshman does not act like he does with his team in the situation that he is in if he was not planning on returning. Look at Duke Blue Planet top five plays from the NC State game and all the post interviews done by him. After the NC State game he said he had five fouls to give and he was ready to enter the game. He is coming back and he will do everything in his rehab to make that happen.
    The Terrapin Assassin

This kid was the best Duke player ever to watch in action and watching him on the bench he's the greatest to watch with all his support and lfe he brings us. A lot of kids woiuld be pouting and feeling sorry for themselves, not Kyrie. He truely represents Duke regardless of his role. I'm so proud to see him wear our colors. Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    This kid was the best Duke player ever to watch in action and watching him on the bench he's the greatest to watch with all his support and lfe he brings us. A lot of kids woiuld be pouting and feeling sorry for themselves, not Kyrie. He truely represents Duke regardless of his role. I'm so proud to see him wear our colors. Go Devils!
    I can't agree with that just yet. The potential is there. I think we had some kid named Grant Hill, and some other kid named Jason Williams, not to mention Elton Brand, Christian somebody, J.J. Reddick, among others. He might be the best ever, but that's yet to be seen.

Why announce three weeks in advance that the cast will be removed? They are monitoring the healing each WEEK, so why announce so far in advance?

While it isn't guaranteed rehab will go as expected, I think the date was chosen with the expectation that it is toward the end of the timeline that would allow Kyrie to meaningfully play in the post season. I would imagine that Kyrie is telling them to get the cast off as soon as possible, so they agreed on this compromise.

My question is whether this is an injury that needs to heal completely before Kyrie returns, or if it is an issue of soreness/explosiveness until it heals completely. Since Kyrie was actually playing WITH the injury for a bit before being shut down and casted, I would guess that Kyrie would be able to play before it is completely healed. Would that impact the "quality" or completeness of the eventual healing?

I also have a feeling the cast comes off earlier than announced. Just a feeling based upon past experiences when the Duke staff seemed to announce a pessimistic prognosis and the player made a faster than expected return.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I also have a feeling the cast comes off earlier than announced. Just a feeling based upon past experiences when the Duke staff seemed to announce a pessimistic prognosis and the player made a faster than expected return.
    So its a big promotion for DUMC Sports medicine?
    Its a recruiting lure for Elite Players fearing the worst...

It can BE all of those things.. but I don't any sleight of hand here is intentional. Its just people wanna KNOW.. they gotta say something... and there isn't much new ground area to cover. Talking about it more wont help KI heal any faster...

It makes sense for them to discuss worse case terms. You can't be disappointed when you don't get something you weren't supposed to get..

Kinda surprised amputation hasn't been bandied about...

As a fan, I hate we only got 8 games of ki in a duke uni. I hope we get more. But the realist in me TOTALLY understands if he and his pops decide not to risk playing again this season. Nothing but love.

I'm not a guy that buys jerseys and team swag... that's just not part of who I am. But this Irving guy... He makes me want to have his jersey. If he comes back and plays I will definitely buy one.

Get well soon KI!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that Kyrie Irving believes he is playing again in a Duke uniform. This kid is 18yrs old and he is just electric with his teammates. A kid let alone a freshman does not act like he does with his team in the situation that he is in if he was not planning on returning. Look at Duke Blue Planet top five plays from the NC State game and all the post interviews done by him. After the NC State game he said he had five fouls to give and he was ready to enter the game. He is coming back and he will do everything in his rehab to make that happen.
    this plus a million...go back and look at how ty lawson looked on the bench with his injuries....not even close...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Duke Blue Planet

Have you seen the end of the 5 top plays series on Duke Blue Planet? Kyrie is conducting the interviews, and he is great! He is friendly with all the guys and seems to have some really positive relationships with Dre and Nolan.

He may not play again in a Duke uniform this year, but the guy is an integral part of the team right now. It seems that his parents/advisers/coaches are allowing him to be a kid, something we never saw with some of our other early leavers.
    DukeDevilDeb

Why announce three weeks in advance that the cast will be removed? They are monitoring the healing each WEEK, so why announce so far in advance?

While it isn't guaranteed rehab will go as expected, I think the date was chosen with the expectation that it is toward the end of the timeline that would allow Kyrie to meaningfully play in the post season. I would imagine that Kyrie is telling them to get the cast off as soon as possible, so they agreed on this compromise.

My question is whether this is an injury that needs to heal completely before Kyrie returns, or if it is an issue of soreness/explosiveness until it heals completely. Since Kyrie was actually playing WITH the injury for a bit before being shut down and casted, I would guess that Kyrie would be able to play before it is completely healed. Would that impact the "quality" or completeness of the eventual healing?

I don't know but I am sure the Wake game and pretty sure the State game KI was wearing sweats. Now I don't know if this is because of it being a road game or if maybe he is doing somethings at the shoot around they have earlier in the day. This could mean absolutely nothing but this was the only times I have noticed KI in sweats and not dressed up for game day. My prediction is still he returns for the unc game.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I don't know but I am sure the Wake game and pretty sure the State game KI was wearing sweats. Now I don't know if this is because of it being a road game or if maybe he is doing somethings at the shoot around they have earlier in the day. This could mean absolutely nothing but this was the only times I have noticed KI in sweats and not dressed up for game day. My prediction is still he returns for the unc game.
    I do think he'll be playing in the carolina away game on March 5th, and he'll have several games under his belt at that point. I don't think he'll be playing by the home game on Feb. 9th. And I doubt you'll find anyone on the planet more optoemistic than me That said, I hope you're right!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I tend to think this entire comment is directly on the money. We've seen enough "miracles" from this medical staff to think that this is totally under control. And Krzyzewski had to put out the voice of doom regardless of what he actually thinks might happen here, in case he doesn't come back. Obviously, who really knows? But it's been so hard to conceive of a March run without Kyrie a part of it.

From my very limited understanding, I believe as long as 80 percent of the range of motion is achieved, and is pain free, the athlete can return to action. From my many days spent in rehab this year with my knee, I have talked to a couple people with this injury. I remember they were advised not to return to action unless they were pain free when their range of motion was examined. This injury is so nagging that its not really something you can play through if you want to avoid surgery. Again, this is just information from chatting in the ortho's office, and I won't even pretend to know the details of Kyrie's injury.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I do think he'll be playing in the carolina away game on March 5th, and he'll have several games under his belt at that point. I don't think he'll be playing by the home game on Feb. 9th. And I doubt you'll find anyone on the planet more optoemistic than me That said, I hope you're right!
    Sorry I should have specified which unc game, I meant the away game in March.

All is quiet on the Kyrie-toe front.

Hope springs eternal, but this winter it continues to focus on a March return.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    All is quiet on the Kyrie-toe front.

Hope springs eternal, but this winter it continues to focus on a March return.
    Mike, I get the impression from your recent posts that your sources lead you to believe that some of the pessimism we hear in the national media (saying KI's return this year is likely) may be unfounded (or even in golf terms "sandbagging)...

Am I getting the wrong impression?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this plus a million...go back and look at how ty lawson looked on the bench with his injuries....not even close...
    Plus, after Lawson was cleared to play by the team docs he still sat. Anybody here think that would be even a remote possibility with KI???

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Plus, after Lawson was cleared to play by the team docs he still sat. Anybody here think that would be even a remote possibility with KI???
    Lawson wasn't out as long, so coming back and getting back in the flow of things and back in game-condition was not as much of an issue as it might be with KI. Roy has a history of poo-pooing the ACC tournament so keeping Lawson out of it was not a surprise. K likes to win it and KI might need the pressure games to be ready for the NCAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Roy has a history of poo-pooing the ACC tournament so keeping Lawson out of it was not a surprise.
    ...and now the kuralonna faithful are grasping at straws by way of claiming that El Deano's edge in ACC titles keeps him ahead of K in the overall race. I've really been enjoying the deliciousness of this particular irony of late.
    And I agree with your overall point too, though I continue to vacillate almost by the hour as to whether we'll ever get to see Kyrie in a Duke uniform again.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I tend to think this entire comment is directly on the money. We've seen enough "miracles" from this medical staff to think that this is totally under control. And Krzyzewski had to put out the voice of doom regardless of what he actually thinks might happen here, in case he doesn't come back. Obviously, who really knows? But it's been so hard to conceive of a March run without Kyrie a part of it.
    And it was K recently preaching about the need for his team to work under the assumption that KI won't be coming back to save the day. In other words, go full-out now, and don't go half-arsed in the hope/expectation that Kyrie will change everything at some later point. He wants his players to focus on what we KNOW we have now, and not what we MIGHT have in another six weeks. It all seems to be consistent. (And also similar to past experieinces of very conervative predictions of injury recovery timelines, only to have (repeated) "miracles" occur later...

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I expect to see him by late-Feb., if only for limited minutes. Mid/late-March is what really matters, of course. My only real hesitation lies around whether he's allowed to play if he's only, say, 80% come that timeframe.

Fingers crossed! But none of what the team is doing now - big-man confidence and development, depth creation, Nolan leadership/assertiveness, etc. - will detract at all if/when KI reappears.

And the crowd roared: "TOE! -- HEAL! ... TOE! -- HEAL! ... TOE! -- HEAL! ... TOE! -- HEAL!"